$89K worth of counterfeit Apple products seized by police from Maryland mall

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
Two stores at Maryland's Arundel Mills Mall were discovered by police to be carrying hundreds of knock-off Apple products and components, falsely being offered under the guise of authorized Apple repair shops.

Counterfeit
Counterfeit Apple products seized by Maryland police. Credit: WBAL TV.


Police estimate the value of the items found at the stores to be around $89,000, according to WBAL TV in Baltimore, Md. The counterfeit items were reportedly taken from raids on the mall's Cyberion store and ST Tech Pros kiosk.

The products seized include colored iPhone conversion kits, allowing customers to give a new look to their smartphone. But the parts were improperly adorned with the official Apple logo, suggesting to customers that the knock-off parts were authentic.

Other fake parts included covers, cases and replacement screens, for both the iPhone and iPad. Police had an Apple representative check the items to confirm they were fakes.

Counterfeit
Counterfeit Apple products seized by Maryland police. Credit: WBAL TV.


In addition to putting the Apple logo on non-Apple parts, the shops were allegedly engaged in other activities, such as putting black stickers over parts to cover up the fact that they were counterfeit.

Authorities also said that the unauthorized repair shops were taking iPhones and replacing interior parts with inferior components not built or provided by Apple. The raids were conducted after a 7-month investigation.

Dealing with counterfeit products is not a new issue for Apple, though most of the company's troubles with knock-offs tend to stem from China, not the U.S. Some have even gone as far as to build entire fake Apple stores in China.

Otterbox, a case maker that specializes in Apple's iPhone, also announced this month that it had shut down a counterfeit operation and secured a $2 million court victory against a New York-based company named S&P Trading Inc.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 29
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    The Apple logo is bigger than Apple. It belongs to the world!

    j/k
  • Reply 2 of 29


    It's crazy that people are manufacturing this stuff.  To go through all that trouble and not have your own brand name to print on it?  That's just weird...

  • Reply 3 of 29

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post


    It's crazy that people are manufacturing this stuff.  To go through all that trouble and not have your own brand name to print on it?  That's just weird...



     


     


    People want a quality brand, probably with a good warranty. Thinking about it, I wonder if any Samsung knock-offs have been made?

  • Reply 4 of 29
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Nice to see someone getting arrested over this, but where I live if you stopped this sort of thing, you would have to arrest tens of thousands of people a year. Even high end stores downtown sell fake (Apple branded) chargers for iPods right in the front window.

    How would you get a pink one otherwise? Apple doesn't sell those.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    marskmarsk Posts: 30member


    "$89K worth of counterfeit Apple products seized by police from Maryland mall"


     


    Are they talking about Samsung? ~

  • Reply 6 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,865member
    That's crazy. Everyone knows the Apple logo is the convergence of logo design. Apple is trying to have a monopoly on fruit themed logos. /s

    Dear authorities, you'll find more idevice knockoffs under the Galaxy brand.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,327member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by marsk View Post


    "$89K worth of counterfeit Apple products seized by police from Maryland mall"


     


    Are they talking about Samsung? ~



     


    It wouldn't be worth that much.

  • Reply 8 of 29
    But iPhone 5C photos must be real. They have the Apple logo. /s
  • Reply 9 of 29
    auxio wrote: »
    It wouldn't be worth that much.

    Each fake Samsung phone still counts towards the number they shipped. :lol:
  • Reply 10 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post



    Nice to see someone getting arrested over this, but where I live if you stopped this sort of thing, you would have to arrest tens of thousands of people a year. 


    No arrests have been made.


     


    http://www.wbaltv.com/news/maryland/anne-arundel-county/police-seize-hundreds-of-counterfeit-apple-products/-/10137088/21698892/-/11ka12wz/-/index.html#.Uh_6SxB90hY.link

  • Reply 11 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jungmark wrote: »
    That's crazy. Everyone knows the Apple logo is the convergence of logo design. Apple is trying to have a monopoly on fruit themed logos. /s

    Dear authorities, you'll find more idevice knockoffs under the Galaxy brand.

    How dare Apple stop those poor small business owners from earning a living? Apple has plenty of money so they shouldn't worry about $89 K. /s
  • Reply 12 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    People want a quality brand, probably with a good warranty. Thinking about it, I wonder if any Samsung knock-offs have been made?

    I don't think one could create a worse-than-Samsung-quality product.
  • Reply 13 of 29

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post


     


     


    Thinking about it, I wonder if any Samsung knock-offs have been made?



     


    How would you tell? image

  • Reply 14 of 29

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



    That's crazy. Everyone knows the Apple logo is the convergence of logo design. Apple is trying to have a monopoly on fruit themed logos. /s



    Dear authorities, you'll find more idevice knockoffs under the Galaxy brand.


    Wrong! Having a Apple Device in some countries is a status that you are wealthy or rich. You rarely see people wanting their Galaxy SIII in all pink, green, etc. sure you see some but how often? 1 time in the last 2 years... How many people do you see if colored iPhones? Thousands. Apple has the most customers, sure Samsung is right there with them, but the majority of people have iPhones. If you broke it down by company Apple would be first with Samsung, but you have to remember that samsung does only make the Galaxy line, they make the cheap ones too. Take out the cheap ones, bam Apple is in the lead by a lot. Apple is the most popular phone company, if you put all the companies that license Android you've got more but more people have iPhones than Galaxy's. 

  • Reply 15 of 29

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post





    I don't think one could create a worse-than-Samsung-quality product.


    Its possible. Working for a repair company in Maryland ive seen it, and when that happens we send the part back to get a better one. We have a 6 month warranty on all of our parts that covers defects but not water damage of physical damage. We sell OEM parts and for Apple parts we do not sell backs with logos, they are straight black, or white, or whatever color you want, and we tell that to customers. Its the same quality part just with nothing printed on the back. 

  • Reply 16 of 29
    And they charger the full prices obviously, anything with the apple logo has to always Cost 10 times it would without /s
  • Reply 17 of 29

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post



    And they charger the full prices obviously, anything with the apple logo has to always Cost 10 times it would without /s


    Full price would be a brand new phone for 200+, repair is less than 100...

  • Reply 18 of 29
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post


     


    How would you tell? image



    Higher quality.

  • Reply 19 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,865member
    atokosch wrote: »
    Wrong! Having a Apple Device in some countries is a status that you are wealthy or rich. You rarely see people wanting their Galaxy SIII in all pink, green, etc. sure you see some but how often? 1 time in the last 2 years... How many people do you see if colored iPhones? Thousands. Apple has the most customers, sure Samsung is right there with them, but the majority of people have iPhones. If you broke it down by company Apple would be first with Samsung, but you have to remember that samsung does only make the Galaxy line, they make the cheap ones too. Take out the cheap ones, bam Apple is in the lead by a lot. Apple is the most popular phone company, if you put all the companies that license Android you've got more but more people have iPhones than Galaxy's. 

    I think you misread it. In short, Galaxies are iPhone knockoffs.
  • Reply 20 of 29


    The definition of a loser: A store trying to sell knock-off Microsoft Surface RTs.

Sign In or Register to comment.