As Google's Android tops 1B activations, next version gets named 'KitKat'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

So Google are now in bed with Nestle? Are they still claiming not to be evil?

Or did they do this just to mess with everyone who was convinced it was going to be Key Lime Pie?

• Reply 22 of 99
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I still would like to know what constitutes an "activation".  It seems to me that a device can be reactivated multiple times. I have a lot of friends that have had to take their crappy Android phone back to the store and get a replacement.  Each one of those is an activation, but all that means is that a device was activated onto a network.  Those devices could (and probably are) sitting in a freaking landfill or drawer somewhere and not being used.  It's a useless metric.  It sounds great, but has no bearing on the health of the ecosystem.  What types of Android devices. ANY.  That's another problem. That means that any craptastic piece of crap that anyone could possible sell with a bit of Android code on it counts as an activation then?

I'm just saying it's a bullshit number.

You are incorrect in thinking that a device can be activated multiple times.  It's one activation per physical device.  In the event of your "lots of friends" who have recieved replacement phones, those would count as additional activations.

You are incorrect in thinking that an activation means a device was activated onto a network.  Activating on a network is not what Google counts.  Google counts when a new physical device connects to their services.

You are incorrect in thinking that any "craptastic piece of crap that anyone could possible sell with a bit of Android code on it counts as an activation."  As stated above, Google can only count what they know about (connecting to Google's services).  The Kindle Fire, for example, is a forked version of Android and doesn't count towards Google's activation numbers.  The only way they'd be able to count those is if Amazon shared their numbers with Google, which is possible, but just because something uses some Android code doesn't mean it automatically counts.

As a very satisfied repeat customer of Android products, I account for three of those activations as I've had three different Android devices (never had to get a replacement for any of them).  That may help you to support your argument for it being a "bullshit number" as your current reasoning isn't very good.

• Reply 23 of 99
    "For every no, there are thousands of yes's."
  • Reply 24 of 99
    This is tacky in the extreme
  • Reply 25 of 99
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    What's the deal with candy?

Google is now a chocolate candy bar.

iOS 7 and iPhone 5c look like Candy Crush meets Skittles.

Is candy the new cool motif for tech?
  • Reply 26 of 99

Next up, Android Crack. We'll take you on high's you've never thought possible**.

**warning, Android is not responsible for the ultimate crash you will experience once your new high wears off

• Reply 27 of 99

Why would anyone use the trademark Kit Kat?  It was an English anti-Catholic  / anti French / pro Monarchist political organisation with it's roots in the 18th century.  

• Reply 28 of 99
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Wow! An absolutely glowing article about how Android rules the world. And on a so-called Apple centric web site too. Well, that's it I guess. Time for Apple to just pack it in. They lost again. I guess my next phone will run Android seeing that AppleInsider now recommends it.

• Reply 29 of 99
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    This has got to be a joke.

I definitely heard some snickers.
    Well at least they got permission to use KitKat

They'd have taken it anyway and then bought a cocoa bean supplier to use against them when it went to court.
  • Reply 30 of 99

For F*** sake! I used to love Kitkat ... until today! DAMN!

Here comes KitKat Ads all over next Android dumbphones!

• Reply 31 of 99
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The newest Android OS Kit Kat will only serve to further fragment the mess that is called Android, and the majority of devices sold will probably not even include the newest OS, and many older devices and even many current devices will probably never ever get it. Fandroids are suckers.

• Reply 32 of 99

First thing I thought of:

• Reply 33 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

why doesn't any Android partners release audited phone sales numbers each Quarter like Apple? Why hide?  Because the numbers are BS thats why.

If I change to another rom, does it counts as an activation?

• Reply 34 of 99
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

However, most of those activation are in a landfill these days. It like FORD or GM saying that have a Billion cars on the road just because they is how many cars they shipped.

• Reply 35 of 99
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The newest Android OS Kit Kat will only serve to further fragment the mess that is called Android, and the majority of devices sold will probably not even include the newest OS, and many older devices and even many current devices will probably never ever get it. Fandroids are suckers.

how true, the fanboys will be all jump up and down about the new version even though it might not run on their phone, but they will be all giggly about it.

• Reply 36 of 99
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    The newest Android OS Kit Kat will only serve to further fragment the mess that is called Android, and the majority of devices sold will probably not even include the newest OS, and many older devices and even many current devices will probably never ever get it. Fandroids are suckers.</p>

I didn't understand how Google was addressing "fragmentation" until the past few days. It now looks as tho the specific version of Android isn't nearly as important as it once was. They've come up with really a brilliant way of making sure the latest OS features & improvements are available to 98% of current users while still allowing the OEM's to customize the shell or 3rd parties to "fork" the OS for specific uses.

How is that possible? Google Play Services. Read up on it if you're curious.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Android kit cat, why are they brand pacific?
  • Reply 38 of 99
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Appropriate! A cheap wheat biscuit with some chocolate sprayed on top. Not what you'd call fine chocolate. Perfect for Android, though.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    1B activations! Wow that's impressive. I prefer Android than my Iphone. Day and night in speed screen estate. My Iphone 5 can't compete with my nexus 4 quad core 2 gigs of ram. Plus I find it is really smart to use KitKat as a name. My next tablet will be also an android LG G tablet. I also prefer the look of Jelly bean over iOS 7. I would love if Apple could make a 4.7 Iphone quad or octa core. Maybe iPhone 6 let's hope.
  • Reply 40 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I didn't understand how Google was addressing "fragmentation" until the past few days. It now looks as tho the specific version of Android isn't nearly as important as it once was. They've come up with really a brilliant way of making sure the latest OS features & improvements are available to 98% of current users while still allowing the OEM's to customize the shell or 3rd parties to "fork" the OS for specific uses.

How is that possible? Google Play Services. Read up on it if you're curious.

It's very simple, actually.

Basically android development stopped with jelly bean 4.1. Other versions bring nothing.

I do not blame them. Maybe they are focussing on bug fixing and bringing everyone to 4.x?

That's a problem they choosed to have by allowing OEMs to use android.