Judge slaps Motorola with $14.5M payout to Microsoft for FRAND abuse

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    You had stopped reading after the $14.5m paid to MS, the part that is insulting is the free use of goorola's patents.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,100member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

You had stopped reading after the $14.5m paid to MS, the part that is insulting is the free use of goorola's patents.

I think the "free" use of MM patents comes from MS having to pay $1.8 million to MM to license the patents they're using, but now that MM owes MS $14.8 million, MS don't really have to pay MM to use their patents for the next 7 to 8 years.  And figuring the MM patents in question will most likely expire in that time, MS can effectively use MM patents for free, if this judgement stands.

• Reply 43 of 47
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

I think the "free" use of MM patents comes from MS having to pay $1.8 million to MM to license the patents they're using, but now that MM owes MS $14.8 million, MS don't really have to pay MM to use their patents for the next 7 to 8 years.  And figuring the MM patents in question will most likely expire in that time, MS can effectively use MM patents for free, if this judgement stands.

Yep, that is how I understood it, too.

But even if not, at least in the EU (I do not know the respective US laws well enough) the abuse of SEPs could indeed cause you to lose them, making them indeed free for everybody.

• Reply 44 of 47
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Actually, no.

The reported $12.5 B figure is grossly overstated. There was a ton of cash that reduces the net cost. There were also a lot of tax credits carried forward that also have some value.

There is also a few quarters since the sale where Motorola lost money and Google ate the loss. Google also had to eat the loss in regards eliminating some jobs (eg paying insurance).
  • Reply 45 of 47
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tbell wrote: »
    There is also a few quarters since the sale where Motorola lost money and Google ate the loss. Google also had to eat the loss in regards eliminating some jobs (eg paying insurance).

Yes, that's true. As I said, it's not trivial to calculate how much Motorola cost Google. There's also the opportunity cost (what else could they have done with that money) and the amount of time management spends on Moto. Plus, of course, tons of legal expenses.

All things considered, It was probably closer to $8 to $10 B than $12.5 B, but that's just a guess.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Yesterday Judge Robart dismissed Motorola Mobility's request to overturn the jury verdict. MM should put a period on it, pay the $15M and move on IMO.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Yesterday Judge Robart dismissed Motorola Mobility's request to overturn the jury verdict. MM should put a period on it, pay the $15M and move on IMO.

They should but is that what Google wants?