New high-res pics may again show Apple's 'iPhone 5S' fingerprint sensor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Has there been any info (rumors) as to how many fingers a device will be allowed to store for recognition?

I mean sometimes I use my index finger, sometimes my thumb, or my wife wants to borrow the phone. Will a device be trainable for several people - I'd hope so.
    :rolleyes:
  • Reply 22 of 64
    dave k. wrote: »
    I really hope it more than just a finger print sensor... The problem with current sensor technology is that it takes time to register a "passing" value. When we were at Disney, they had fingerprint scanners which took 10 seconds to recognize you as being you. Sometimes the process had to be repeated%u2026

Can you imagine having to unlock your ringing phone while you wait for your finger to be registered or losing "in the moment picture" because your phone won%u2019t unlock fast enough? I don%u2019t know. I guess I will and see how it is implemented.

You can do both of those things now without unlocking the phone so I'd expect that wont change....
  • Reply 23 of 64

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Such a feature could allow an iPhone to securely and quickly identify a user for tasks such as unlocking the device or entering a password.

So, you press the home button to wake the iPhone and unlock it.  Fine.

But tapping the home button to enter password?  Not sure if that would work.

User would have to tap (or swipe) lightly enough to not click the home button.

Otherwise they'd pop out of the app and back to the home page.

• Reply 24 of 64

Authentec's fingerprint sensor is a long strip that you have to slide your thumb across it. It captures a few lines of fingerprint at a time. As you slide your fingerprint, then it forms the full image. Some processing is needed to compensate for differences in movement speed and to straighten the image since there might be some twist in the sliding of the finger.

This is just looks like a pinhole that can only capture a small portion of a thumb print.

• Reply 25 of 64
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    3eleven wrote: »
    They need to give Siri different vocals. I need my iPhone to have HAL's voice and greet me when it realizes it's me via fingerprint sensor.

You NEED your phone to do this when it REALIZES it's YOU?

Folks, I think we have here a new form of selfhood, putting it as kindly as I can. The connected device in your hand now defines who you are and knows what you want.

To be expected, I suppose. If the portable printed book created the private individual, the portable electronic world communicator would create the connected narcissist. Thus all the "they need" and "I need for you" phrases that one hears tossed around in the U.S. these days. As if "I" am so important that "they" or "you" NEED to do what I say.

I can assure you it wasn't always this way. The "need" phrases used imperatively started spreading about twenty years ago.

By the way, a synthesized HAL voice might not measure up to the fantasy tape you're running in your head.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by semi_guy View Post

Authentec's fingerprint sensor is a long strip that you have to slide your thumb across it. It captures a few lines of fingerprint at a time. As you slide your fingerprint, then it forms the full image. Some processing is needed to compensate for differences in movement speed and to straighten the image since there might be some twist in the sliding of the finger.

This is just looks like a pinhole that can only capture a small portion of a thumb print.

No, Authentec's fingerprint sensor WAS a long strip. We aren't sure what it is anymore and the component above could very well be the reason Apple bought them in the first place. We don't know how this differs from their previous work but we DO know that it was quite an advancement over what they had perviously created for others and what was available in the market prior to Apples purchase.

• Reply 27 of 64
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

By the way, a synthesized HAL voice might not measure up to the fantasy tape you're running in your head.

Particularly since the original guy won't record any more for a baseline.

• Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

That's kind of my worry too – that users will be so used to interfacing with the Home Button through a click that an attempt to authenticate would actually kick them out of an app.

I think we just need to wait til the 10th to see implementation.

• Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

would rather have Marvin from BBC TV series HHGG. It would nt seem so bad when Siri fails to deliver (which is does, all too often)

• Reply 30 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not to mention the fact that having HAL's voice on your phone would be the same as having a tag that identifies you as a senior citizen.  

2001 is considered by all the "young-uns" (under 30 years old) to be a really boring old movie at this point.  You can get the 1080p version in the under ten bucks section on iTunes now.

• Reply 31 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by calfoto View Post

Has there been any info (rumors) as to how many fingers a device will be allowed to store for recognition?

I mean sometimes I use my index finger, sometimes my thumb, or my wife wants to borrow the phone. Will a device be trainable for several people - I'd hope so.

It would only be handy if you could use a finger from each hand at minimum.  

Also, not everyone has all their fingers, so it has to be at least slightly adjustable. 

• Reply 32 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I have to believe these days these things can detect if the finger is alive and well .... I have seen too many movies with removed eyeballs, fingers and hands!
    From patents I've seen, this uses the differing capacitance of the grooves of the finger for a reading, so it needs a real, and an alive hand.

The only thing that concerns me is that it's so small. Fingerprints are much larger. I don't understand how it will read enough of it to be consistent from reading to reading if one doesn't always put the same spot of the finger down. It's more of a partial fingerprint reader.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Not to mention the fact that having HAL's voice on your phone would be the same as having a tag that identifies you as a senior citizen. 2001 is considered by all the "young-uns" (under 30 years old) to be a really boring old movie at this point.

And pish posh to that, really. If it's not fast-paced, has explosions, and "hot chicks", they don't care. And they miss out on things like 2001, 12 Angry Men, and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington…

• Reply 34 of 64
    sockrolid wrote: »

That's assuming that during the event Apple doesn't disable the click recognition.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    semi_guy wrote: »

This is a very different technology.
  • Reply 36 of 64

How did they smuggle that part out ?

• Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

One has to wonder whether they could pull fingerprints from the photo of the hand?

Oh, good point, since photos are known to have similar capacitance as fingertips.

• Reply 38 of 64

Not sure why all this angst.

If how Apple implements the fingerprint sensor won't work for you, turn it off.

• Reply 39 of 64
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    tjwal wrote: »
    One has to wonder whether they could pull fingerprints from the photo of the hand?
    I don't think so, tj. Read that it has to be a real finger, & hopefully with a pulse.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

From patents I've seen, this uses the differing capacitance of the grooves of the finger for a reading, so it needs a real, and an alive hand.

The only thing that concerns me is that it's so small. Fingerprints are much larger. I don't understand how it will read enough of it to be consistent from reading to reading if one doesn't always put the same spot of the finger down. It's more of a partial fingerprint reader.

Remember about a month or so ago, when the rumour was that the button would be convex in stead of concave (and everyone lost their mind thinking it was going to make the phone look like a nipple (or zit, ect...).... I beleive that it is actually the lens and we are looking at it, just way smaller than people expected. If that is the case, it could be using the lens as a sort of "fish-eye" to capture more image than the actual surface normally would.