Windows 8 jumps past Apple's OS X with 7.4% market share

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75

Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

It would be very interesting if OSX was able to run on PC/Laptop platforms and was promoted as such.

Terrible, you mean, not interesting.

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What could they do with a less powerful home desktop unit that is much more powerful than a Mac Mini?

It's called the iMac.

• Reply 42 of 75
    Am I the only one who thinks that the World is SCREAMING THE NEED for a cheaper iMac "C" and MacBook "C"? Something in the $599 range to get people into the OSX ecosystem? This is needed NOW or Windows 8.1 and Google Chrome / Android will flood the PC market and then spill over into tablets, potentially repeating the 1980's.
  • Reply 43 of 75

Originally Posted by stewartS View Post

Am I the only one who thinks that the World is SCREAMING THE NEED for a cheaper iMac "C" and MacBook "C"?

Yes.

Something in the $599 range to get people into the OSX ecosystem?

"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that isn't crap." Because $500 computers are inherently crap.

This is needed NOW or Windows 8.1 and Google Chrome / Android will flood the PC market and then spill over into tablets, potentially repeating the 1980's.

Utter nonsense. Windows 8 is universally hated. Chrome laptops are useless for absolutely everything. And Android doesn't even work on a phone; how could it work on a computer?

• Reply 44 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

PC sales are dying. Consumers are realizing an appliance like the iPad does everything they need.

you did see that that same reports has 86% of the people going online on a Computer right?

• Reply 45 of 75
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    It's only because all the kids are headed back to school and are buying laptops. Poor people forced into using windows 8. I would downgrade to 7 as soon as possible if I bought one.
  • Reply 46 of 75

^ When it comes to efficiency, Windows 8 is quite an improvement over Windows 7.  The cause for all of the Windows 8 hate came from the UI, which felt like it was still a work in progress. 

Just another example of Microsoft rushing a 'beta product' to market.

Fortunately, Windows 8.1 has fixed a number of issues with Windows 8, and will be coming as a free update to all Windows 8 users on Oct. 17th.

Windows 8.1 has the potential to take off in the tablet market. This is going under the assumption that Bay Trail and Haswell Y-Series devices are properly priced and marketed.

• Reply 47 of 75
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Net Application methodology explained

What is country level weighting, and why do you do it?
    The Net Market Share data is weighted by country. We compare our traffic to the CIA Internet Traffic by Country table, and weight our data accordingly. For example, if our global data shows that Brazil represents 2% of our traffic, and the CIA table shows Brazil to represent 4% of global Internet traffic, we will count each unique visitor from Brazil twice. This is done to balance out our global data. All regions have differing markets, and if our traffic were concentrated in one or more regions, our global data would be inappropriately affected by those regions. Country level weighting removes any bias by region.

What is a daily unique visitor, and why do you count those instead of pageviews?
    Net Market Share data is an aggregation the traffic of all of our HitsLink clients, but instead of counting pageviews we count daily unique visitors. A daily unique visitor is counted only once per day per website we track, regardless of the number of pageviews the visitor has. While this may seem to greatly reduce our sample size from the billions of monthly pageviews we process to only the daily unique visitors, we do so to provide a more accurate picture of market share showing the number of users of a technology instead of the number of clicks. Counting unique visitors also renders bots designed to influence market share harmless. Counting pageviews for market share reports would be susceptible to bot attacks and inexplicable jumps in market share that don't represent the true nature of the market.

If you need more information here it is http://www.netmarketshare.com/faq.aspx#Methodology
  • Reply 48 of 75
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    diddy wrote: »
    I don't get this...  On the mac, there are no box makers since everything is made by Apple - there are no other box makers.

Apple does not give other manufacturers an option to preinstall OSX, maybe..?
  • Reply 49 of 75

Utter nonsense. Windows 8 is universally hated. Chrome laptops are useless for absolutely everything. And Android doesn't even work on a phone; how could it work on a computer?

Not necessarily. Windows 8 is hated by most vocal part of forums' dwellers... but in real world, it is not that bad. Most Windows 8 users that I know are quite happy with it. Granted, most Windows 7 users are not inspired to upgrade - but among those who did (or purchased new machine with 8 preinstalled), level of satisfaction seems to be significantly higher than what you could expect from various forum discussions.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    Terrible, you mean, not interesting.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a good idea, but it would be interesting for many. People find lots of bad ideas interesting.
  • Reply 51 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewartS View Post

Am I the only one who thinks that the World is SCREAMING THE NEED for a cheaper iMac "C" and MacBook "C"? Something in the $599 range to get people into the OSX ecosystem? This is needed NOW or Windows 8.1 and Google Chrome / Android will flood the PC market and then spill over into tablets, potentially repeating the 1980's.

Buy this from the Apple Store and join the OSX ecosystem for $549 -->

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC816LL/A/refurbished-mac-mini-25ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

Unless of course, your real intention for posting was to say "It's like the 1980s all over again!"

• Reply 52 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

It's only because all the kids are headed back to school and are buying laptops. Poor people forced into using windows 8. I would downgrade to 7 as soon as possible if I bought one.

Not necessarily "poor people."

Steve Ballmer won't let his kids buy Apple laptops, so there are some wealthy people forced into using windows 8. image

• Reply 53 of 75
    PC sales are dying. Consumers are realizing an appliance like the iPad does everything they need.

While the PC market is contracting, by about 10% annually, 300M+ PC's are sold every year. Tablets are Smartphones are taking on more traditional computing tasks, but PC's and Mac's are still a viable market. Consumers and Businesses are pushing upgrade cycles from 3-5 years to 5-7 years. I hope Apple will become more agressive in pricing Macintosh in the future. My 7 year old MacBook Pro is waiting to be upgraded :)
  • Reply 54 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes.

"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that isn't crap." Because $500 computers are inherently crap.

You really have NO clue what you're talking about.  If Apple made an $800 tower PC it would DOMINATE.  The all-in-one model is terrible, which is why Apple sells so few iMacs.  If they would just make a regular desktop they could easily capture the business market.  Why they continue to make an un-upgradeable, piece of junk iMac is beyond me.  Business users never have a need to upgrade their monitors, because those never change.  They just swap out PC hardware for $500 a pop.  But, because of Apple's stupid design choices, you don't have that option with an iMac.  Because of that, they will never penetrate into the corporate market, and there will always be a Microsoft.  

• Reply 55 of 75

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

You really have NO clue what you're talking about.

Then you're claiming neither does Apple, because I'm saying exactly what they've said.

If Apple made an $800 tower PC it would DOMINATE.

No, it wouldn't.

Quote:

The all-in-one model is terrible, which is why Apple sells so few iMacs.

Total lies. iMacs are their best-selling desktops. Your reasoning is also disproven by every other manufacturer also moving to all-in-one models.

If they would just make a regular desktop they could easily capture the business market.

Except that's obviously not true.

Why they continue to make an un-upgradeable, piece of junk iMac is beyond me.

Yet they still do. But OBVIOUSLY I—and Apple—are wrong and you're right. imageimage

Business users never have a need to upgrade their monitors, because those never change.  They just swap out PC hardware for $500 a pop.

Funny. And yet you claim Apple should make an $800 computer instead of the… what, $600 they ALREADY MAKE AND SELL, WHICH WOULD BE EXACTLY WHAT YOU CLAIM IS NEEDED.

…there will always be a Microsoft.  

A "Microsoft", maybe, but not Microsoft.

• Reply 56 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by racingbull View Post

What's so surprising: apple positioned itself as premium consumer computer, almost abandoned the premium pro segment, and never intended to compete in the enterprise market. The latter 2 may see significant improvements with Cook. At least, I'm hoping.

There are quite a number of Apple MacBooks being used in Enterprise. However a lot of those are running Windows 7 instead of OSX. 

• Reply 57 of 75
    and people were calling Windows 8 a failure? it is slowly ticking up in market share! EAT IT APPLE.
  • Reply 58 of 75

or you could stop whining, download ClassicShell or Start8.. and then enjoy the actual non-Metro benefits of Windows 8 such as speed, security and a re-designed shell for the desktop OS. I got Start8, and I would never downgrade to Windows 7. Windows 8 has so much else to offer other than the hated Metro UI.

• Reply 59 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Not necessarily. Windows 8 is hated by most vocal part of forums' dwellers... but in real world, it is not that bad. Most Windows 8 users that I know are quite happy with it. Granted, most Windows 7 users are not inspired to upgrade - but among those who did (or purchased new machine with 8 preinstalled), level of satisfaction seems to be significantly higher than what you could expect from various forum discussions.

this is definitely so true. I'm a student working at Best Buy right now in Computer Sales. Most customers do not hate Windows 8 as much as you think. As soon as I show them the "Desktop" tile or just show them Start8 or ClassicShell as an option to restore the Win7 interface, they are sold immediately. There are so many benefits to Windows 8 if you can just tweak some default program settings and ignore the Metro menus.

• Reply 60 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

While the PC market is contracting, by about 10% annually, 300M+ PC's are sold every year. Tablets are Smartphones are taking on more traditional computing tasks, but PC's and Mac's are still a viable market. Consumers and Businesses are pushing upgrade cycles from 3-5 years to 5-7 years. I hope Apple will become more agressive in pricing Macintosh in the future. My 7 year old MacBook Pro is waiting to be upgraded image

Sometimes when someone says "PC sales are dying," they are meaning desktop PC sales are what is being thinned out, and that segment is hurting badly. 

Portable computers are doing reasonably well, with Apple MacBooks (running Windows) doing a good portion of that along with the iPad. You must have the same vintage MBP that I have...seven years and running like a champ. It's a pain because I can't upgrade the OS to a new enough version to sync it with my iMac, iPad and iPhone, but I get by fine by sharing the iMac and MBP on a network and moving docs as needed.

As far as aggressive pricing is concerned, the MBP is priced very well compared to other reliable laptops desired by enterprise. It's the MBA that is really cleaning up in enterprise as it's priced right while having specs that beat the Win competition. 

Like you, I've been waiting to upgrade my MBP but I think I'll opt for a MBA instead... love the lightness and the specs are much better then initially.