Prototype Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch shown off in pictures

Comments

• Reply 121 of 155
    What Venture Beat saw is Gugly (Gear ugly)!
  • Reply 122 of 155
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Byars View Post

I have a phone... I stopped needing a watch long ago.

I understand a fitness band for when a watch is too heavy and or lot's of water etc may be involved but that's it. Don't need a watch anymore. Just like I don't need my grandfathers slide rule, HP calculator, day-timer, low end camera, separate iPod, GPS and often even my laptop. I have a programable device that does all of that.

Apple knows this though. Tim Cook made that exact point at All Things D - he asked the audience if anyone even wore a watch any more. Then he said that the first problem you have to solve with a watch is making something so *amazing* that people will actually go back to wearing one.

That's why whatever Apple comes up with will be totally different to what Samsung have done here. I'm not saying it's rubbish - if you're a gadget nerd it might be quite fun - but they haven't solved that first problem.

• Reply 123 of 155

Apple when they decide to do a watch, will first try and solve the question, as to "What can a computer worn on your wrist help out with, that the phone today can't do".

The answer to that, in my opinion are the following.

1) A whole lot of body sensors, what ever can be calculated by being placed on the wrist.

This alone, is a giant sized area that would give an iWatch a lot of value.

2) bringing some form of notifications from your iDevice, to the wrist serves little value,but none the less, worth doing.. (But this cannot be the devices primary focus)

3) They need to make a breakthrough tech, that will allow a wrist worn device to be thing and light, with some awesome battery.  (Coz a fat device ppl wont like wearing for long).

4) Come up with some ground breaking tech like projecting light onto the hand behind the iWatch making your hand an alternative projection surface. Interacting on this projected image should let you interact with iOS running on the device.

Those are some of the regions that will justify the purpose of the existance of a computer on your hand, or the iWatch.

• Reply 124 of 155
    alex101 wrote: »
    So, Apple doesn't need to be afraid then. That thing looks hideous.
    It is a prototype. And I wouldn't be surprised if they had smart watch prototypes laying around. You people need to stop wasting your time criticizing and defending big bcorporations don't give a hoot about you. Just enjoy their technology.
  • Reply 125 of 155

Wait for the Microsoft Watch !

• Reply 126 of 155
    hydrogen wrote: »
    Wait for the Microsoft Watch !

Looks like no pulse.
  • Reply 127 of 155
    Clunky Brick-On-A-Wrist.

I won't expect any decent 'smartwatches' until 2015. We're waiting for the maturation of flexible displays and flexible batteries. Meanwhile... crap.
  • Reply 128 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

They are so hard to use though.  You have to look at it, check out where the arms are, then think about what time that means it is.  Most of them don't even have numbers too, so then you're left counting the marks to see which number it represents. 

A digital watch you can just glance at, and see the time.

You can also set it for the more sensible 24 hour time and not be bothered by all that, "Is it 12:00 AM or 12:00 PM?" nonsense. 

Anyone who cant tell whether its 12am or 12pm seriously needs their eyes tested, 12am is when its dark and 12pm is when its daylight. I wont ever buy a digital watch regardless of who makes it.

• Reply 129 of 155

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Will there be any success with Shamesuck if it doesn't shamelessly copy Apple ?

They need to be legally barred from making electronics. They'll do just fine stealing washer, dryer, and refrigerator designs from that industry. 

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Anyone who cant tell whether its 12am or 12pm seriously needs their eyes tested, 12am is when its dark and 12pm is when its daylight.

What time is it in this picture?

• Reply 130 of 155
    BIG FAIL!

When they eventually copy Apple the truth of their copycat ways will be known.
  • Reply 131 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by studentx View Post

BIG FAIL!

When they eventually copy Apple the truth of their copycat ways will be known.

It won't matter, even if DED posts a "Samsung watches before and after iWatch" pic, because Samsung will tell Fandroids to flood the Internet with the "So Apple invented the smartwatch?" or "Everyone copies everyone" talking points, or use Dick Tracy as an example of prior art.

• Reply 132 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It looks to be about 12am. That picture is from Norway, right?

• Reply 133 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They need to be legally barred from making electronics. They'll do just fine stealing washer, dryer, and refrigerator designs from that industry. 

How about Dont Care o'clock. most places around the world midnight is dark and midday is light.

• Reply 134 of 155

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It looks to be about 12am. That picture is from Norway, right?

Something like that.

• Reply 135 of 155
    I didn't invalidate it. Where I live 12am is dark and 12pm is light. I prefer analogue watches. end of discussion.
  • Reply 136 of 155

I didn't invalidate it.

Yeah, you did. Just stop, please.

• Reply 137 of 155
    I did with end of discussion but you continued. End. Please don't reply
  • Reply 138 of 155

I did with end of discussion

but you continued.

Because everything you've said is either subjective or wrong.

• Reply 139 of 155

There is no way any woman would be caught wearing that thing. To exercise/jog maybe they would, but that's about it. And we don't know pricing yet, but why would any pay a possible $150-250 for a watch they're only going to wear to for a jog or in the gym for 30-60 minutes? Especially when any smart phone or iPod that you already have can give you good exercise features and apps. Most fashionable men wouldn't want to wear that either, you got on your nice clothes then some clunky plastic watch with screws ruining your look. Samsung fans better hope this is an early prototype and not the final product. Certainly hope Apple will offer something much better, I'm sure they will. Ive wouldn't allow some cheap junk like this. I agree with an earlier post, this looks like those cheap calculator watches from the early 80's.

Unrelated to Samsung I don't get why anyone would buy and wear a smart watch. We're supposed to wear a smart watch AND carry a smart phone AND use a tablet...? When is enough enough? Maybe I'll understand it after Apple releases theirs to help me understand. 

• Reply 140 of 155
    Customtb,

Don't worry.. generation 2 will look much better. More like an iWatch 1.0.... or more probably EXACTLY like an iWatch 1.0. They just don't have anything to copy yet. When they do... it'll be great!