Apple rumored to release new Apple TV product in coming weeks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    They haven't announced anything, but I'm already preemptively disappointed. /s

I dunno... Watching Jeopardy on the TV -- and wonderin' if Alex Trebec can get any taller???
  • Reply 42 of 57
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Nothing short of a full fledged TV interests me, and if they were doing that we'd have had a lot more rumour from the factories producing it I think. 

Any revised box can only be for games (who cares) and/or cable integration which will of course be USA only (quadruple who cares).  

I'm not interested in a fully fledged tv, I have one already and only a year or so old. An updated Apple TV box is much more interesting, even for someone outside of the US.

• Reply 43 of 57

With all the rumors floating around, Apple is working on SOMETHING for Apple TV.  That much is sure.  I don't think they are going to open the flood gates and allow all sorts of apps for Apple TV.  I expect its something better.   

If I had to guess I think the ability for iOS devices to use the AppleTV as a secondary display (like in Mavericks) is in the works.  It might be limited to the iPhone 5S and next gen iPad, but I think it is coming.  If iOS could use AppleTV as a secondary screen that would create a lot of new and exciting opportunities for app developers.  Plus, then you don't really need apps on the Apple TV.  If you want something on the Apple TV you just write something for the iPhone and iPad that has support for the AppleTV built in.

Just my completely random theory.  My only proof is that if they've got it working in Mavericks they could probably do it in iOS too.

• Reply 44 of 57
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

If I had to guess I think the ability for iOS devices to use the AppleTV as a secondary display (like in Mavericks) is in the works.

You can already do that for all the instances in which it would make any sense to do.

• Reply 45 of 57
    rednival wrote: »
    With all the rumors floating around, Apple is working on SOMETHING for Apple TV.  That much is sure.  I don't think they are going to open the flood gates and allow all sorts of apps for Apple TV.  I expect its something better.   

If I had to guess I think the ability for iOS devices to use the AppleTV as a secondary display (like in Mavericks) is in the works.  It might be limited to the iPhone 5S and next gen iPad, but I think it is coming.  If iOS could use AppleTV as a secondary screen that would create a lot of new and exciting opportunities for app developers.  Plus, then you don't really need apps on the Apple TV.  If you want something on the Apple TV you just write something for the iPhone and iPad that has support for the AppleTV built in.

Just my completely random theory.  My only proof is that if they've got it working in Mavericks they could probably do it in iOS too.

I'd go the other way... Give the AppleTv a HDMI in and the ability to stream unique video to multiple iPads as Personal TVs
  • Reply 46 of 57
    THIS JUST IN: This afternoon Apple announced that the company has cured cancer and associated fatal diseases. Apple stock (APLL) hit penny stock status in after hour trading. Steve Ballmer, the outgoing CEO of Microsoft (MSFT) in commenting on the news said, "We will be coming out with a cure in the near future, however our cure is fully compatible with Windows."
  • Reply 47 of 57

If true, glad I didn't buy an ATV two months ago as I almost did. Will gladly welcome a new and updated "hobby." Looking forward to it, thanks Apple.

• Reply 48 of 57
    eriamjh wrote: »
    I've always wondered why the Apple TV is black and the Airport stuff is white.

Probably because all HEC are black and doesn't distract while watching TV. Airports are usually out of sight, or at least not close to a TV.
    If true, glad I didn't buy an ATV two months ago as I almost did. Will gladly welcome a new and updated "hobby." Looking forward to it, thanks Apple.

If you'll wait for the latest and greatest you'll always be waiting.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    philboogie wrote: »

There are good times to buy apple gear and crappy times to buy apple gear. For example right now is a particularly crappy time to buy any non-Haswell Apple computer, the Mac Pro, the iPad, the iPhone (especially the iPhone) and the aTV.

It is a good time to buy a refreshed Haswell MBA.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    I've always wondered why the Apple TV is black and the Airport stuff is white.

Apple TV came first, but AirPort's color came first. And who wants to be sold an "Apple TV" that turns out to be an AirPort Express?

Umm 99.999999% of TVs & A/V components are black? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Apple stock (APLL) hit penny stock status in after hour trading.

I think I've finally discovered the reason Wall Street treats Apple so horribly. They don't have a clue what its stock symbol is, and so all the money that should be going to AAPL has been going to APLL, APPL, APPE, and APLE for YEARS!

;)

• Reply 52 of 57
    There has to be another event coming in a month or so, they have ipods to refresh and ipads, wasn't it last year, after one event they said "we have a little more to show you" then boom it was ipad mini? Do I need a new tv not really, would I would be interested in a new apple tv sure, especially if it started having more games available versus just airplay.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    nht wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

There are good times to buy apple gear and crappy times to buy apple gear. For example right now is a particularly crappy time to buy any non-Haswell Apple computer, the Mac Pro, the iPad, the iPhone (especially the iPhone) and the aTV.

It is a good time to buy a refreshed Haswell MBA.

Well, that's true, but only if we know from history what the timeline is and maybe we can guess when an update is coming out. For the MacPro, it turned out to be difficult as it was steadily upgraded for many years, but then, 'mediocre upgrades'.

The AppleTV, which this user was concerned about, is difficult to tell as we have no idea what they want to upgrade. The CPU? More HDMI ports, HDMI-in maybe?
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Delete duplicate post please
  • Reply 55 of 57
    I think I've finally discovered the reason Wall Street treats Apple so horribly. They don't have a clue what its stock symbol is, and so all the money that should be going to AAPL has been going to APLL, APPL, APPE, and APLE for YEARS!

;)

Hahah haha ha that's funny! And probably true...
  • Reply 56 of 57

Wow...

It's been a mighty long few weeks.

About that software upgrade.  Yeah that's done....

Where's the gnu hardware?