Windows 8 jumps past Apple's OS X with 7.4% market share

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They do until April 2014. Then custom support only for $200 per year per machine through 2017

That is actually false, Microsoft ends all support in April of 2014.  Window XP SP3 is currently on extended support phase and that ends in April of 2014.

• Reply 62 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

1. Why should Apple care about getting to 20% market share? What would it do for them that they don't get now? Hint: selling more boxes doesn't mean more profits - and if they had to cut prices, they might actually earn less. There's a reason why Apple makes most of the industry's profits.

Probably for the same reason why everyone on this site says Microsoft market share for Windows Phone isn't increasing fast enough to be taken seriously.

• Reply 63 of 75
    This does put desktop computing in perspective, especially when you realise that the vast majority of this user base is corporate. Yes it's true mobile is the growing market but within corporations where real number crunching and documents get generated, windows is still king. Unfortunately that will not change until Apple offers a serious contented for Office and Excel in particular. OSX really hasn't made a big dent in the corporate market if these numbers are to be believed.

It would be very interesting if OSX was able to run on PC/Laptop platforms and was promoted as such.

It's not a matter of price elasticity that the Mac has not made a steep cut into corporate. The main issue is to integrate a Mac in a Windows platform with fast and fully functional Active Directory, smooth exchange support, fast access to servers, *search server* features, etc etc.... Some features are there, but sloppy, not playing nicely together. That's the issue in my opinion. How do you see it?
  • Reply 64 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by racingbull View Post

It's not a matter of price elasticity that the Mac has not made a steep cut into corporate. The main issue is to integrate a Mac in a Windows platform with fast and fully functional Active Directory, smooth exchange support, fast access to servers, *search server* features, etc etc.... Some features are there, but sloppy, not playing nicely together. That's the issue in my opinion. How do you see it?

There is a ton of Macs, almost all MacBooks, in Enterprise, but they are being booted up under Windows. The MacBook Air is a super priced portable and is actually very competitive to the ultrabook laptops, so much so that the MBA is preferred due to its build and reliability.

• Reply 65 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewartS View Post

Am I the only one who thinks that the World is SCREAMING THE NEED for a cheaper iMac "C" and MacBook "C"? Something in the $599 range to get people into the OSX ecosystem? This is needed NOW or Windows 8.1 and Google Chrome / Android will flood the PC market and then spill over into tablets, potentially repeating the 1980's.

Macs have been growing faster then Windows computer sales for a couple of years now, only slowing down as the iPad is being chosen over full computers lately. Portable computers are outselling desktops, MacBooks, especially the MBA, are being chosen over Dells and HP portables. What is not moving are the cheap notebook computers, so you seem to have a unique view of the computer market. The Google Chrome laptop is not selling into enterprise or the student markets. It's a bottom feeder for people that are looking for cheap internet surfing and email. 

Right now Apple is strongest in smart phones for consumers and enterprise, with excellent penetration in both markets. Next, Apple is leading the market in sales of tablets to both markets, with a better penetration in enterprise, especially education and government. Finally, while Dell and HP teeter on getting out of PC sales, Apple making good margins on MacBooks, with the MBA being highly received by students and enterprise (the latter ussally booting up under Windows).

Smart Phones and tablet markets are rapidly becoming saturated which is putting pressure on prices. Apple will be addressing price this month on Phones and may well do so on tablets as the Christmas season nears. I don't see any pressure to lower Mac laptop or Desk top prices to gain sales. 

As for the World market; Asian made PCs will continue to dominate Asian sales, and since OSX doesn't have the following in Europe that it does in North America, In spite of that Apple is doing well in some areas and struggling in others. However, Apple (unlike other leading manufacturers) is selling everything they can make, so why try to grab markets they can't supply? 

• Reply 66 of 75
    wardc wrote: »
    This is saying Mac OS X makes up only 6.5% Marketshare of installed userbase worldwide,  versus about 91% for Windows. 

This makes me sad.

People are sheep, don't weep.i never lose sleep over cheap.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    This really need to be a comparison between hardware/OS pairing, since you can't really install OSX on PC hardware. Yes, there are more PC hardware out there and therefore the numbers will skew.
  • Reply 68 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    noliving wrote: »
    Probably for the same reason why everyone on this site says Microsoft market share for Windows Phone isn't increasing fast enough to be taken seriously.

Everyone on this site says that? Really?

In either case, market share alone doesn't get you anything. You need the market share to be large enough to have a dynamic, profitable business. In the case of mobile devices, that means a healthy number and variety of apps in the App Store. In the case of computers, that means a reasonable variety of apps - and having access to most of the apps you need.

Now, it is clear that Apple has more than enough market share to have a sufficient ecosystem to succeed in the computer arena. It is not, however, clear that Microsoft has sufficient market share in the mobile space to succeed. Maybe they do and maybe they don't - I've never taken a position one way or the other because I really don't care. But it is entirely possible for someone to use that argument against Windows Phone but not against Mac OS X.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquared View Post

Articles like this annoy the hell outta me. Of course Windows will pull ahead, look at all the various makers of Windows PC and every new one is pre-installed with Win8 (as stated by previous responder). In my opinion you can't adequately compare the two. 

How is this different from the fact that the latest version of Mac OS X is preinstalled on all new Macs?

Quote:

Compare them separately (one OSX and one for Win) and see how consumers are adapting to the latest version of their respective companies operating system.

That would be possible for Windows because people can remove Windows 8 from a PC and install Windows 7 or XP if they want.  Can't do the same for Macs because Macs will only run on the same or higher version of Mac OS X that it shipped with.  So if articles like this annoy you, then I presume you will also be annoyed by past Apple keynote speeches in which they compared adoption rates of latest version of Mac OS X compared to Windows.

• Reply 70 of 75
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Just as I suspected. Apple is truly doomed. So much about all the braggadocio of a post-PC era. Windows is still the most powerful force in the universe and market share is everything.

/s

I think Apple quit trying to make MacOSX popular when it switched to Intel.  That's a smart move.  Just concentrate on iOS and spend the resource wisely.

Doomed?    Apple is smart to make OSX required to develop iOS apps.  Until that changes, OSX will be around in a niche market.  But I think Apple will merge OSX and iOS at some point.  One version for desktop and one version for mobile.

• Reply 71 of 75
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

There are quite a number of Apple MacBooks being used in Enterprise. However a lot of those are running Windows 7 instead of OSX. 

Yeah, that's what I see around me too.  Always duel boot win7 or osx.  Going Intel was a smart move for Apple.

• Reply 72 of 75
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The interesting thing is that 50% of Macs are running the latest version of the OS - vs only about 10% of Windows machines. Just like the mobile platform where the vast majority of iDevices run iOS 6 vs only a small percentage of Android devices running the latest version.

I don't understand the benefit. Apple doesn't make any money on operating systems, either desktop or mobile, so why is it considered an "advantage" that Apple users tend to keep up?

• Reply 73 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

How is this different from the fact that the latest version of Mac OS X is preinstalled on all new Macs?

That would be possible for Windows because people can remove Windows 8 from a PC and install Windows 7 or XP if they want.  Can't do the same for Macs because Macs will only run on the same or higher version of Mac OS X that it shipped with.  So if articles like this annoy you, then I presume you will also be annoyed by past Apple keynote speeches in which they compared adoption rates of latest version of Mac OS X compared to Windows.

THANK YOU!

• Reply 74 of 75
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

I think Apple quit trying to make MacOSX popular when it switched to Intel.  That's a smart move.  Just concentrate on iOS and spend the resource wisely.

iPhone OS didn't even exist when they switched to Intel.

But I think Apple will merge OSX and iOS at some point.  One version for desktop and one version for mobile.

So how is that in any way merging?

• Reply 75 of 75
    Microsoft has always been the market leader, and will be according to my view, i was shocked to see how consistently microsoft has been operating in the marketing, and its shareholders have been happy with its overall performance, http://goo.gl/AUjLYa this article might help you to know much about the competition of microsoft and apple, and mircosofts performance.