Apple unveils new iPhone 5c in green, blue, red, yellow & white starting at $99, launching Sept. 20

Comments

• Reply 81 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

So everyone was bitching about the thought of Apple releasing a "cheap" iPhone.

Now everyone is bitching that it's not cheap enough.

Nice to see nothing's changed.

Whatever. Apple will sell a gazillion of these.

I never though it would be cheap. People were unrealistic about that. It's just keeping the 4s around instead of making an entry level 5c irks me.

• Reply 82 of 168
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    john f. wrote: »
    Maybe if we all write Tim Cook that we want an entry level iPhone 5c instead of a 4s...? Remember when Apple lowered the price of the original iPhone with $200-$300? Come on... let's contact him... I think, Apple will treat 2013 as a transition year. iPod touch eventually has to go lower in price. iPod shuffle replaced with nano. iPhone 5c will eventually take the place of the current iPod touch in price point.

That decision showed one of Steve Jobs strengths. He admitted mistakes. If he hadnt done that the iPhone would be dead in the water. Cook seems to be a bean counter. He's obsessed with margins.
  • Reply 83 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The 5C is a winner, no IF about it. It has slightly superior specs to the iPhone 5, which was the leading selling iPhone Apple ever offered. PLUS, it comes with iWorks free.

I'm going to keep your comment handy...

• Reply 85 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yawn. There was no reason to replace the 5 with a cheap plastic cover unless the phone was much cheaper than the 5 would have been. The 5 could have had iWork's for free.

It would have been interesting to see the results if Apple would have released the 5 and the 5C at the same price.

• Reply 86 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Lol:

The Nokia phones look a tad more attractive. Cleaner, fresher... brighter.

• Reply 87 of 168
    Plastic? This is "innovative"?
  • Reply 88 of 168
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I am hopeful Apple will realease a cheap iPhone mini with a 3,5" screen to replace the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 89 of 168
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    I like what Apple showed today, but I can't fucking believe this phone is $599 CDN and the 5S is $719. I mean, holy shit. The rumors/expectations were definitely on in terms of price. Both models are significantly more expensive than I assumed they would be. I don't understand the reasoning behind increasing the 5S price from the 5. The fact that they've been manufacturing that design for so long, and economies of scale, should offset the increases in component costs. And not like they need even higher margins/profits. The cheapest 5S is $813 CDN w/tax. Insane.
  • Reply 90 of 168
    john f. wrote: »
    Problem then would be: What's the difference between the 5C and the 5? One is plastic and the other is not. Everything else is the same, so differentiation is minimal. And Apple doesn't want plastic to be regarded as inferior. Better to have 8GB base model 5C -- but we have to wait another 6-12 months for that to happen.

I don't think we'll ever see Apple offer an 8 GB iPhone with a 4" display. I was surprised that they did keep the 4S in the line this time around.
  • Reply 91 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Canada doesn't have 3 year plans anymore. Just so you are kept up to date.

Since when? 

I know all our major providers were afraid of a possible arrival of Verizon in Canada. They have made better offers. But now, Verizon is out...   

• Reply 92 of 168
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    iPhone 5c(hildren) $739 and $869 here in Australia. This phone is unapologetically aimed at the US market.

It really looks like Apple just want to be a US company. Mid ranged phone my ass.
  • Reply 93 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ealvarez View Post

Since when? 

I know all our major providers were afraid of a possible arrival of Verizon in Canada. They have made better offers. But now, Verizon is out...   

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2013/r130603.htm#.Ui90tryBMnU

• Reply 94 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2013/r130603.htm#.Ui90tryBMnU

"The code will apply to new contracts for cellphones and other personal mobile devices starting on December 2, 2013." ... ; )

... good to know by the way (thanks).

• Reply 95 of 168
    slurpy wrote: »
    I like what Apple showed today, but I can't fucking believe this phone is $599 CDN and the 5S is $719. I mean, holy shit. The rumors/expectations were definitely on in terms of price. Both models are significantly more expensive than I assumed they would be. I don't understand the reasoning behind increasing the 5S price from the 5. The fact that they've been manufacturing that design for so long, and economies of scale, should offset the increases in component costs. And not like they need even higher margins/profits. The cheapest 5S is $813 CDN w/tax. Insane.

Yeah. They've gone for margins not share even though the market signalled that they needed apple to go for share ( as rumours of a plastic iPhone surfaced the stock started a 6 month increase ). It's now going to tank.
  • Reply 96 of 168
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

Yeah, I can't believe people on here are complaining about the prices when the colours are terrible and will out of style within 6 months (well at least up until Easter).   Those Connect 4/5 cases are terrible as well.  As for the price, why did they even bother coming out with this when they simply could have slapped new colours on the 5 and sold it to kids for a reduced price?

They couldn't sell it to kids overseas without the new radio.

• Reply 97 of 168
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yeah. They've gone for margins not share even though the market signalled that they needed apple to go for share ( as rumours of a plastic iPhone surfaced the stock started a 6 month increase ). It's now going to tank.

The market always says they want share but when you don't delover margins they really burn you.

• Reply 98 of 168
    Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Hey, retards, who'd you steal the design from in the first place?

Sincerely, anyone who can remember more than two years into the past.

Wonder if they can be sued for that if they make it an actual ad.

• Reply 99 of 168

Anyone knows how they customize iOS7 to match the color of the backplate? Many possibilities come to mind, the most obvious one being an assembly/QC technician *programming* it in as one of the last steps after *burn-in*. But I wonder if Ive has designed in something to make it automatic. That would be way cool.

• Reply 100 of 168

I think Apple needs to tend to their market share now, to protect their ecosystem. Don't do it when developers start to code for Android first, then Apple. That would be too late. I thought the iPhone 5C was going to be that kind of iPhone, but it's too expensive.  And I'm not sure why they kept the iPhone 4S. Isn't it a pain in the butt for the iOS devs to keep one additional screen size? And for consumers one additional connector? Just don't understand that, knowing Apple likes to keep their lineup simple...