Update to Apple's Find My iPhone has flat icon, breaks functionality [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday updated the official Find My iPhone application for iOS, giving it a new flat icon in step with the redesign of iOS 7, but also preventing non-developer users from signing in [updated].

Find My iPhone

Update: The issue was resolved by Apple on Thursday afternoon, and non-developers can once again log in without issue.

Find My iPhone version 2.0.3 is now available on the App Store, with Apple saying it includes bug fixes and stability improvements. However, users without a developer account are advised to hold off on updating until any issues have been addressed.

"Developer Account Required," the error message displayed to users reads. "You must be a registered iOS developer and have iCloud configured on iOS 7.0 Beta to use this version of Find My iPhone."

The new Find My iPhone icon was already revealed last week, when the iCloud.com website was updated for beta testers to reflect design changes in iOS 7.

In addition, Apple also updated its Find My Friends application on Thursday to version 2.1.1, also advertised to include bug fixes and improvements. The application and its icon still feature the same stitched leather appearance, as it has not been updated to the cleaner style of iOS 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member

Breaks functionality? For who, people not authorized to use it?

I had the same problem with a bank vault breaking the functionality of a pile of cash I wanted to get to.

• Reply 2 of 31
    Good thing iOS 6 doesn't update apps automatically.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Mine works after update.
  • Reply 4 of 31

Hasn't worked for me for weeks (on my non-developer e-mail address).

• Reply 5 of 31
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    zachlach wrote: »
    Good thing iOS 6 doesn't update apps automatically.

And with iOS7 the old apps get dumped in the bin on OSX, so no worries, even if you don't make backups.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    The click.linksynergy.com link embedded in the article is currently broken (shows a 404), not that I care.

http://appleinsider.com/l/?link=<br />https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8
  • Reply 7 of 31
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Worked just fine for me. On my test devices and my regular iPhone (still on iOS 6). Only error I got was went I logged in with an Apple ID that has never been used with iCloud. Message said I'd never used that Id with iCloud. Nothing more
  • Reply 8 of 31
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tomhayes wrote: »
    Breaks functionality? For who, people not authorized to use it?

I had the same problem with a bank vault breaking the functionality of a pile of cash I wanted to get to.

The funny thing is that if it DID work, people would be yelling about security.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Find My Friends, too, but without an icon change. Interesting.

• Reply 10 of 31
    Mine wasn't working at first but just tried again and it's working now
  • Reply 11 of 31
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Apple had some system outages with iCloud today. Perhaps the real cause?
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Tried signing in with my usual mac.com address and got the error message related to dev account. Tried again by replacing with iCloud.com and this worked. Could be timing Inbetween or address.

Edit: tried again with Mac.com and it worked. Ergo appears to be a temporary issue.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    rissriss Posts: 47member
    can't help myself, but I loath this new 'design'... current iOS6 detailed icons look so good I want to lick them - this not so much:(
  • Reply 14 of 31
    I logged in and the app worked as expected.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Mine works right at the start.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

OT: I'd like to see a privacy preference requiring user permission before an app can access the Internet.

• Reply 17 of 31

This seems silly. Had they waited until iOS 7 was out, then they would have had no problems. As it is, I imagine they will have many thousands of complaints from users who just let the updates install automatically and discover they don't work. Or (based on some posts here) do work. Or sort of work. Or ??? What a mess over nothing.

• Reply 18 of 31
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    cpsro wrote: »
    OT: I'd like to see a privacy preference requiring user permission before an app can access the Internet.

Including the clock for NTP¿
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Works fine for me and my dad. Must've fixed it
  • Reply 20 of 31
    This must be an isolated incident. I just updated on my iPhone 5 and it is working smoothly, no problems whatsoever.