Apple's iPhone 5c uses unique design, precision manufacturing to avoid 'plastic' stigma

Comments

• Reply 81 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

i took that to mean Apple isn't ashamed to do plastic because they think they know how to do it right.

You're probably right. But I think it's cool to read into the symbolic connotation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What Wall Street wants with Apple - cheaper prices but still maintaining high margins and profits - is totally unrealistic.

Indeed. So Apple *unapologetically* told them to get lost. :)

• Reply 82 of 179
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Because it's the design and not the actual plastic that's being done right.

*Doing* plastic is not just about choosing the material. It's absolutely spot on to say that Apple is doing plastic right in this instance.

• Reply 83 of 179
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

To emerging markets and large families, it's a better iPhone 5 at half the price.

It will sell like crazy and with a healthy margin for Apple.

Are you nuts?  On ATT an iPhone 5 costs effectively $1100 + $199 or $1300 when compared to an equivalent BYOD plan on t-Mobile. In other words thats how much extra you pay over 2 years for a similar data plan but with subsidized phone.

The 5C effectively costs $1200. 

Nowhere near half. Methinks effective marketing has sucked you in nicely.

• Reply 84 of 179
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Stock now is down over $20 pre market. I guess I might be wrong about it coming back a bit before the market opens. The stock will get hammered today and for one reason: Wall Street wanted a cheap phone and didnt get it. And if Apple doesn't announce pre-order sales figures for the 5C (or they're not that great) the stock will tank even further.

Wall street and a lot of consumers.

• Reply 85 of 179
    Quote:

Originally Posted by murman View Post

Posers who buy phones as status symbols care what the back looks like because that's what everyone else sees.

• Reply 86 of 179
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    The 5c will be the low end next year, probably at $400 unsubsidized. It makes sense to replace their mid-tier now with something that they can mass-market price next year.
  • Reply 87 of 179
    *Doing* plastic is not just about choosing the material. It's absolutely spot on to say that Apple is doing plastic right in this instance.

I agree but I won't accept that argument from someone who has been ringing the 'cheap plastic' bell for the last 3 years. Many here have confidently proclaimed "Apple moved away from plastic" only to be proven wrong yesterday but now they're lauding the use of plastic. In my book that's hypocritical, but some have integrity, and have openly said that they don't like this move by Apple.
  • Reply 88 of 179
    rogifan wrote: »
    No what?

You compared the build quality of the 5C to the 3G/3GS.

The 3G/3GS looked and felt expensive with their metal knobs and switches as well as the metal surround around the screen.

The build quality of those phones cannot be compared to the kid-friendly 5Cs.
  • Reply 89 of 179
    blackbook wrote: »
    You compared the build quality of the 5C to the 3G/3GS.

The 3G/3GS looked and felt expensive with their metal knobs and switches as well as the metal surround around the screen.

The build quality of those phones cannot be compared to the kid-friendly 5Cs.

The 3G/3GS were also ergonomically designed and felt natural while holding it.
  • Reply 90 of 179
    The more I hear and see from Tim Cook the less impressed I get. This was an opportunity for Apple to completely capture the Chinese market for decades by launching a lower cost phone. If they had made a phone exclusively for China Mobile and priced at $450 unlocked, it would have been a game changer. They could have used cheaper components to keep margins around 25 to 30 percent and no one could use the phone elsewhere because China Mobile has a unique 4G frequency. Instead the 5C is priced over $700 in China while competitors are selling smartphones as low as $200. Apple would sacrifice a little bit of margin but be able to griw its ecosystem which is the key value driver for its share price. Instead, Apple is rapidly losing share in China to Android. The content in China is quickly moving away from iOS and once it's lost it's very hard to get back. Tim Cook seems incapable of appreciating this and I really think he needs to go. He's become a hinderence and a very high priced hinderence at that.
  • Reply 91 of 179
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I just want to know what idiot signed off on this:

There should be a "hai" below it, then it would make sense :)

• Reply 92 of 179

He is more a MBA-type number cruncher.  He is not a marketer like Jeff Bezo let alone Steve Jobs.

• Reply 93 of 179
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It needs the new cover to really showcase it though. The holey plastic on top of plastic really refines it.
  • Reply 94 of 179

I really want to be surprised and see the 5C sell like hotcakes (or is that hot cakes).

I can't help feeling, though, that Apple is having a Performa moment.

Can someone tell me the #1 reason why Apple chose a plastic phone? I mean, really, does plastic, any plastic, say "premium" to you.

I thought Apple was classy. Top of the pile. Wouldn't stoop to cheap (or not so cheap) tricks to entertain the masses.

• Reply 95 of 179

It's an overpriced plastic phone that Apple has slammed forever.

• Reply 96 of 179

Is the thermoplastic war that Jobs was talking about?

• Reply 97 of 179
    I really want to be surprised and see the 5C sell like hotcakes (or is that hot cakes).

I can't help feeling, though, that Apple is having a Performa moment.

Can someone tell me the #1 reason why Apple chose a plastic phone? I mean, really, does plastic, any plastic, say "premium" to you.

I thought Apple was classy. Top of the pile. Wouldn't stoop to cheap (or not so cheap) tricks to entertain the masses.

I'd be willing to bet that the 5C will sell better than had they stood with the 5 as it is now.

#1 reason is cost, there's a finite amount of aluminum in the world thus subjective to supply and demand price increases whereas plastic can be produced over and over again keeping the price relatively static.
  • Reply 98 of 179
    thecnguy wrote: »
    it's still plastic..

The iPhone 3GS was still plastic. This is far better.
  • Reply 99 of 179
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    It's an overpriced plastic phone that Apple has slammed forever.

Would the trolls, paid leaders and stupid unpaid followers, take their retarded game elsewhere? It gets really tiring to be exposed to puerile, incompetent opinions from people who either don't understand or have a vested interest in jumping on anything that could be twisted somehow into damaging Apple for no good reason (other than the financial gain of paid bloggers, stock market speculators and Apple's competition).

Most of the idiots complaining about "plastic" would be fine with "carbon fibre composite" but they bitch about polycarbonate plastic, even though carbon fibre composite is f*'n plastic, except it's not even properly recyclable and would be total overkill given the structural requirements of an iPhone.

Talking about high-grade appliances and good design ripped off by Samsung: the dyson vacuum cleaners, top of the crop in their market, are also mostly polycarbonate and there's nothing "cheap" about those, either.

Understand physics, understand chemistry, understand engineering, understand good design; then maybe come back to bitch, but better have reasons based on facts before starting an argument, or be prepared to run with your proverbial tail between your legs.
  • Reply 100 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'd be willing to bet that the 5C will sell better than had they stood with the 5 as it is now.

#1 reason is cost, there's a finite amount of aluminum in the world thus subjective to supply and demand price increases whereas plastic can be produced over and over again keeping the price relatively static.

So, basically, Apple is willing to trade their "premium" brand status to save a few bucks.

[believe me, Apple sells enough products, and also has Cook's expertise at controlling the commodity buying, that aluminum prices wouldn't factor into this decision too much... especially when you sacrifice the brand in exchange)