Haswell-based MacBook Pros expected to ship in September - report

Comments

• Reply 101 of 138
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Oh without question, though they would still probably put in a card that wouldn't be able to handle it if they did.
  • Reply 102 of 138
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Oh without question, though they would still probably put in a card that wouldn't be able to handle it if they did.

Well, let's think. I guess we'd consider 1920x1200 the "base" resolution, so 3840x2400 would be retina, same as the 21.5" iMac. That doesn't sound infeasible for a modern mobile card.

• Reply 103 of 138
    If they used a 765M as with the Razer Blade Pro, then fine. Anything else would be a failure.
  • Reply 104 of 138
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

If they used a 765M as with the Razer Blade Pro, then fine. Anything else would be a failure.

http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/products/prodinfo_2.asp?productid=474

If this thing can do it?, that's why i asked the question earlier in the thread.

• Reply 105 of 138

Apple's reputation is starting to change, two venture capitalists told us in April.

" More generally there is a

growing level of dissatisfaction among Apple executives and employees,

and a greater willingness to explore leaving," said one investor.

Another VC told us that his firm has recently seen a noticeable increase of resumes coming in from people at Apple.

After speaking with some of these job-seekers, this source says the

cause for the increase is two-fold: startups are paying more and "Apple

culture has started to change with the new leadership on top."

In March, top Apple reporter/analyst John Gruber of Daring Fireball said that retention has become "the single biggest problem that Apple faces, and almost nobody is talking about."

I've been saying this for a while. I think Cook is a disaster. You NEVER cede the high end. This is bean counter stupidity at its finest. They need someone to head up their "PRO" line because the notebooks they're making now do not deserve that designation.

• Reply 106 of 138
    Trajan Long - Do you think he will be worse than John Sculley? Do you see Schiller or Ive leaving because of decisions made by Cook?
  • Reply 107 of 138

I don't know. This is a different era. The trend I see in their output, which the article on employee dissatisfaction is more evidence of, indicates a company in decline. Apple STILL has enormous resources and could turn it around, but the leadership must be there. As a long time Apple user, none of this gives me any pleasure. My 2 cents suggestions would be to hire new creative arts technical chief to support the audio visual pros and actually listen to what that important group needs. I would also suggest they get more bold and aggressive with innovating new products in general. I see the good enough bean counting philosophy clearly in the notebook and phone departments, because that's what l  use. As I'm working in Thailand at the moment I got a Samsung S4 for my Asian phone and it's pretty impressive. My Jan 2012 17 MBP,16gb ram, samung pro 512 gb, will just have to last for a while. Its a good unit, but i would love a higher spec'd upgrade.

• Reply 108 of 138

Quote:

Trajan Long - Do you think he will be worse than John Sculley? Do you see Schiller or Ive leaving because of decisions made by Cook?

Here's another recent article on the same subject. http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2013/08/apple-ceo-tim-cooks-uninspiring-style-pushing-employees-away/68608/

and another http://mashable.com/2013/08/22/apple-employees-leaving/

Hardware engineers in particular have a morale problem. 

Cook is the opposite of an innovator. 

• Reply 109 of 138
    I call it then. Among those hardware engineers is the next Jobs or Wozniak or Zuckerberg. Cook is going to drive him away and he is going to form his own company and it will gain traction. How much? Who knows.

Maybe an accurate depiction of Cook is Bill Lumbergh from Office Space.
  • Reply 110 of 138
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Apple's reputation is starting to change, two venture capitalists told us in April.
    Deleted quote

I've been saying this for a while. I think Cook is a disaster. You NEVER cede the high end. This is bean counter stupidity at its finest. They need someone to head up their "PRO" line because the notebooks they're making now do not deserve that designation.
    I have to say you really don't know what you are talking about. Throughout Apples history they have lost countless talented people, what is happening now is no different than what happened with the original Mac team. Think about it a bit even Woz left Apple. Woz is just a high profile personality countless others have left over the years to pursue their dreams.

As to what Cook is doing right now it is exactly what Apple needs to do. In effect they are trying to find a profitable formula to remain successful in a declining industry. If the high end isn't paying the bills so to speak you need to adjust it until it does.

That being said the big problem with the 17" MBP has always been that it is just a 15" with a larger screen. That in and of it self doomed it to declining sales. It can be argued that the real mistake is not trying to refactor the machine into something distinct from the 15" MBP. However at least they did something in killing the line instead of bleeding cash keeping it around.

In any event your attempt to blame Cook for a machine that has declined in sales over the years is a bit foolish. The 17" MBP obituary was written long before Cook had such influence at Apple.
  • Reply 111 of 138
     I don't know. This is a different era.
    It certainly is and frankly Apple is positioning itself well for the new era.
    The trend I see in their output, which the article on employee dissatisfaction is more evidence of, indicates a company in decline. Apple STILL has enormous resources and could turn it around, but the leadership must be there.
    Employee dissatisfaction means nothing. Every where I've ever been there are people dissatisfied with the business they are working for. Some people just can't be happy no matter what, others have goals they can't realize in a certain organization. In the end such survey measure nothing of value.
    As a long time Apple user, none of this gives me any pleasure. My 2 cents suggestions would be to hire new creative arts technical chief to support the audio visual pros and actually listen to what that important group needs.
    The group isn't as important as you may think. In the end the only reason Mac hardware is in these sorts of businesses is because it is cheaper than buying dedicated hardware.
    I would also suggest they get more bold and aggressive with innovating new products in general. I see the good enough bean counting philosophy clearly in the notebook and phone departments, because that's what l  use.
    This boggles the mind, have you not looked seriously at the Mac hardware line up lately. Mac Book AIR is highly innovative, bleeding edge technology really that few manufactures can even match. IMac, if that machine is your thing, can also be seen as leading the industry. Then we have the Mac Pro coming out soon which is highly innovative in so many respects it makes your statement above look silly. As to iPhone it redefined an industry and has bleeding edge hardware to support the software.

I've sen post like this before from others and have to wonder are you blind?
    As I'm working in Thailand at the moment I got a Samsung S4 for my Asian phone and it's pretty impressive. My Jan 2012 17 MBP,16gb ram, samung pro 512 gb, will just have to last for a while. Its a good unit, but i would love a higher spec'd upgrade.

Wouldn't we all! Your computer is only a year old, live with it a bit. What I'm saying here is that I understand wanting better performance, I'm one of those people that expects more from their computer than the run of the mill users. However I realize that Apple can't build beyond what its suppliers can offer. For example for this year all Haswell offers is significant power savings and a better GPU, even if Apple stuffed it into a new 17" machine it would offer you very little over that 2012 machine performance wise.

Your needs are understandable but they are not something a large company like Apple can dwell on. They need to offer machines that can be mass produced and sell well. Like it or not the 17" market is dying even in the Windows world, I've seen a number of people give the machines up as being too big to be practical. The format is likely to become a vehicle for niche players.
  • Reply 112 of 138
    winter wrote: »
    I call it then. Among those hardware engineers is the next Jobs or Wozniak or Zuckerberg. Cook is going to drive him away and he is going to form his own company and it will gain traction. How much? Who knows.

Maybe an accurate depiction of Cook is Bill Lumbergh from Office Space.

You can believe the bull shit reporting if you want but Apple has always had a stream of engineers leaving the company. By the way Steve wasn't an engineer in any shape or form and many of those engineers that left worked on some of his pet projects.

Here is the reality, change bothers people. If they see something different in the way of management they resist or run away or complain. The problem is change isn't always a bad thing, it is getting people to look beyond the past that is the problem. This can be seen in the reaction to the new Mac Pro where most complaints about the new approach simply haven't been justified by the reality of the hardware. It is resistance to change rather than rational thought that grabs people's minds.
  • Reply 113 of 138
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Here is the reality, change bothers people.

It's also possible that it was just time to move on, and the change was a catalyst. You mention pet projects, which brings me to the point that people could be worried about their roles in a company being made redundant. I'm not sure how much effort Apple makes to find new positions for such employees. It seems to vary from company to company.

• Reply 114 of 138
    I am so far gone about Jobs that I barely think about him anymore. This is about Cook. I watch him on stage and he bores me so think about anyone else. I wait for Jony Ive and Phil Schiller because they mention the stuff I care about.

He just mentions sales figures for cheap applause and mentions words that anyone could pick out of a thesaurus.
  • Reply 115 of 138

Your needs are understandable but they are not something a large company like Apple can dwell on. They need to offer machines that can be mass produced and sell well. Like it or not the 17" market is dying even in the Windows world, I've seen a number of people give the machines up as being too big to be practical. The format is likely to become a vehicle for niche players.

You obviously are not a PRO user. Its more than "niche". Its a very important segment of the computer business that drives innovation. The writing is on the wall.

Deny all you want, but these declining trends are evident. Bean counter versus innovation is an old quandary. Too much of either is not good. You think its fine for Apple to abandon this segment. I disagree. 

Time will tell. One thing I do know. The Pro segment of the market won't settle for inadequate solutions very long and they will find alternatives. It may be I have the last Apple notebook that can run Pro Tools, which requires a dedicated GPU, among other things. Thats a lot of users BTW.

As General Patton said so eloquently: Retreat, never, I don't want to capture the same real estate twice.

• Reply 116 of 138
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

The video cards on the new Mac Pro cannot be upgraded at all I found out which is bad news.

• Reply 117 of 138
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Cook has no personality at all. Like a piece of lemon sour.

• Reply 118 of 138
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It may be I have the last Apple notebook that can run Pro Tools, which requires a dedicated GPU, among other things. Thats a lot of users BTW.

The 15" Retina MBP can run Pro Tools. It has a dedicated GPU and it's even faster than the old 17". Intel Iris integrated will be faster than it too:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-Pro-Graphics-5200.90965.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M.43955.0.html

One big problem with the 17" is it's stuck with an old TN panel. Professionals need color accurate displays that have good viewing angles and don't shift colors when moving the display or viewing at a different angle. The old 17" is not suitable for this kind of high-end graphics work:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/4

Only if it gets a Retina display update will it get a good enough display for good color reproduction.
  • Reply 119 of 138

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The 15" Retina MBP can run Pro Tools. It has a dedicated GPU and it's even faster than the old 17". Intel Iris integrated will be faster than it too:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-Pro-Graphics-5200.90965.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M.43955.0.html

One big problem with the 17" is it's stuck with an old TN panel. Professionals need color accurate displays that have good viewing angles and don't shift colors when moving the display or viewing at a different angle. The old 17" is not suitable for this kind of high-end graphics work:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/4

Only if it gets a Retina display update will it get a good enough display for good color reproduction.

I'm sorry, Marvin, but Intel integrated graphics stink, IMHO.

• Reply 120 of 138
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I'm sorry, Marvin, but Intel integrated graphics stink, IMHO.

All of Apple's laptops currently use them, even the 17" when graphics switching is enabled. For demanding tasks, they have been terrible in every iteration in the past but the tests of the Iris Pro show them to be just as capable as the current dedicated graphics while drawing less power. They fall short relative to GPUs you get in the likes of Alienware:

[VIDEO]

but those aren't the kinds of laptops Apple builds and never have in their entire history. Those GPUs go into the iMac - they'd drain a battery far too quickly.