Apple keeps 8GB iPhone 4S around as free-on-contract option

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In introducing its new iPhones on Tuesday, Apple both adhered to tradition and shook things up, dropping the iPhone 5 but keeping the iPhone 4S alive as the low-end model.

Apple's iPhone media event on Tuesday brought little in the way of surprises regarding Apple's bestselling devices. As expected, Apple rolled out a lower-cost iPhone 5c and a high-end iPhone 5s with a built-in biometric security feature. As had also been predicted, Apple kept the two-year old iPhone 4S around as the low-end, on-contract option.

Well-connected KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that the iPhone 4S would stay in production even as the iPhone 5 made way for the iPhone 5c. Apple's polycarbonate backed iPhone 5c packs the same internals as the iPhone 5, but with its slower processor and smaller display, the 4S may be even cheaper still for Apple to manufacture.

Retaining the 4S is in keeping with standard Apple procedure since the introduction of the iPhone 4 in 2010. That year saw Apple keeping the 4's predecessor ? the iPhone 3GS ? in rotation as a cheaper option. The next year, with the release of the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 4 moved into the 3GS' former slot, while the 3GS moved on to an even lower on-contract price point. Now, the iPhone 4S will occupy that bargain-level entry point, available in an 8GB model for free with a two-year contract.

In offering only one memory configuration for the entry-level iPhone, Apple likely also reduces manufacturing and inventory costs. Apple's margins on the device may be aided even further by changes to its manufacturing strategy. The iPhone maker is expected to go with Pegatron for more than half of its legacy iPhone 4S orders. Apple will still rely on longtime partner Foxconn for much of its iPhone needs, but the move to a competitor for the cheaper iPhone option will likely help improve margins on the already low-priced device.

Even as the device showed began to show its age, the 4S was still the second-most popular smartphone in the world, according to figures from Strategy Analytics, beating out even Samsung's Galaxy S3, which had been released after the 4S. The 4S trailed only its successor, the iPhone 5, in terms of worldwide popularity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33

Nobody cares about "on contract" price anymore, even the US is moving to separate phone/contract models slowly. 

But given the dreadful price of the 5C, it's good they kept the 4S.

• Reply 2 of 33
    Prior to today, there was no 8GB 4S on sale. It was 16 GB. So the 8GB is a new/returning configuration
  • Reply 3 of 33

The iPhone 4s was a very good phone when it was released, but it is really starting to show it's age now. But there are still people that swears by the it's superior one hand usability, and I guess it is the perfect phone for them. I hope Apple bring out a 5 inch Iphone next year.

• Reply 4 of 33
    Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post
    Nobody cares about "on contract" price anymore, even the US is moving to separate phone/contract models slowly. 

Of course they do, and since when?

But given the dreadful price of the 5C

$99. How dreadful, as it's exactly the same price the iPhone 5 would have been had they kept it.

• Reply 5 of 33
    Why keep the 4S with the old connector?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    captain j wrote: »
    Surely, with a new 8GB configuration, they will update to lightning connector? I don't see them keeping the 30-pin connector for legacy customers ... Just one more excuse to not buy current products.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Surely, with a new 8GB configuration, they will update to lightning connector?

No, they didn't.

Just one more excuse to not buy current products.

How does that make any sense?

• Reply 8 of 33
    Well that was a massively underwhelming Apple event. I think we all need to temper our expectations and remember that Apple is an incredibly patient company that is perfectly willing to make people wait 16 months for an overdue update.

I'm sure they want to standardize on the Lightning connector and 4" display, but ultimately it's about dollars and cents. Shoving the 4S guts into the 5C body (what I predicted the 5C would be) must have a higher cost than continuing production of the 4S unchanged. Therefore Apple is willing to wait until 2014 to finally put the 30-pin connector out to pasture.

They're also in no rush to change a pricing model that yields greater than 1000% margins on flash memory. A quick look at SD card pricing shows a $10 difference between 16GB and 32GB yet Apple has conditioned its sheeple to pay $100.

At this point my expectations for the upcoming iPad and Mac events are about as low as they could possibly be.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

$99. How dreadful, as it's exactly the same price the iPhone 5 would have been had they kept it.

With a bigger battery and better front camera.

The 4S should have changed the connector or just dumped it. Oh well- we can wait a year. :)
  • Reply 10 of 33
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Yeah. So what's the point of the plastic?
  • Reply 11 of 33
    The point of plastic is that they know that the second tier model sells very well. They have sold a lot of iPhone 4s over the last product cycle. Now that position is taken by the 5C, yet it also appears fresher (allowing them to sell to fashion conscious buyers who don't want last years thing.) while by lowering the production cost they can also increase the margin. For the truly price sensitive there is still the 4S.

And for China, I'll bet they have done a deal to lower their margins on the 5C to make it acceptable to China mobile, yet as the 5C is cheaper to make they can still keep their margins at a level they want while offering the phone at a price the Chinese consumer will bear.

It may not be what Wall Street wanted, but provided the 5C in China is cheap enough to sell it may be a very clever compromise.

time will tell.

Remember the 2 year upgraders probably bought 4S at full price. For them the replacement is the 5S. The place where they need to be aggressive on price is China, not Europe or the USA where market share is actually holding up well.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

More durable, especially if you don't want to use a case.

• Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Surely, with a new 8GB configuration, they will update to lightning connector? I don't see them keeping the 30-pin connector for legacy customers ... Just one more excuse to not buy current products.

According to their website, it will use the old connector.

Makes no sense, but still.

• Reply 14 of 33
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

More durable, especially if you don't want to use a case.

Than metal? Wait a minute. Which one cracks, again? And which one is used to make every building of the modern era?

• Reply 15 of 33
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

I don't understand the iPhone 5c. It's just the iPhone 5. Maybe it's true that they cannot make current iPhone 5 in those color so they need to change the chassis to have plastic coated for color. They should've still made iPhone 5 available and make iPhone 5c start at 8GB for free with subsidy. BTW, Effing Apple. No upgrade for my family of 3.

• Reply 16 of 33
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I don't understand the iPhone 5c. It's just the iPhone 5.

Except with different telephony, a better front camera, a larger battery, and in colors. So not just the iPhone 5.

BTW, Effing Apple. No upgrade for my family of 3.

And how is this Apple's fault?

• Reply 17 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    asdasd wrote: »

Jony Ive said it was 'unapologetically plastic' in the video:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/videos/#video-product

I think it should apologise for being plastic and not a cheaper iPhone 5. The 5C looks quite nice in use in the video but those cases don't look good at all - the color matched ones are ok but there's no need for the holes in that case. The fact they went to so much trouble with their own cases even hints that they expect people to buy cases for them i.e the plastic is not to avoid cases. They have cases for the 5S too. I don't remember them doing this before. They had bumpers but I don't remember there being official Apple cases.

I know they've said that the plastic is done in a way to feel robust but the build quality is clearly higher on the cheaper iPhone 4S. I notice they don't say the display is IPS for either the 5C or 5S, I'm pretty sure they used to list the panel type. It says Retina display so I assume it's still an IPS panel. It's hard to make out in the video any color shifts when turning it:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/10/4714074/apple-iphone-5c-hands-on-pictures-video

You can see the cases there, yellow on pink, blech. Why even put that on display?

• Reply 18 of 33
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can see the cases there, yellow on pink, blech. Why even put that on display?

All available color combinations do work well together. It's the setting–the fact that they're on a phone–that makes them situationally good or bad*. But I believe that some of them are Apple giving a slap in the face to Windows 8's atrocious colors. "See, it's not the colors that make your OS sell poorly, it's your OS!"

*I'm trying to remember where I've seen these colors together in a beautiful way… I'll think of it.

• Reply 19 of 33
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Dear Mr. Out-of-context-Quoter,

way to twist his words around.

I think he was referring to the $549 starting price off contract.

Apple is so smug they think that a re-branded iP5 with plastic back should be this much?  For people like me, off-contract pricing is a huge deal.  Being out of the country for 5 months of the year, I need the All-in-one device that can replace my iPhone 4, iPod Classic, and potentially my iPad2 with a single device.  Apple missed the mark on all three of those for me.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone 5S has some really nice innovations, and the 5C is nothing to sneeze at, but for people who need to consolidate, these two new offering just does add/subtract anything from my existing needs.

I have no idea what I'm going to do before my next trip to China, but I certainly won't be the single device.  I'll prolly have to suck it up to contract pricing on a new phone and wait to unlock it, then use my iP4 in China.  Still sucks because I could use those security features and camera improvements over there.

• Reply 20 of 33
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

That was exactly what I was thinking.  After the iPad updates, the iPod classic and the iPhone 4S will be the only two devices using the 30-pin connector.  To me, that one of a couple really bad decisions Apple made with this event.