CEO Steve Ballmer's exit not as 'planned' or 'smooth' as suggested by Microsoft

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 133
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

Nope.

It happens daily; I'm bad, but I can remember daily.

Now I don't know why I am continuing with this, as you would be the first claim someone doesn't own or use what they say they do.

But, please list all the machines, the models, specs, plus the version, and edition of Windows, plus what sp level they are at.
  • Reply 122 of 133
    Maybe for Ballmer's next job -- he should should replace Miley Cyrus' father...
  • Reply 123 of 133
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    All that would do is get me the ability to drag to my Windows partition from OS X. It solves nothing about how Windows can't copy a file.

Because there is nothing to solve. Windows can copy files. Your computer(s) can't.
    And somehow it's now my fault for buying a Mac Pro when I did? It's my fault that Apple's included driver doesn't work properly?

It is Apple's and AMD's fault for not providing reliable drivers - if that is the issue.

Your fault, if any, is just your refusal to accept the truth.
  • Reply 124 of 133
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Because there is nothing to solve. Windows can copy files. Your computer(s) can't.

Seems odd that every Windows PC I've ever had to use, across five OS', has this problem, then.

It is Apple's and AMD's fault for not providing reliable drivers - if that is the issue.

Agreed. New problem: I imagine it's Windows' problem, however, that when it boots running the WDDM 1.1 driver it goes to 640x480, but then manually reapplying said driver during runtime—while it's already "working perfectly", according to the OS itself—takes me back to 2560x1440.

Your fault, if any, is just your refusal to accept the truth.

"Truth" would require that all observational data not continue to support the conclusions.

• Reply 125 of 133
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Not to worry - they're already working on finding a replacement for Ballmer:

http://scoopertino.com/that-was-fast-microsoft-announces-ceo-short-list/
  • Reply 126 of 133
    Seems odd that every Windows PC I've ever had to use, across five OS', has this problem, then.

Well, since I am working for IT support company... I just run filters through support tickets and none returned with anything "file copy" related. We are talking about well over 1000 desktops and laptops.

I have also went through 3 PCs at work since 2007, and 7 machines at home (3 desktops, 4 laptops) since I moved away from XP. I'm copying CD/DVD images, game backups from Steam, DVD and BD rips... with no problems. I'm also involved in equipment purchase for internal company's use, so if any system engineer or helpdesk support of ours had such problem, I'd hear about it already.

Even if we focus on my personal experience only. We are talking about 3 different Windows OSes, across 8 different hardware configurations, and 2 different networks (home and work) which have both changed through years as well. No problem with large files copying. At all.

Look... I'm not saying that you are not telling truth. But I'm saying that your problem is not caused by Windows itself, but something else in your environment. I just did a quick googling for "windows 7 large file copy freeze" and hits came out. First on the list was related to "Symantec AV Bloodhound(TM) heuristic virus detection" which, when enabled, was freezing PC completely. 2nd thread was pointing to firewall. 3rd problem is happening when user copies to/from his 1 TB Hitachi drive. Etc. Etc.

Windows will copy well if everything else involved - software, hardware, infrastructure - is functioning well. Your problem is not in Windows. But if you prefer to blame Windows, fine.
    Agreed. New problem: I imagine it's Windows' problem, however, that when it boots running the WDDM 1.1 driver it goes to 640x480, but then manually reapplying said driver during runtime—while it's already "working perfectly", according to the OS itself—takes me back to 2560x1440.

I can't answer you this. In all my experience with graphics cards, and - being a gamer - I did change quite a few - I never had such a problem. It sounds like your GF software is not updating configuration correctly. Is that configuration saved in registry or somewhere else, I wouldn't know. I'd try to revert to standard VGA driver, run something like CCleaner or, even better (but also time consuming), look for manual uninstall procedure for ATI drivers - basically remove all traces of ATI driver, reboot and reinstall. Might help, might not.

Thinking of it... If that was PC, I'd plug new VGA card inside. You can get performance over ATI 4xxx for quite affordable price nowadays. But I'm guessing you don't have such freedom on Mac Pro?
    "Truth" would require that all observational data not continue to support the conclusions.

Something to be observed here: your observational data is probably below 1% of my observational data. In addition, observed symptoms are not necessarily the cause of the problem.
  • Reply 127 of 133
    jragosta wrote: »
    Not to worry - they're already working on finding a replacement for Ballmer:

http://scoopertino.com/that-was-fast-microsoft-announces-ceo-short-list/

Wow. Is this the best average pro-Apple blogger can do? Quite... disappointing.

I'm still failing to see reasons for this... hysteria... that so many Apple fans exhibit towards Ballmer.

My old boss used to say, "each fool has his joy". Might be one of those.
  • Reply 128 of 133
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I'm still failing to see reasons for this... hysteria... that so many Apple fans exhibit towards Ballmer.

S. Ballmer : Worst CEO              http://techday.com/it-brief/news/without-a-doubt-steve-ballmer-is-the-worst-ceo-today/168898/

S. Jobs : CEO of the decade      http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/steve_jobs/2009/

• Reply 129 of 133
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Why do you say this about Steve B.?

• Reply 130 of 133
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Why do you say this about Steve B.?

Being forced in my entire professional career to use MS crap, I hate this guy in particular, and MS in general. It is a great pleasure for me to read all news concerning Microsoft, as they all characterize a no future company. Unless they reinvent their business (as IBM did), which I doubt,  they have no future, and I am happy with this.

• Reply 131 of 133
    hydrogen wrote: »

Well, that is one opinion.

This is another one:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/08/microsoft-needs-a-new-ceo-who-probably-doesnt-exist/

I think it is a bit more realistic. In light of disaster CEOs like HP's Leo Apotheker was, only recently, calling SB the worst CEO is just not right.

Microsoft could have done much better, but Microsoft could have done much worst as well.
  • Reply 132 of 133
    hydrogen wrote: »

Being forced in my entire professional career to use MS crap, I hate this guy in particular, and MS in general. It is a great pleasure for me to read all news concerning Microsoft, as they all characterize a no future company. Unless they reinvent their business (as IBM did), which I doubt,  they have no future, and I am happy with this.

This is also unrealistic. Don't hold your breath over MS's future-less karma, your lungs will explode.
  • Reply 133 of 133
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    So who are the bookies giving the best odds for next MS headmaster? None other than former Zunian Stephen Elop at 5-1.

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/vegas-bookies-microsofts-ceo/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+geekwire+(GeekWire)