How will the MacPro be introduced?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80

They could go on and update the Store to show option pricing so that people can start figuring out how they are going to pay for this baby.  It takes time to arrange a 2nd mortgage.

:)

• Reply 42 of 80
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Marvin wrote: »
    An expensive option would be the Quadro K5000:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-k5000-mac.html#pdpContent=0

Displayport 1.2, 4K, 60Hz. But you'd be as well buying the new Mac Pro at that price.

Wow, $1800. Fortunately I don't need a new Mac and not even thinking about a 4k screen, my 30" serves my quite nice. Big thanks for the link though.
    There's a Radeon 7950:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1777&psn=&leg=0&lid=1#

but it says 4K support is only on Windows. I'm sure someone will buy one of these displays eventually and test which cards work. It's important to get one that'll run it at 60Hz too and not 30Hz.

That would be an expensive tryout.
    wizard69 wrote: »
    By the way isn't it Winter yet, I'm thinking they missed their fall debut.

As discussed before, Winter starts 21st. So two more Tuesdays.

They could go on and update the Store to show option pricing so that people can start figuring out how they are going to pay for this baby.  It takes time to arrange a 2nd mortgage.

:)

Lol. Especially if you take two 4k's with it. You know, to make the new computer useful. Easier to convince the wife as well once you start a demo. Use:
    http://vimeo.com/search?q=4k

Really great videos there.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

One Tuesday down in December and still no nMP. Sigh.

I would guess next week. If they're sticking to Tuesdays, a Dec. 17 release means people will have to work through Christmas if there's a serious software glitch upon release. And that close to Christmas, very few are going to care about the release of the new flagship.

So I'm guessing next Tuesday. But Apple is crazy, so leaving one guy in the office to email a press release out on Dec. 30 is entirely possible.

• Reply 44 of 80

Tomorrow?

• Reply 45 of 80

Tomorrow?

If not, they only have one more day beyond that to meet the deadline.

• Reply 46 of 80
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Tomorrow?</span>

If not, they only have one more day beyond that to meet the deadline.

Winter starts on the 21st, no? So where do the 10 days go to; lead-time?
  • Reply 47 of 80
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Winter starts on the 21st, no? So where do the 10 days go to; lead-time?

I guess Apple could release a product on a Sunday or something. When have they, though?

• Reply 48 of 80
    I guess Apple could release a product on a Sunday or something. When have they, though?

I'm aiming for Tuesday 17th. But whatever the date; I just hope it won't be a roll-out like last years' iMac.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I'm aiming for Tuesday 17th. But whatever the date; I just hope it won't be a roll-out like last years' iMac.

Makes you wonder what is taking so long. I have to wonder if Intel is to blame this time around? Well OK maybe not so much Intel as Apple pushing real hard to get TB2 out the door along with the new Xeon tech.

This is going to be a very interesting machine and frankly I'm waiting to hear from all of the early adopters on this forum. Likewise I'm waiting for signs of life for the Mini.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:

I waited forever for my iMac to arrive.  They really could have done it better.  

• Reply 51 of 80
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    This is going to be a very interesting machine and frankly I'm waiting to hear from all of the early adopters on this forum.

Dick Appelbaum and digital lips are getting one, and it looks like Bergermeister has got his 2nd mortgage arranged. :D
    I waited forever for my iMac to arrive.

I remember that. And somehow Sol got his first, which makes me hope you'll get yours as customer #1.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    Quote:

Tomorrow?

That was my guess.

Quote:

The 16th and 17th have been bandied about, but any serious software or hardware issues that crop up upon release (like the WD drive problem with Mavericks) would seem to require some Apple employees to work through Christmas.

What kind of company would plan for something like that?

• Reply 53 of 80
    frank777 wrote: »
    The 16th and 17th have been bandied about, but any serious software or hardware issues that crop up upon release (like the WD drive problem with Mavericks) would seem to require some Apple employees to work through Christmas.

I don't understand the December release myself for this very reason.

I missed the memo on the 16 or 17 Dec and why it is out. Do you know why these dates are unlikely?
  • Reply 54 of 80
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Have some patience.

• Reply 55 of 80
    Quote:

I remember that. And somehow Sol got his first, which makes me hope you'll get yours as customer #1.

I'm not gong to order right away.  

The main reason I want a MP is for rendering with 3D apps (which I recently have gotten into).  The main one I use now is Carrara, and sometimes Daz3D.  I contacted the maker and they said to wait a see if there is a big improvement over using a mini render farm.  The 2009 MacPro, they said was actually somewhat slow at rendering due to the design of the motherboard or something like that.

Carrara has a built-in farm engine so I might do better just to add a couple of minis.  

• Reply 56 of 80
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

The main reason I want a MP is for rendering with 3D apps (which I recently have gotten into).  The main one I use now is Carrara, and sometimes Daz3D.  I contacted the maker and they said to wait a see if there is a big improvement over using a mini render farm.  The 2009 MacPro, they said was actually somewhat slow at rendering due to the design of the motherboard or something like that.

Carrara has a built-in farm engine so I might do better just to add a couple of minis.  

Even then the Mini would be nice with a boost to Haswell. That hasn't happened yet either. It really looks like Apple doesn't give a damn about the desktop.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:

I don't understand the December release myself for this very reason.

I missed the memo on the 16 or 17 Dec and why it is out. Do you know why these dates are unlikely?

Reading on another site it appears some companies are on a fiscal year that matches the calendar year and would like the tax benefit of the nMP showing up in December. Others noted that they have approval to purchase this quarter. If it doesn't show, then they have to go through the approval process again.

What memo?

Apple traditionally releases on a Tuesday, but the nMP is billed as thinking outside the box so I guess it could be released on any day of the week.

I don't know about other people but the longer I have to wait the more I think do I really need/want it.

• Reply 58 of 80
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

It's unlikely that either of those will use the gpus to render anything other than what you see on screen during scene navigation. Offline rendering using gpus only comes up in a few places. I know of iRay (built into mental ray), Octane, and whatever pre-beta thing Blender uses. Some others use gpu rendering for draft renders, but the finals are always done on cpu. The typical issues with gpu based rendering are lack of maturity in feature sets and limitations due to things like the amount of ram available.

• Reply 59 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

It's unlikely that either of those will use the gpus to render anything other than what you see on screen during scene navigation. Offline rendering using gpus only comes up in a few places. I know of iRay (built into mental ray), Octane, and whatever pre-beta thing Blender uses. Some others use gpu rendering for draft renders, but the finals are always done on cpu. The typical issues with gpu based rendering are lack of maturity in feature sets and limitations due to things like the amount of ram available.

I should have been clearer.

I had asked about the new MacPro and whether it would be good for rendering, or whether might be better to set up a small render farm (say an 8-core MP versus 2 quad-core machines or even 3 or 4, giving more cores than the single MP (I assume the 12-core will be out of my reach).  I am of course worried about the minis and heat.

The answer was: it's not known yet.  Though a multi-core machine usually will  be faster than a farm of the same core count, it depends on the motherboard of the machine as to how good it will be.  He pointed out the 2009 MP as an example of an 8-core machine that was actually quite slow at rendering, due to the layout of the board or something technical that I can't grasp.  The apps do not utilize the GPU for rendering.

He suggested waiting to see how the new MP does in real use and then decide.  They might actually get one and be able to test it.

As my current iMac is pretty good I am not in a hurry.

• Reply 60 of 80

Okay, so I guess it's the 16-17th.  :err: