Judge slaps Motorola with $14.5M payout to Microsoft for FRAND abuse

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Are you really this obtuse or is it just a show for Google's benefit?

Google could have put a stop to most of this litigation the day after the acquisition if they had wanted to. Even this one would have had a lot less damages if Google had shut it down early.

Stop playing the fool.

Don't forget they're going to appeal this as well.

• Reply 22 of 47
    Google saying Do no evil is like a used car salesman saying trust me.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Uh Oh. Click.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Haha Googlerola!
  • Reply 25 of 47
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Oh joy! Goolies, a [B]convicted patent troll.[/B] Now that is an honour I don't think we'll see Larry and friends raising before the board or in public prattling. Dang, we'll have to do it for them. So much joy on joy today.

Truly, tis the wee things in life that makes the journey joyful. That and a good Polka.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    pdq2 wrote: »
    Will Google ever get anything for that $12.5B they pissed away for Motorola?

If that was ever the plan, they seem to be moving in the wrong direction.
    Now arithmetic is not my strong suit, but isn't that $12.5145B now?
  • Reply 27 of 47
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mhikl wrote: »

Actually, no.

The reported $12.5 B figure is grossly overstated. There was a ton of cash that reduces the net cost. There were also a lot of tax credits carried forward that also have some value.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member

Why Google ever thought that using Standards Essential Patents to restrict the competition would work is beyond me.  The contractual language on those things are pretty clear.  What, did they retain the same lawyers as Samsung?

• Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Gatorguy ??  Guess this can be a continuation of this thread

Google isn't liable because Motorola Mobility is their wholly owned subsidiary.  Nice how legal separation seems to absolve the parent company of responsibility.

GoogleGuy.

• Reply 30 of 47
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    GoogleGuy.

Watch what you say. I almost got banned for saying that.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    ronnronn Posts: 677member

"This could get more costly than yesterday's verdict: the EU can impose fines of up to 10% of annual revenues."  - Fosspatents.com

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Let's hope the EU has a stronger bite than the FTC.

• Reply 32 of 47
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Will Google ever get anything for that $12.5B they pissed away for Motorola?

If that was ever the plan, they seem to be moving in the wrong direction.

Google got Motorola Mobility to stop going after other Android phone makers with their patent trolling. At the time (and still is), Motorola Mobility was losing about $500 million a quarter, but saw the likes of Samsung, LG and HTC making money. And they were making money selling phones that were using some of Motorola Mobility patents. Motorola CEO let it be known that he wasn't going to stand for this and was going to increase the licensing fee for every company using their patents. Google couldn't let that happen, so they were willing to way over pay for Motorola Mobility to stop this. Notice that you don't hear anything about Motorola hitting Samsung with a license fee that is 2.5% of the total cost of a Galaxy phone.  Google made sure that Motorola Mobility only went after Android competitors with their patent trolling. No matter what some one say about MM being a separate division of Google and that Google has no direct control over their business decisions. 

• Reply 33 of 47
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Another $12.5 billion in damages.

... and I'm thinking, Balmer got Nokia for $7.2 billion. Arguably better brand, for almost half the price.

The man is rough diamond ;)
  • Reply 34 of 47
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

... and I'm thinking, Balmer got Nokia for $7.2 billion. Arguably better brand, for almost half the price.

The man is rough diamond image

Well, ad the subsidies MS was paying Nokia ($1 bn p.a. since announcing the partnership in 2011), which will not be returned, marketing support (unknown, some analysts put it at $3 bn for WP7 and WP8), and the $16 bn MSFT stock dropped immediately after announcing the deal, just to acquire a company that makes higher losses in a year than what Moto lost since Google acquired them and losing the only relevant WP licensee at one fell swoop... I would have second thoughts here.

Nokia is the better brand, no doubt. But bringing 32,000 European staff members along, winding this up will be very costly.

• Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn View Post

"This could get more costly than yesterday's verdict: the EU can impose fines of up to 10% of annual revenues."  - Fosspatents.com

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Let's hope the EU has a stronger bite than the FTC.

Sorry to say, but the EU fine will not be anywhere around 10% of annual revenues. This only ever happens when companies continue their misconduct once an investigation has been opened. They were clever enough to withdraw all claims immediately once this happened.

It is pretty hard to estimate the fine under these circumstances, but even if they are found to be "guilty", the limit would normally be around 3-5% of revenues in affected member countries (can be as low as 1% in minor cases) - whatever this would be.

• Reply 36 of 47
    How's that $12B 'investment' working for you, Google?
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

How's that $12B 'investment' working for you, Google?

We will all find out when MS will launch the, inevitable, attack on the Moto-X. Google's idea to bypass the ITC (and give it a patriotic twist) by assembling the device in the US... will have MS go ballistic. People, stash popcorn.

• Reply 38 of 47
    mhikl wrote: »

Actually it's even bigger then that. We can't forget that Google has had to pay off the losses MotoMo has run up the last couple years. I don't remember all the numbers, but once it half a billion in one single lump. Couple be around a couple billion by now. In all fairness Google did get some money back when they unloaded the set top box business that was part of the MotoMo purchase.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    Well, ad the subsidies MS was paying Nokia ($1 bn p.a. since announcing the partnership in 2011), which will not be returned, marketing support (unknown, some analysts put it at $3 bn for WP7 and WP8), and the $16 bn MSFT stock dropped immediately after announcing the deal, just to acquire a company that makes higher losses in a year than what Moto lost since Google acquired them and losing the only relevant WP licensee in one fellow swoop... I would have second thoughts here.

Nokia is the better brand, no doubt. But bringing 32,000 European staff members along, winding this up will be very costly.

I'd like to see MSFT try to impose "Stack Ranking" dismissals on a group of Europeans. A writer on one of the other blogs asked, "Who bought whom?"

Meanwhile today: There may be a savior company out there that will bail out BlackBerry but it apparently won’t be Huawei. In an interview with Reuters, Huawei board member Chen Lifang said that her company has no interest in buying BlackBerry or any other smartphone company.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I'd like to see MSFT try to impose "Stack Ranking" dismissals on a group of Europeans. A writer on one of the other blogs asked, "Who bought whom?"

Meanwhile today: There may be a savior company out there that will bail out BlackBerry but it apparently won’t be Huawei. In an interview with Reuters, Huawei board member Chen Lifang said that her company has no interest in buying BlackBerry or any other smartphone company.

I have seen quite a few US companies "integrating" European workers, and the mileage did vary a lot. A lot of US banks and tobacco companies were extremely good at that and used a cautious approach, I also had the luck to work for PanAm as my first employer (1984-91), and despite their financial situation and declining reputation they were nothing else but excellent with us. But I have also seen the exact opposite, Delta being the all-time low (they did have some form of staff ranking, an official denunciation hotline and, it did not even stop there... they even tried to install a mandatory morning mass without pay - a big hit with our almost 900 loading and cleaning staff being almost 80% Muslim; the definite highlight though was inviting a Muslim guy for his 30th company anniversary for some pork sausage).

Well, sorry for the detour, Elop knows the Nokia culture, and as much as I dislike him, I do believe that he did learn something about the mentality and sensibilities during the last three years.

I do have a certain feeling that BB will not be bought by a "saviour", but rather by a ghoul. Their devices business is toast, and what will become of BES and the NOC in the hand of a "foreign" company (if that's the case)... remains to be seen. None of our customers would buy secure messaging solutions from an Asian company (except for maybe a Japanese one), and thanks to the NSA, the US does not ring that well with EU business customers right now either (half of our customers have already cancelled Azure or Amazon Cloud projects).