Apple posts iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c intro videos to the Web

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following the Apple's announcement of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, the company has posted videos shown in Tuesday's media event to the Web, offering a closer look at both devices and their new features.

iPhone 5s


The short videos were posted to Apple's official YouTube channel a few hours after SVP of marketing Phil Schiller introduced the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s at a special media event held at the company's Cupertino, Calif., campus.

Touch ID fingerprint sensor

Apple introduced a biometric fingerprint sensor with the iPhone 5s, dubbed Touch ID, which promises to streamline user authentication and iTunes purchases.

iPhone 5s iSight

The iPhone's rear-facing iSight camera was the recipient of a major revamp with the 5s, bringing a slightly larger sensor array with larger pixels, dual-LED flash, and refined f/2.2 optics to the platform. In addition to the hardware buffs, iOS 7's camera software was also substantially revamped, with new burst shooting modes, slow motion video capture and image stabilization technology.

iPhone 5c - For the Colorful.

The lone video for the iPhone 5c takes a look into the thinking behind designing the polycarbonate-shelled handset. Color, weight, geometry and usability were all taken into consideration when designing the new lower cost handset.



Prior to the YouTube posting, the product videos were made available on Apple's website shortly after the announcement.

AppleInsider was at Tuesday's event and spent some hands-on time with the devices and was able to take detailed pictures of both the smartphones and their respective accessories.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 31

    The Apple event was very short. I guess the iPhone 5s and 5c unveiling was what most people were expecting, and Apple did not disappoint. But I just have a feeling Apple is going to surprise us with an event later this year where they might unveil a larger screen iPhone.

  • Reply 2 of 31
    connie wrote: »
    The Apple event was very short. I guess the iPhone 5s and 5c unveiling was what most people were expecting, and Apple did not disappoint. But I just have a feeling Apple is going to surprise us with an event later this year where they might unveil a larger screen iPhone.

    Not sure if they didn't disappoint, but they certainly didn't surprise. Lot of yawns coming from the tech blogs and stock closed down, so it's hard to categorize this one as a slam dunk.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    I think they should stop having J Ive doing the promo videos. He's just too easy to parody.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    cash907 wrote: »
    Not sure if they didn't disappoint, but they certainly didn't surprise. Lot of yawns coming from the tech blogs and stock closed down, so it's hard to categorize this one as a slam dunk.

    Stock closed down because the 5C was seen as too expensive.

    Of course it'll sell well because its an Apple product but at the same time I feel Apple could have been a lot more aggressive with the pricing of their plastic phone.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post





    Stock closed down because the 5C was seen as too expensive.



    Of course it'll sell well because its an Apple product but at the same time I feel Apple could have been a lot more aggressive with the pricing of their plastic phone.

     

    Sure they could have been more aggressive with their pricing, but that's never been the way that Apple has done things.  It hardly seems fair to fault Apple when it's the rumor mill that got things wrong.

  • Reply 7 of 31

    I teach at a major university, and happened to have a lab on Tuesday during the announcement. One of the students showed off the picture of the iPhone 5C as it was being displayed in a live blog. The students went crazy - they immediately all started picking out their favorite colors and which one they were going to buy. They didn't care about the specs. They thought $99 was fantastic on contract. 

     I don't think the usual tech media crowd is the target audience for colorful iPhones.

  • Reply 8 of 31
    hopeless wrote: »
    I teach at a major university, and happened to have a lab on Tuesday during the announcement. One of the students showed off the picture of the iPhone 5C as it was being displayed in a live blog. The students went crazy - they immediately all started picking out their favorite colors and which one they were going to buy. They didn't care about the specs. They thought $99 was fantastic on contract. 
     I don't think the usual tech media crowd is the target audience for colorful iPhones.

    I definitely don't doubt the 5C will do well in the US and other countries where subsidized post paid plans are more popular than prepaid.

    To many in the US $99 on contract sounds like a great price. On the other hand if they were told the price were $550 they probably wouldn't have the same positive reaction.

    Anyway the 5C will drive up market share in places where the iPhone is already popular.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    droidftw wrote: »
    Sure they could have been more aggressive with their pricing, but that's never been the way that Apple has done things.  It hardly seems fair to fault Apple when it's the rumor mill that got things wrong.

    That's true but investors seemed to have had their hopes in Apple shaking the low-cost/mid-range smartphone market with the 5C.

    Without that the event brought nothing new to the table for Apple other than the NTT DoMoCo deal.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 394member
    Apple did what they had to with the 5C and 5S. Aiming for the lowest cheap product is not the way to go. There is already too much junk around. On the other hand, Apple's iPhone is defining the company and if you are not in to cell phones then there really isn't a whole lot to be excited about these days. I am a bit iOS'd out. It would be nice to see something new on the Mac side, the ATV and even some solution to the palm rejection issue with the iPad. Apple can't stay away from handwriting forever, especially if they want these devices in schools.

    philip
  • Reply 11 of 31
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

    5C, I can not help but laughing all the way.  Apple just repackaged iPhone 5 with plastic and selling as a new product.

  • Reply 12 of 31
    hjb wrote: »
    5C, I can not help but laughing all the way.  Apple just repackaged iPhone 5 with plastic and selling as a new product.

    Apple will be laughing all the way to the bank.

    RIP Android in the US.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post





    Apple will be laughing all the way to the bank.



    RIP Android in the US.

     

    I am not sure about that with 4inch screen.

  • Reply 14 of 31
    hjb wrote: »
    I am not sure about that with 4inch screen.

    You do know the #1 selling smartphone in the world has a 4 inch screen right? (Hint that phone was also made by Apple)
  • Reply 15 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member

    The 5S is better than I thought. The touch sensor is good of course, but the 64-bit OS and double CPU and graphics speed was unexpected and great. As for the 5C well, I'm not so sure it will be a success.

  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hjb View Post

     

    5C, I can not help but laughing all the way.  Apple just repackaged iPhone 5 with plastic and selling as a new product.


     

    No wonder you are relatively new here.

    Why they killed the iPhone 5?

     

     

    With any new product, the last one get lower price, the 5c fills the void.

     

    I wonder, WHY the obtuseness?

  • Reply 17 of 31

    I'd have to agree with the comments on pricing. The US contract system distorts the market but here in the UK the 5C starts at £469 ($736) and the 5S at £549 ($862) and  a lot of people, me included, who would never dream of walking around with a £500 phone in their pocket and therefore won't consider an iPhone.

     

    The combination of candy-bar, child-friendly colours and premium pricing is a gamble and it will be great for Apple if they pull it off if if I were an investor looking for significance growth in developing markets from a post-Steve Jobs era Apple I suspect I'd be dumping my stock too.

  • Reply 18 of 31
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

    That is mucho money for a cell phone.I do not blame you about the price at all.

  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post





    Not sure if they didn't disappoint, but they certainly didn't surprise. Lot of yawns coming from the tech blogs and stock closed down, so it's hard to categorize this one as a slam dunk.

     

    Yeah, stock closing down has never happened before. Except after the iPhone was announced. And the iPad. And every announcement since then. They'll sell tens of millions of these and make huge profits and somewhere, someplace, some people might realize that looking to analysts and stockholders for advice on what and when to buy and sell is the worst idea you could have for your stock portfolio.

     

    -stock holder since 1996

  • Reply 20 of 31
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    ochyming wrote: »
    <div class="quote-container">Quote:<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>hjb</strong> <a href="/t/159471/apple-posts-iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c-intro-videos-to-the-web#post_2394122"><img alt="View Post" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" /></a><br /> <p>5C, I can not help but laughing all the way.  Apple just repackaged iPhone 5 with plastic and selling as a new product.</p></div></div><p> </p><p>No wonder you are relatively new here.</p><p>Why they killed the iPhone 5?</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>With any new product, the last one get lower price, the 5c fills the void.</p><p> </p><p>I wonder, WHY the obtuseness?</p>

    No, that did not happen before. We could have purchased iPhone 5 for the same price of iPhone 5c.

    Why killed iPhone 5? I don't know, but there maybe some major defaults in aluminium material for iPhone 5? Or Apple wants everyone buy 5s instead of iPhone 5 thus repackaging iPhone 5 with plastic and killing iPhone 5? I don't know.
Sign In or Register to comment.