Photo claims to show dozens of 'iPhone 5C 'units passing through QA testing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121

Fake photo, or real, in just under 3 weeks we will hopefully know exactly what iPhones Apple has in store for us this year. That's if the rumour about Sept 10th is correct.

Hope this photo is fake, as I hope they take more care of them than is shown by this photo. If it's real, it could explain how & why the iPhone 5 suffered the damaged finish problems at first. Just a thought.

• Reply 22 of 121
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's the dumb worker's account number on weibo, I think.

Ah, thanks.

• Reply 23 of 121
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by oomu View Post

"if you think about it"

I thought about it, and no, it does not make sense, invalidating your whole theory of "thinking about it".

Okay, I was probably too brief, sorry. 

The way I see it, it makes more sense to go with black because there are more than just white phones, there are green and blue and red phones.  It therefore makes no sense for them to make multicoloured (blue, red, green) fronts, so the fronts will either be all white, or all black.  

On balance, there are a few more reasons to go with black than white.  Two reasons being that the iPods are already almost the exact same shape with white fronts and coloured backs (black differentiates), and the original iPhone aesthetic is all black to begin with.  Also, all the Android and Windows Phone phones (the competition) they are attempting to disrupt with this model, also have coloured backs with black fronts, (but that could be a reason either to copy or to go the opposite way).  

It's a bit of a tossup and I suppose they could go with white, but before we saw this picture I would argue that the odds were about 60/40 that they would go with black.  Now the picture appears and they are black, I would argue that there is no reason to think it's fake.  

There could also be a giant pile of phones with white fronts (i.e. they could offer both) just to one side of this pile, but I don't think they would bother with that many SKU's at launch.  

They had to go with all white or all black, and I think on balance that black makes more sense. 

• Reply 24 of 121
    macartmacart Posts: 78member

Bad Photoshop!

• Reply 25 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

Hope this photo is fake, as I hope they take more care of them than is shown by this photo. If it's real, it could explain how & why the iPhone 5 suffered the damaged finish problems at first. Just a thought.

It's probably real, and you're just misreading the photo.

No way do they make millions of iPhones and then have all of them loosely scattered around in refrigerators.

It's obviously a small test batch. That's how modern manufacturing works. It doesn't matter if you're mass producing beer or iPhones, the same principles apply.

• Reply 26 of 121
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Quote:

Originally Posted by murman View Post

These phones are different from earlier leaks, the front plate for these are black with white backs, where it was all white before.

Thanks for saying what the article already said.

• Reply 27 of 121
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Black front makes sense..the Apple logo and typeface on the back are all black.

I've been thinking over the past few weeks that it was a high possibility these would have black fronts because of the logos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The way I see it, it makes more sense to go with black because there are more than just white phones, there are green and blue and red phones.  It therefore makes no sense for them to make multicoloured (blue, red, green) fronts, so the fronts will either be all white, or all black.  

On balance, there are a few more reasons to go with black than white.  Two reasons being that the iPods are already almost the exact same shape with white fronts and coloured backs (black differentiates), and the original iPhone aesthetic is all black to begin with.  Also, all the Android and Windows Phone phones (the competition) they are attempting to disrupt with this model, also have coloured backs with black fronts, (but that could be a reason either to copy or to go the opposite way).  

It's a bit of a tossup and I suppose they could go with white, but before we saw this picture I would argue that the odds were about 60/40 that they would go with black.  Now the picture appears and they are black, I would argue that there is no reason to think it's fake.  

There could also be a giant pile of phones with white fronts (i.e. they could offer both) just to one side of this pile, but I don't think they would bother with that many SKU's at launch.  

They had to go with all white or all black, and I think on balance that black makes more sense. 

You're first reason is valid and likely.

Black fronts for the 5C differentiates it from the iPod Touch and also the 5S because there is no black back option for the 5C unlike the slate back on the 5S.

You're second reason concerns me.

I don't know if Apple did this because of the competition but regardless of their reason, Tech Pundits and outsiders will immediately ASSUME Apple chose black front/colored back because of the competition.

• Reply 28 of 121
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't be pointlessly confrontational.

Pot, meet kettle.

Hey, everyone! The fat guy is telling everybody to lose some weight!

• Reply 29 of 121

Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Pot, meet kettle. Hey, everyone! The fat guy is telling everybody to lose some weight!

Once again, try again. I'm needfully confrontational.

• Reply 30 of 121

During the final stages of iPhone 5 manufacturing, they were given to pitbulls as chew toys. Some may have sustained damage to their finish.
  • Reply 31 of 121

Quote:

Once again, try again. I'm needfully confrontational.

Yeah, you need to confront and belittle others to make yourself feel superior.

• Reply 32 of 121

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Yeah, you need to confront and belittle others to make yourself feel superior.

Hilarious.

• Reply 33 of 121
    They may be testing substandard chargers, cords & conditions to develope safegaurds to keep Chinese people from getting electricuted
  • Reply 34 of 121
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">Yeah, you</span>
    <strong style="line-height:1.231;">need</strong>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">to confront and belittle others to make yourself feel superior.</span>

Hilarious.

TS, stop. Please.

You're derailing this thread.
  • Reply 35 of 121

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

TS, stop. Please.

You're derailing this thread.

Yes, I, not those attacking me; of course. image

• Reply 36 of 121
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

to add a few thoughts to your argument, both for and against:

1. (Against) the article claims these are in a testing phase.  Could it be that they just threw together a couple dozen phones not really caring what the front bezel is?

2. (For) Perhaps its cheaper to produce the black bezel vs. the white one.

3. (For) if they are trying to minimize the cost of production.  A single color face would make the most sense.  However, since we've seen in past leaks that they will produce a black iPhone 5C, then going with black for al the other colored bodies seems to make more sense than having all white bezels and having the one odd-ball black with white bezel.

4. (Against) the same argument could be raised about the white front.  Since all the other iPhone/iPod Touch models do offer the white front/colored back, it would make more sense for consistency of the line.

5. (For) but to make this product stand out as something different or less expensive, the standard black front could be a ways to do this.  Look that the "budget" model of the iPod touch.  Alum. back and Black front.

Personally, i would like them to go back to the all black fronts.  My first iPhone was the white iPhone 3G and i thought that was a great combination.  I really hate the colored back and white front look.  I think it distracts too much from the content on the screen.  That being said, iOS 7 seems to have much more white on the screen than before, so maybe the white will make more sense once we get on iOS 7 but for all intents and purposes...in general the white bezel provides too much contrast to the screen content.  I've never liked it.  Since when have you seen a computer monitor or TV with a White bezel?  I really wish even the White/silver 5S would go with a black front.  Would make it look more like the original iPhone which I still think is a great design.  much more easy to hold than these chamfered corner phones.  But Apple puts sharp corners on lots of devices where they shouldn't be (i.e. at the edges of the Macbooks where you hand/wrist always seems to lay).

• Reply 37 of 121
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I hope this isn't how iPhones are tested. This is a mess! Some of the power/interface connectors look too big. Of course, this photo isn't clear enough to show what's on the screens.

It could be how a batch of pre-production units could be tested that won't actually be shipped to a customer.

• Reply 38 of 121
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

It's because of people like this bitch that took the photo that security measures increase, leading to more inefficiency, difficulty, monitoring, and inconvenience for employees who don't take illegal pics like this and post them online. And she just got hired in mid-July. Hope it was worth her ass being fired. 

• Reply 39 of 121
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Hilarious.

Uh, it's hilariously accurate, and you know it. I've seen thousands of instances of it from you, as have dozens of posters here- it can't be all coincidence that so many people agree. Anyway, if I were you I'd just ignore these posts point this out, because constantly responding in such an indignant, sarcastic way doesn't reflect well on you. Neither does accusing others of being confrontational. If responding with a tirade every time someone mentioned "iPhone 5" isn't considered confrontational, I don't know what is. Nor the dozens of other topics you were so obsessively religious on, only to be proven wrong in the end. Granted, it seems you've chilled out, but you

re still not in a position to accuse others of such behavior, or deny engaging in it, based on your posting history. 

• Reply 40 of 121
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

to add a few thoughts to your argument, both for and against:

1. (Against) the article claims these are in a testing phase.  Could it be that they just threw together a couple dozen phones not really caring what the front bezel is?

2. (For) Perhaps its cheaper to produce the black bezel vs. the white one.

3. (For) if they are trying to minimize the cost of production.  A single color face would make the most sense.  However, since we've seen in past leaks that they will produce a black iPhone 5C, then going with black for al the other colored bodies seems to make more sense than having all white bezels and having the one odd-ball black with white bezel.

4. (Against) the same argument could be raised about the white front.  Since all the other iPhone/iPod Touch models do offer the white front/colored back, it would make more sense for consistency of the line.

5. (For) but to make this product stand out as something different or less expensive, the standard black front could be a ways to do this.  Look that the "budget" model of the iPod touch.  Alum. back and Black front.

Personally, i would like them to go back to the all black fronts.  My first iPhone was the white iPhone 3G and i thought that was a great combination.  I really hate the colored back and white front look.  I think it distracts too much from the content on the screen.  That being said, iOS 7 seems to have much more white on the screen than before, so maybe the white will make more sense once we get on iOS 7 but for all intents and purposes...in general the white bezel provides too much contrast to the screen content.  I've never liked it.  Since when have you seen a computer monitor or TV with a White bezel?  I really wish even the White/silver 5S would go with a black front.  Would make it look more like the original iPhone which I still think is a great design.  much more easy to hold than these chamfered corner phones.  But Apple puts sharp corners on lots of devices where they shouldn't be (i.e. at the edges of the Macbooks where you hand/wrist always seems to lay).

Yeah, my initial instinct was just "black fronts? … makes sense" but in writing it out in detail, there are some reasons to go with white.  I still think on balance that black wins out though.  

Maybe they will make both, but for production simplicity and given that they are already making multicoloured back pieces, I think they will go with the rest of the phone being identical. It makes it far easier to switch volumes on the SKU's. Like if lime green isn't selling and they have a warehouse full of them, they could easily pull out the guts and put it in white backs and save the majority of their costs on that inventory.  If they are going for cheap production, they should also be going for flexible production.  

I think the picture seems real enough though and that alone is a convincing argument that they are going with all black fronts.  

As with all of this kind of rumour and speculation, I could of course be completely wrong. image