Photos claim to show purported gold 'iPhone 5S' next to iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Very tasteful- totally better than any Imelda Gabor "champagne" colorway as speculated over and over on here.

Masculine too- very subtle. Though definitely not something SJ would ever approve of as he loathed beige. 

Steve would never do...

• Reply 42 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

That's champagne not beige.

Apple called it "gold".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Mini

• Reply 43 of 81
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The "gold"/champagne mock-up looks a bit like 'white gold'.

Ahhh! That might be the name. I was thinking "quartz" or "sand" (goes with the whole California beach culture), but white gold sounds more straight forward. Somewhere in a conference room in Cupertino are a couple pieces of paper on a table. I would bet "white gold" is on one of those papers. I would betn a trash can, 

• Reply 44 of 81
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

From the looks of it this is just the current iPhone 5 v2. My expectations for the 2014 line up:

iPhone 5s (better camera, more sensors, fingerprint recognition) in black, white, champagne

iPhone 5e (global LTE support) in black, white, champagne

iPhone 5c (plastic shell, no LTE) in multiple colors

What does this even mean?  What are the "s" models if not the regular models "v2"? 

• Reply 45 of 81
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member

I doubt Apple would call it Champagne – they tend to favor basic, solid, strong elemental themes – glass, aluminum, silver, slate, black, white. Champagne sounds soft, fizzy, frivolous. Even with their new rainbow iPods the color names are unassuming and basic - blue, yellow, pink. So my guess is the gold color would be called something solid and elemental – like gold, or sand, or quartz (which has many hues).

It doesn't seem to follow their logic to "borrow" the old black or white bezel to go with a new gold. I would think they would give it a new basic bezel color – possibly goldish. Or maybe it'll be gold metal to give it the look of a gold bar. They might give the option to choose black or white, but that would open a whole new service of choosing optional colors – but maybe that's exactly what Apple is considering? Optional bezel colors for all three phones?

• Reply 46 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Steve would never do...

Just to be picky, neither of those are beige, and lots of folks thought the "flower power" one was actually pretty cute.  

Apple always went with "putty" over beige, even in the "beige box" days.  

What surprises me is that when people talk about bad taste decisions at Apple, they never seem to mention these horrid things:

Now that's ugly!  (and they were perceived as ugly at the time also, not just in retrospect)

And they were kind of poorly designed as well even from a functional point of view. 

• Reply 47 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

BGR was the source. And my guess is you're not the intended market for these phones. image

Thanks for the source.  I think I'd buy one if it came in purple though.  image

• Reply 48 of 81
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

From the looks of it this is just the current iPhone 5 v2. My expectations for the 2014 line up:

iPhone 5s (better camera, more sensors, fingerprint recognition) in black, white, champagne

iPhone 5e (global LTE support) in black, white, champagne

iPhone 5c (plastic shell, no LTE) in multiple colors

Why wouldn't the iPhone 5S also have global LTE support, obviating the need for a separate SKU (your proposed "iPhone 5e")?

• Reply 49 of 81

Quote:

Yes, women will love this. All the complaints are probably coming from white men.

Could be.  On the other hand I was thinking that men might like it because it's a way of not getting a jet black phone (which a lot of guys don't want) but still not having to worry about being thought of as effete or feminine because they chose the white one.  It's kind of a light-coloured white alternative.  I've always thought they should make a kind of grey one for the same reason.  Same as the white one but with grey glass instead of white.  

• Reply 50 of 81
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Secrecy. Doubled down.

Yeeaaaahhhh...

Based on history alone, everybody knows yearly updates to iPhones, iPads, iPods, etc, are coming months in advance.  My 10 year old knows that when summer gets here, a new iPhone is reaching its development end-game and subsequent launch.  It is only a question of precisely when.  Furthermore, a new iPhone launch is preceded by a massive manufacturing ramp involving tens of thousand of hands and a multitude of components vendors, with well-connected tech media swarming around the known suppliers.  As such, it is absolutely impossible to keep all details of a new iPhone secret.

Yes, I know that Tim made the statement that you are referring to, but my interpretation is that he was referring to the pipeline and details of NEW products, or at least ones that aren't on their 6th generation with a history of annual updates (roughly).  Analysts and others are certainly publicizing their opinions about iWatch, iTV, etc, but I think that when any of these new products are actually unveiled, there will be some important surprises.

Let's wait until the Apple pipeline that Tim has alluded to starts to release its contents.  Then we can assess the results of Apple's "doubled-down secrecy".

Thompson

• Reply 51 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Why have I never seen this before?! And this is just in Apple internally, not at a keynote. They must have been showing him their work. 

• Reply 52 of 81
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Man, this is what I call "innovation". A new color!. Who would have thought? This is what people really wanted, a new color! No, no 5 inch screen, no NFC, a new color! Tim Cook is a true visionary!

• Reply 53 of 81

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Man, this is what I call "innovation". A new color!. Who would have thought? This is what people really wanted, a new color! No, no 5 inch screen, no NFC, a new color! Tim Cook is a true visionary!

Come off it, please.

• Reply 54 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    Wow NFC, 5" screen. How innovative! No one has done that before!
  • Reply 55 of 81
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Why have I never seen this before?! And this is just in Apple internally, not at a keynote. They must have been showing him their work.

It was in the keynote when they introduced 10.4
  • Reply 56 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F. View Post

That looks like a great color. No doubt it will be a popular. And mark my words: other manufacturers will follow suit. I hate that people go crazy, saying Apple has lost its touch over a color.

OMG Apple invented a new color! They should patent it!

• Reply 57 of 81

Quote:

Wow NFC, 5" screen. How innovative! No one has done that before!

If they can not innovate at least they should try coping

• Reply 58 of 81
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    OMG Apple invented a new color! They should patent it!

Maybe you should patent your words, just so no one is allowed to say stupid things :D
  • Reply 59 of 81

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It was in the keynote when they introduced 10.4

I know, but these images of Steve are internal stuff. 

Oh, and remember the one they had where it cut out the mouth and would track yours to it? Whatever happened to that one?!

• Reply 60 of 81
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Funnily enough I just showed her these photos and she said she would get the champagne color if it was one of the choices available.

I showed my wife and and she wants champagne too- she got excited.  She's hispanic (but more like a coconut- brown on the outside but white in the middle).  image