Apple further details new Touch ID fingerprint sensor, notes system is not flawless

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    It's the reptilians. Chariots of the Gods, man; they practically own South America.
    It's the morlocks that I find unsettling.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eckergus View Post

… Me? I don't care. If you're not doing anything illegal you shouldn't have to worry … 

I should be clear that I don't believe all this conspiracy BS flying around this thread, but ...

If you study your history (I know it's not taught anymore), you would know that your statement is one of the core sentiments of … Fascism.  

It's the classic justification for totalitarian states everywhere in the world and throughout history.  It's an anti-democratic statement by definition.  

It's also completely illogical and utterly nonsensical, but hey … that's Fascism for ya!  

Sieg Heil!

• Reply 43 of 64
    gtr wrote: »
    If the sensor ever fails to read your finger print there is a workaround that can be implemented using another appendage.

However, this implementation cannot be used by females...

And at this point the fact that your iPhone heats up a little when used becomes a feature instead of a flaw. Otherwise shrinkage would result in way too many false negatives.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    nexusphan wrote: »
    What is the heck state do you live in the takes your thumbprint for a drivers license? That has to be illegal. That's insane. I wouldn't get a drivers license if I had to do that.
    Texas. Passed the law in '67, fully implemented by '69. Of course at that time the prints would have to be matched by a trained expert who already knew which sets of prints that were going to be compared - there would be no search of all prints for a match
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Apple cautions that the Touch ID sensor is not perfect and will give inaccurate readings in some cases, especially when a finger is moist. This is due to the capacitive "image" the sensor array captures. Moisture or other conductive debris on a finger could give false readings.
    So Touch ID returns a false negative from a Dirty Sanchez? Got it.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No sweat!

So, if there is an accident nearby, and you urgently need to call the police or the doctor, you need to remember your passcode.

Anyway, here's the reason why they didn't demo that feature, as already suspected by some ...

• Reply 47 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is such an obvious flaw.  It will almost certainly generate huge amounts of user frustration and many complaints.  

The type of person they are intending to use the sensor are those that normally don't use authentication in the first place.  So these folks (and I know them well) will put in a passcode to start using the sensor and then immediately forget what it is.  

At some point they will leave the phone alone for too long and get locked out.  Then the only way back in is to remember that password they put in months or possibly years ago and never had to re-enter.  It's a virtual certainty that they won't remember this passcode, and there won't be anything for it but a trip to the Apple store. 

Couldn't agree more. That was exactly what worried me too when reading this. But Touch ID really shouldn't be a failure for Apple. I hope this tech is better than a fair share here worries it actually will be. I don't know what the success rate of accurate finger print reading must be for it to be a success. My guess is, it must be >95%.

• Reply 48 of 64
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    It's the morlocks that I find unsettling.

Morlocks don't exist.

Stop spreading CHUD FUD.

;)
  • Reply 49 of 64
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    macapfel wrote: »
    So, if there is an accident nearby, and you urgently need to call the police or the doctor, you need to remember your passcode.
    Anyway, here's the reason why they didn't demo that feature, as already suspected by some ...

Though I've not had cause to try it, I understand that you can dial emergency numbers without unlocking the phone.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    gtr wrote: »
    Morlocks don't exist.

Stop spreading CHUD FUD.

;)
    CHUD. I forgot about them. But then again, I usually only see my inlaws around the holidays!
  • Reply 51 of 64
    denobin wrote: »
    Don't believe you. Sources or it's BS.

Nothing gets by you. You aced sarcasm detection class in school.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by globalpix View Post

Just be careful you're not interesting enough for anyone to bother with.

Fixed 8-)

• Reply 53 of 64

whats the big issue here? Loads of Windows laptops have had a fingerprint scanner on them for years, and I never once read any article about them and the "security concerns". Granted they pretty much never worked, but surely the same process was involved, only your hash was stored within software, not on the chip and we all know that on a Windows machine would mean it would be safe forever !!!! :)

talk about doing your best to make a big deal out of nothing.....

dont like it? dont use it ! 

take that gem of advice with you everyday and pass it on to your offspring !

• Reply 54 of 64
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

The article stated scar tissue is dead.  No it isn't.

• Reply 55 of 64

...and yet the media said you voted with your feet???

I think I am totally missing your point? Sorry.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This is such an obvious flaw.  It will almost certainly generate huge amounts of user frustration and many complaints.  

The type of person they are intending to use the sensor are those that normally don't use authentication in the first place.  So these folks (and I know them well) will put in a passcode to start using the sensor and then immediately forget what it is.  

At some point they will leave the phone alone for too long and get locked out.  Then the only way back in is to remember that password they put in months or possibly years ago and never had to re-enter.  It's a virtual certainty that they won't remember this passcode, and there won't be anything for it but a trip to the Apple store. 

You're simply inserting your own thoughts of what Touch ID does for reality. Are you an analyst?

Touch ID is used only for accessing Apple's Store. You already need your password for that. Touch ID adds another layer of security on top of the password. It is not meant to replace passwords. So if you can remember your password to use Apple Store pre-Touch, then you should be able to remember it after Touch.

It is most certainly not meant to appeal to people who don't currently use authentication. Those people aren't able to access the Apple Store today, so it shouldn't bother them that they can't access it in the future.

Maybe some day they'll drop the password requirement, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    zkhudson wrote: »
    Touch ID is pretty intriguing, but I have some serious reservations about the accuracy of this scanner and the ability to last at least 2 years (enough time to get a new phone) of usage.

I look forward to seeing what the reviewers say after the phone is released.

I'm sure Apple tested it pretty thoroughly. As for accuracy, most of what I'm reading suggests that when it fails, you're most likely to get a false negative and false positives don't happen often, if at all. That's the way it should be.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Touch ID is used only for accessing Apple's Store. You already need your password for that. Touch ID adds another layer of security on top of the password. It is not meant to replace passwords. So if you can remember your password to use Apple Store pre-Touch, then you should be able to remember it after Touch.

It is most certainly not meant to appeal to people who don't currently use authentication. ...

I could be wrong of course, but as far as what I have read of Apple's promotion materials and seen of how it's being marketed, what you are saying here is completely wrong.  

It is in fact being marketed to people who don't use passwords or haven't used passwords before.  

It is in fact being marketed primarily as a way to unlock the device, not as a way to access the store.  

Hopefully there is language in the tutorial that says something on the order of "use your AppleID password if you have one" but that alone will be confusing for many people and there will be other people who are entering a password into the device for the very first time.  

I deal with this exact issue daily in my work (forcing people who don't normally use a password to use one), so I have a bit of experience with this group of folks. 

• Reply 58 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Couldn't agree more. That was exactly what worried me too when reading this. But Touch ID really shouldn't be a failure for Apple. I hope this tech is better than a fair share here worries it actually will be. I don't know what the success rate of accurate finger print reading must be for it to be a success. My guess is, it must be >95%.

I don't think it ail be a failure per se but it will be problematic to some degree, and like most things Apple does it will have a high profile and be a "first experience" for a lot of folks, and the media and as such will carry the can for all the problems and mistakes that anyone has ever experienced with any kind of fingerprint recognition.  

I can see the word "fingergate" hovering in the distance.  :)

• Reply 59 of 64
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    gazoobee wrote: »

One should be able to override this by simply docking to a host computer ( which would mean at some point a backup to the computer is initially required) and not a trip to Apple.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    In the case of this government it is out to get you.

All I can say is, the entire period from the formation of HS after 9/11 till the election of the current administration I was on the no fly list which was hell, absolute hell. Nothing I could do. They didn't know age, sex, height, weight, ethnicity ... just a name. During that same period I was able to become licensed Realtor in my spare time, and gain American Citizenship. But fly without harassment ...hell no. I was cleared very soon after the election when it seems some level of intelligence was added to the screening process. So I would agree there are some changes. My guess is they started using computers :D