Apple's upcoming iCloud keychain feature removed from iOS 7 Golden Master

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Developers updating their devices to the iOS 7 Golden Master seed have found that iCloud keychain, Apple's new cloud-based credential storage system, has disappeared.

image


iCloud Keychain, a new feature of iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 Mavericks that allows users to securely store account names, passwords, and credit card information in iCloud and sync the data between their Macs, iPhones, and iPads, appears to have been removed from the latest iOS 7 pre-release seed.

The feature, revealed at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, previously appeared as a toggle in the iCloud settings menu, but is now missing.

In addition, Apple's iOS 7 'What's New' page now lists iCloud Keychain as 'Coming Soon,' an indication that there has been a change to the feature's delivery schedule. It is possible that Cupertino may have opted to delay the release to coincide with the rollout of OS X Mavericks, which is expected in late October.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 43
    That's weird, especially since they talked about it during WWDC. But the tie-in with 10.9 may make sense here.
  • Reply 2 of 43

    Wh… but… No… :(

     

    So. iOS 7.0.1, then…

  • Reply 3 of 43
    Wouldn't be surprised if iCloud keychain is there but has been deactivated until Mavericks roles out.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Maybe the NSA scandal made AES appear too insecure?
    Maybe it was too buggy?
    Maybe they just were busy enjoying mojitos and forgot to code the feature?

    Who cares. It'll come when it comes. What I want to know is WHEN IS THE MAC PRO AVAILABLE?
    This year, on the 31st of December?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    With the NSA and soon everyone else hacking into cloud services or more likely demanding a back door, why would you even consider putting your passwords in cloud storage????
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Running both the betas it has been less then impressive, its probably smarter to remove it and polish it before it up before wide release.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by realjustinlong View Post



    Running both the betas it has been less then impressive, its probably smarter to remove it and polish it before it up before wide release.

     

    Just license the back end tech from Roboform and plug it in.  Been using it for over 10 years and it works great.

  • Reply 8 of 43
    I'm glad to see them holding back features until the bugs have been squashed. They don't want another round of bad press like Maps on iOS 6.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    It'll be added back once OS X is released and iCloud is updated. No reason to have it in there now.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Isidore View Post



    With the NSA and soon everyone else hacking into cloud services or more likely demanding a back door, why would you even consider putting your passwords in cloud storage????

    If the passwords are for logging into cloud/internet services... Does your point even matter? 

  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post



    I'm glad to see them holding back features until the bugs have been squashed. They don't want another round of bad press like Maps on iOS 6.

     

    what bugs?  It's a Mavericks timing issue.   While I doubt they planned on simultaneous release, they had to a) announce and b) test it.  Now they just have to get the back end deployed (your desktop).

  • Reply 12 of 43
    Very sad ... I was hopping to dump these guys once and forever and ever ... :(

    https://agilebits.com/products/1password

    I'm sure they're partying big time ....
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

    I'm sure they're partying big time ....

     

    For another month at most.

  • Reply 14 of 43
    The fingerprint scanner seems pretty amazing to me, and I was wondering why they didn't give it more time/attention in the keynote, but maybe dropping keychain at the last minute (and any related demos) is the reason why. Either way, I still have to suffer another year on contract with my (still awesome) iPhone 5 while I lust after the features of the 5s. It's a small price to pay for being an Apple fan :)
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Or it could be because the stupid thing never worked right in iOS, especially on the iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post



    Or it could be because the stupid thing never worked right in iOS, especially on the iPad.

    Smarten up!

     

    Companies release beta/pre-lease software to help work the bugs out, if it worked perfectly it would have been released as a finished product. Don't want bugs, then don't run beta/pre-release software or participate in beta/pre-release programs.

  • Reply 17 of 43
    Good thing. They should test and test and test this thing!
  • Reply 18 of 43
    I thought for sure that this would pair with Touch ID so it would save your passwords and just ask for your fingerprint to input the password for you.... Maybe it's not quite ready yet
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

     

     

    what bugs?  It's a Mavericks timing issue.   While I doubt they planned on simultaneous release, they had to a) announce and b) test it.  Now they just have to get the back end deployed (your desktop).


     

    I beg to differ. If you have multiple iOS devices, then why would this need to wait until it's available in OSX too?

     

    I'd argue that it's been removed because it didn't work. At least not in iOS. It works really well in Mavericks, but on iOS it keeps asking to authenticate using a passcode or another device. Neither works and so it continues asking to authenticate.

     

    And for those hoping it's a replacement for 1Password, it isn't. Not completely. If all you use 1Password for is storing passwords and wallets, then it probably will. I also use 1Password for storing (and syncing between machines) my software licenses. I suppose you could, in theory, move to iCloud Keychain and buy AppShelf for less. 1Password is fantastic, but there's no argument it's damn expensive...

  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

     

    Smarten up!

     

    Companies release beta/pre-lease software to help work the bugs out, if it worked perfectly it would have been released as a finished product. Don't want bugs, then don't run beta/pre-release software or participate in beta/pre-release programs.


     

    Apologist mode in full effect, I see. Well done. Over a year of in house alphas, plus 6 public betas, should have been more than enough time to make keychain work. That it was dropped completely in the GM smacks of abandonment, plain and simple. I'm fine with that, personally, as it's usefulness was doubtful anyway.

     

    By the by, I'm a DEVELOPER, Realistic. Not sure what you do for a living, but dealing with software bugs is a large part of my job. That said, there is bug, and then there is broken. Keychain is broken, period. Hey thanks for the ignorant lecture though, as those are always amusing.

Sign In or Register to comment.