New iPads will not be introduced at Apple's Sept. 10 event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

How many AI  reported leaks vs last year vs the year before.

Not good enough. The important factor is the difference in rumor->real between this year and the last, not just "all leaks".

• Reply 22 of 47
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Macs at the iPhone event? "Still" a possibility? When did that idea ever make any sense?
  • Reply 23 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Yes, but considering the frequency, number and accuracy of leaks have all increased since they "doubled down" on secrecy, that whole idea is a bit of a joke really. 

Unless there's something really big in the works that you have heard nothing about. If that's the case, you'll be the first to take back this 'bit of a joke' business when you finally get wind of it, won't you?
  • Reply 24 of 47
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Proof is cause I said so, (basically the same reasoning you apply to all your "pronouncements from the mount").  

Other than yourself though, I don't think you'd find many folks who follow the rumours that disagree.  

I disagree. It seems about the same as always for me. Apple has some leaks and some that don't- just like in the past.

Remember the iPhone 4? We had a teardown of that. But we heard little about the rMBP and nothing of the iPad 4. So it's give and take like always. Not to mention the capabilities people have now with tiny pocket cameras.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Doesn't apple usually give notice two weeks before an event? But i was expecting two events this fall, they cant show everything at one, iphone, ipad, mac, and ipod. The only thing I would like to see is more macs with the new ac wifi , i would be curious about the next iphone as it seems gazelle is offering good deals and the possible apple trade in for credit as well.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    flaneur wrote: »
    Unless there's something really big in the works that you have heard nothing about. If that's the case, you'll be the first to take back this 'bit of a joke' business when you finally get wind of it, won't you?

I think you're touching on what everyone else seems to be missing about the doubling down on secrecy. Keeping new iphone designs secret is important but it isn't the Crown Jewels of secrets. It was that before 2007 though. And just before the iPad was announced all the competition had no clue what we would see, and I'd argue it took them quite a while to fully understand it. That's where secrecy matters.

Certainly Jim Dalrymple saying yes or nope to a rumor has no importance secrecy wise. It's not a game of secrets. "Look everyone we caught them not being secret". In general if you don't need to say anything (yet) then don't.But if you think it might be prudent to manage people's expectations a bit so they don't burn down their local apple store when we don't deliver new iPads, then maybe we should give Jim a sign.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    vaporland wrote: »
    long awaited flying car will not be introduced sept 10

Damn. I was looking forward to a Mr. Fusion powered iCar.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The iPad will likely be using the successor GPU to the SGX 554 which would be the PowerVR G6630:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Imagination-announces-PowerVR-G6630----up-to-60-times-the-graphics-prowess-of-current-iPhones-and-iPads_id36770

It's noted as being 1TFLOP vs just under 80GFLOPs for the current model. In actual real-time performance, it'll likely be around 3x the current iPad but there are different things to measure. For example compute performance for more advanced shaders makes games look nicer but the game doesn't have to run at a higher frame rate or resolution.

Apple could well be able to say 10x the GPU power over last year if they use this GPU even if that doesn't translate into 10x higher frames per second.

This GPU roadmap is listed as 2013/2014 so it could be launched early 2014. With that kind of graphics power though, it would be nice if the GPUs were available in time for Christmas as they can take on the next-gen consoles. Hardware controller + iPad + some iOS exclusive games and that would make a nice Christmas for a lot of kids. It's not going to be a replacement for older kids/teens that need their Call of Duty fix but it would still be appealing for some and you never know, with this kind of power, pretty much every AAA game that exists on the PS3 and 360 can be ported over. The exclusives won't but the cross-platform ones can be.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    This is expected because Cook said that it was a mistake to introduce so many new products all at once last year. Thereby causing problems with supply chain and attendent issues to do with initial dropping profit per device because at the start of a newer product cycle the parts are relatively more costly due to waste etc. than when the manufacturing process is mature. Having many new devices all coming out at the same time cause Apple's ROI to drop earlier in 2013. This time around they are going to phase them in. This will no satisfy the people who need their fix of new products created by all the rumors this year. All we will be getting is the iPhone5 , iPhone5c and the new OS's on Sept 10th. A month or two later they will launch the new iPads and perhaps the Apple TV or iWatch in time for Christmas. Watch the herd make lots of noise decrying lack of innovation - tough tittes!
  • Reply 30 of 47
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I disagree. It seems about the same as always for me. Apple has some leaks and some that don't- just like in the past.

Remember the iPhone 4? We had a teardown of that. But we heard little about the rMBP and nothing of the iPad 4. So it's give and take like always. Not to mention the capabilities people have now with tiny pocket cameras.

Well opinions differ and it's a subjective assessment I'm making, but I was thinking a longer time frame.  I don't remember thing one on the original iPhone for instance, whereas we already know every physical detail of the upcoming iPhone 5S except the home button and have detailed high-res pictures of the parts.  The original iPad was also a complete surprise and the leaks for iPad two seemed few and far between.  It was always like that back in the day for older Apple products as well.  No one knew much of anything until they were revealed. 

I could go on and I know some won't agree anyway, but I think it's a fair assessment that leaks have increased over time.  They certainly haven't *decreased* by a factor of two as would be suggested by the famous Cook quote. 

• Reply 31 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

Doesn't apple usually give notice two weeks before an event?

5 - 10 days notice.

• Reply 32 of 47
    Seriously though... will they introduce the new Mac Pro?
  • Reply 33 of 47

Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Seriously though... will they introduce the new Mac Pro?

Why? It was already introduced. If anything, a silent addition to the store when it comes back online.

• Reply 34 of 47
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Why? It was already introduced. If anything, a silent addition to the store when it comes back online.
    My guess is they'll give it and mavericks both a release date whenever they give the mavs release date that is.
  • Reply 35 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm not sure I agree with this. It was a "sneak preview" at WWDC (yes, an introduction). But I think they're going to make a bigger deal of its release than that. It's their new "innovation flagship" of the moment…

I think they'll highlight it at an event like this, detailing the specific model increments and pricing, additional features/changes to the announced design, and drum up some additional buzz over it. They want to sell a ton of them, and to make it compelling they're going to have to pitch it a bit more.

I expect the usual 2 to 3 models, from entry level to top-of-the-line. I don't expect it to appear quietly, almost anti-climacticly, with no further ado.

Why do you think they would do a "silent addition" of this new, very interesting renewal of the Mac Pro?

• Reply 36 of 47

Has the September 10th date been confirmed? Have press releases gone out or something? I missed a few news articles last week.

• Reply 37 of 47

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Why do you think they would do a "silent addition" of this new, very interesting renewal of the Mac Pro?

Because they already announced and explained it? Because they've never shown a product twice? They didn't hold the October iMac event and then another event when it actually came out.

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Has the September 10th date been confirmed?

No.

• Reply 38 of 47
    Very disappointed in having to wait it out till October! I would like Apple to announced the iPad line up the same time!
  • Reply 39 of 47
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    andysol wrote: »
    Duh?  Why would they release them at the same time?
    Because they are running out of time. Apple has not had a significant release of an available product all year. If not September, when? I suspect they won't even be offering some products for immediate sale as it is.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    icarbon wrote: »
    NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!
    This September event will also not include an update of the MacBook Air!
    Nor will it include Jet-propelled laptops.
    or solar-powered iphones that can charge your laptop (although I wish it did).

admittedly, this is a good service Jim is providing, but the title just seems to pick me up and throw me at sharp objects.

Actually, I know a guy whose cousin's boyfriend's father's nephew's stepson's former roommate is a janitor at Apple, and I can unequivocally confirm the rumor about jet-powered laptops launching September 10th.

You heard it here first!