Prototype Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch shown off in pictures

Comments

• Reply 81 of 155
    They should've just waited for apple to come out with their product, then copy it.
  • Reply 82 of 155
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member
    As an aside, @jonyo thanks for spelling bated correctly. What a rarity :-)

IMHO, if this really does represent any iteration in Samsung's attempts at a smart watch, they blew it for the simple reason that the thing would fit more comfortably oriented in landscape, i.e. with the wrist strap connected to the watch's long sides.
  • Reply 83 of 155

This is the place where Apple type innovation is really required. Okay so Sammie's watch in the pic is fugly, brutally fugly. It is a Curly double take, ugly. But the hideousness of it didn't bother me as much as a 10hr battery did. It wouldn't make it through a workday. That is stupid. And why they hell would they need a wi-fi antenna on a watch? But that begs the question, "Just what do you need from a watch?'. And what should you be going through to get it. Is the watch an extension of the phone in your pocket, or something in an of itself? 

We want easy to access, but very specific data based on something we entered into our iOS system. First we want the time. Then we want calendar info, call info (before we pull the phone out of our pocket). Some message information. Some health information. We want it to be configurable based on our specific needs. We want it to be pretty with a configurable face (sometimes we need to exactly what time it is, sometimes we are only concerned with about what time it is) sometimes form is more important than function, we want a watch that respects that move. BIometrics would be cool, but only as a sensor input, output should be on the phone. Weather data might me cool, but from the phone to the watch, via the watch itself. We want elegance, not some rubber wristband (they make the watch look like a toy) I'm not sure I'd want apps on my watch, although they may need to access it. There may be animations, but I'm not going to watch my watch (although I may be prone to admire it). 

A big problem will be battery life, although the Fitbit I have (the One) lasts a few days off of a quick charge. Apple can win this. Easy.

• Reply 84 of 155
    This is what you get when Samsung goes first. Big, ugly, clunky design with little indicating real value. WHY does this watch exist? What is for?

After Apple defines (or redefines), or completely creates, a new market for wearables Samsung's 'crisis of design' will kick in yet again and lo and behold, yet another "natural progression of wearables" will appear in their product line looking oh so similar to Apple's products%u2026

Except this time, I'm half expecting NO SUCH PRODUCT from Apple. It's Apple that's punking Samsung, not the other way around ;)

I still think IF Apple uses the 'iWatch' trademark, it'll be for something TV related...
  • Reply 85 of 155
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eckergus View Post

I believe the idea of a "smart watch" is great, BUT! for the billionth time, it isn't so much about the idea but about the implementation of that idea. Things such as customer experience, ecosystem integration and cohesiveness, coupled with truly simple and intuitive beautiful UIs, not to mention beautiful crafted pieces of harware are just some of the things that separate Apple from other companies. All that can be express with a simple word: implementation. That's where Apple triumphs and the rest don't. This watch is... well, just the opposite of what Apple is all about.

While all of this is true, I still just can't imagine wearing a screen on my wrist. I *stopped* wearing watches when my phone became a convenient clock; I never enjoyed wearing a watch, and I enjoyed them less the bigger they were. I don't care about all the pedometer/exercise features that a watch could have from being next to my skin, and I can't imagine why I'd want to use a smaller screen for things my phone can do when my phone is always with me. 

This isn't to say that Apple or whoever gets it right (i.e. Apple) won't sell some of these. I just don't think they'll sell one to me. And women! Women's watches are *small*. Even a 1.5" screen = a really big watch for typical women's jewelry, and that's a really small screen.

• Reply 86 of 155
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    OMG - what an ugly beast! When they don't have an actual Apple product to copy, this is the kind of "innovative" POS you'll get from these clowns. And we can all look forward to their wearable 5" model. /s
  • Reply 87 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

So basically it will do what my Bluetooth headset along with Siri on my iP{hone already does but I'll have to have this huge ass device strapped to my wrist and hold my hand up like I was using an old style telephone.

Just say "Calling Dick Tracy! Calling Dick Tracy" into your Samsung "smart" watch, and you'll fit right in!

Except Dick Tracy's wrist communicator was also a video screen I believe. FaceTime on a watch? Now that would be something.

• Reply 88 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It also didn't help that they chose a guy with spaghetti arms. image

I'm guessing they used the same almost gigantic guy they used to make the S4 look like a "normal" sized phone…. the one with the huge hands? Wait until you see THIS on a normal arm….

• Reply 89 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh gosh.

Surely they can't be putting out something like that!? In 2013!? As some people are speculating, this has to be a decoy of some sort. Even Samsung can't be this laughably bad with their design.

Oh, they most certainly can. Go look again at the "before and after iPhone" shots…. Samsung 'smart phones' before iPhone were the perfect example of how bad their designs could be. And those were just poorly copying Blackberry, Nokia and others…. 

• Reply 90 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No way, I found prior art. image

It's more then a conversation starter, there's a Swiss movement behind the gingerbread. This one will compete with gold Apple iPhone in the upscale jewelry stores. 

• Reply 91 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

This is what you get when Samsung goes first. Big, ugly, clunky design with little indicating real value. WHY does this watch exist? What is for?

After Apple defines (or redefines), or completely creates, a new market for wearables Samsung's 'crisis of design' will kick in yet again and lo and behold, yet another "natural progression of wearables" will appear in their product line looking oh so similar to Apple's products%u2026

Except this time, I'm half expecting NO SUCH PRODUCT from Apple. It's Apple that's punking Samsung, not the other way around image

I still think IF Apple uses the 'iWatch' trademark, it'll be for something TV related...

After the geek minority starts demanding bigger screens (and more 1337 specs), you'll one day regard this as the smallest Android smartwatch with the longest battery life.

As for Apple, I am under the impression (from various statements and hints dropped by Tim Cook) that the company was more interested in sensors to complement, rather than obviate, the smartphone. That's my prediction. It's not going to be "iPhone with wrist straps".

• Reply 92 of 155

The real Apple iWatch will be able to detect if you're having trouble falling asleep and tell you how long you've lain there tossing and turning before suggesting ways to prioritize your next day, remind you that you haven't sent in your quarterly report to the IRS, and check your bank balance to let you know how overdrawn you are. No sense laying there worrying about possible disasters, because the iWatch with Sadistic Siri built in will remind you over and over about all the looming doom in your life and suggest some possible fatal outcomes if not addressed right that moment.

• Reply 93 of 155

Whatever Samsung's watch looks like it will still suffer from one major flaw - software support. Samsung already has difficulty attracting developers to make versions specific to their smartphones (as opposed to a developer just writing an Android only App). Nobody is going to want to waste time & money on such an unproven device, let alone one that only works with one brand of device (Samsung).

On the other hand, there are already countless iOS developers out there. Apple will have no trouble getting them to code for the iWatch (if Apple doesn't keep it closed like the Apple TV currently is).

Apple will undoubtedly have the superior watch from a hardware & design perspective. Add their software advantage to that and it will be hard for anyone to compete.

• Reply 94 of 155

This can't be real. This thing looks like something the police would make you wear on your ankle.

• Reply 95 of 155

That thing is out of control, I still don't understand why you'd need a smart watch in the first place.  I'll stick with my analog watches. 

• Reply 96 of 155
    mstone wrote: »
    Maybe it is just my generation, but I thought most people learned how to tell time around age 5. It is like riding a bike, you don't have to think about. The human brain normally handles that sort of thing automatically. Every elementary school clock I've ever seen was analog. 
    It's way past automatic. In my mind, when I am calculating how long a task will take to completion, my mental gestalt of time is analog. In other words, my mental calculations and results are represented on an analog clock. I haven't owned any analog clocks in years, but my mind is still stuck on analog clocks.
  • Reply 97 of 155
    Obviously we don't know what to expect from an iWatch at this point, but as suggested earlier the real focus should be biometrics. There is no point adding feature duplication when every smartphone has wifi, camera, etc. Biometric data in the other hand isn't available in the phone and a smart watch strapped to the body is a great location for a sensor or two. After that, keep the overall device small and slim, battery life good enough for a weekend adventure, and give it a screen i can read in all lighting. Apple could top it off with a very basic touch interface for controlling music (play, pause, and skip) and open up a watchface store for added customizability while allowing creators to get some compensation for their efforts ($0.99 sounds reasonable).
  • Reply 98 of 155
    alex101 wrote: »
    So, Apple doesn't need to be afraid then. That thing looks hideous.

Lol.

This is what Samsung builds when Apple doesn't show them how to do it first.

Has to be a joke.

It can't literally be that bad.

We will know for sure soon enough.
  • Reply 99 of 155
    That looks like a crappy cheap phone screwed down to a wrist band. Not worth 2 cents.
  • Reply 100 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

This is a basinga, right?

I think Samsung's purposely leaking out shitty looking watch models there by lowering the markets expectation, and then come up with a 10 times better design and get people to say WO! Oldest trick in the book.

If I were to guess they'll come up with a watch something around these lines.CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90

A watch that uses there Youm flexible display. They demoed it early this year. I am certain.

Here is a link of they announcing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3a9WrfzZOM