10% bigger battery in iPhone 5s to boost talk, LTE use times by 2 hours

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Define travel.

Airport at 6am Home around midnight. Medium use throughout the day.

Trust me, it's dead by 3. (No lie)

My point is, can we stop doubling speed every year and give us an all day battery life? Similar to what they did with the MacBook Air this year. 

• Reply 22 of 67
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Yet another reason why the iPhone 5 has been retired to pasture quicker than any other iPhone in Apple history.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You don't unless you use a battery case or some other method to recharge the phone. Personally I went with the battery case from BoostCase and it does the trick. Great case for protection and more than double my battery life. Without my boostcase my iPhone would be useless most days by around 5PM. Don't listen to him he doesn't he have an iPhone 5 and just likes to talk smack. 

Thank you sir. Sounds like we are having the same woes. 

• Reply 24 of 67
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Low battery life is either A) a defective phone so get it fixed or B) (and the most common) A lot of "vampire" apps running constantly in the background, location services being a big one of the usual suspects.

That even when in sleep mode is the big clue: you're paying for running all those apps 100% of the time, running code draws power, that's the nature of the game. Look under "Privacy", "Location services" and see all the little arrowheads next to apps you have "on": all those are constantly poking at your cell radio and/or gps radio. Power draws.

Also Bluetooth? Off unless you're using it. Aren't in a 4G or LTE area: turn it off. Same with WiFi radios: off unless you're in a hotspot.

Needing to stream video for eight/twelve hours running? I'd say choose AMTRAK. Gotta love seatside power. image

The biggest battery drain by far is also bad signal strength with only 1 or 2 bars of reception. That will drain the battery faster than anything if your phone is trying to maintain a connection. People also use their phones in many different ways and it is not unreasonable to expect the battery life to last until at least around 7PM with typical use. I simply decided to go with a battery case and it was a great decision for me since I can now get 2 days use if needed. And even with extremely heavy use I am pretty much guaranteed to have battery power left all day until I go to sleep. 

• Reply 25 of 67
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

The biggest battery drain by far is also bad signal strength with only 1 or 2 bars of reception. That will drain the battery faster than anything if your phone is trying to maintain a connection. People also use their phones in many different ways and it is not unreasonable to expect the battery life to last until at least around 7PM with typical use. I simply decided to go with a battery case and it was a great decision for me since I can now get 2 days use if needed. And even with extremely heavy use I am pretty much guaranteed to have battery power left all day until I go to sleep. 

Good point on signal strength: I used to be able to kill some of my old analog cell phones  within maybe an hour or two because I was in the habit of putting them in my (steel) desk drawer while at work. Usage totally varies but an iPhone draining it's battery in sleep mode ("it bleeds battery life even when its in sleep mode") should be solvable. Much like I learned to turn my RAZR's off when I stuck them in a drawer....

• Reply 26 of 67

Don't listen to him he doesn't even have an iPhone 5

How does not owning an iPhone 5 disqualify me from speaking on matters of battery?

I'll answer for you: it doesn't. Go away.

Originally Posted by tmayes86 View Post

Airport at 6am Home around midnight. Medium use throughout the day.

So plug it in on the plane; problem solved.

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Yet another reason why the iPhone 5 has been retired to pasture quicker than any other iPhone in Apple history.

4GB first gen iPhone begs to differ. :p

• Reply 27 of 67

I'm hoping they will announce that they will be taking pre-orders for the 5s after the 5C pre-order goes live.

• Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:

You obviously don't travel much. 99% of planes have NO plugs at all. The few that do have plugs only have them in first class. Trust me, if I could plug it in I would have ZERO issues. 

• Reply 29 of 67
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

His siblings remained so your point is moot. 8-)

• Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:

How does not owning an iPhone 5 disqualify me from speaking on matters of battery?

I'll answer for you: it doesn't. Go away.

Yea it does. In fact not owning an iPhone 5 pretty much means you don't have a clue what actual day to day usage means to battery life. All you can go by is second hand reports. Owning one is pretty much a requirement to give any validity in this discussion. Just like it is obvious you don't travel by plane much either or you wouldn't have offered that idiotic suggestion to "just plug it in" since outlets are few and far in between. 

• Reply 31 of 67

You obviously don't travel much. 99% of planes have NO plugs at all. The few that do have plugs only have them in first class. Trust me, if I could plug it in I would have ZERO issues. 

In a car at any point, then?

• Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:

Most taxi drivers aren't so into that. Trust me, I try to plug it in wherever I can. I am always looking for plugs. The point is, I shouldn't have to. 

• Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:

Oh my God you just can't or refuse to get the point. Sometimes there simply aren't any outlets. Whether it is on a plane, a beach, a mountain or wherever. So stop trying to tell actual iPhone 5 owners to shut up and go away or liars when you don't have a fracking clue what you are even talking about. Your antique 1st gen 4GB iPhone is less capable than even old iPod touches so that hardly comes close to the battery use of an iPhone 5 with LTE that is also activated. 

The iPhone 5 gets very decent battery life but it will not last all day under my usage patterns. Not even close in fact. For me and other people that actually use their iPhones a battery case can at least be a good option. Since the battery part is also detachable it means I only have to use it when needed and the rest of the time it is just a normal protective case. 

Since you have been talking so positively about the new iPhones will this finally be the model you will actually buy so you can retire your antique 1st gen that you don't even use as a phone. Do you even have any cell phone at all?

• Reply 34 of 67

Most taxi drivers aren't so into that.

That really ought to change.

• Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:

I just refuse to give a crap about what you're pretending the point is.

He's right though.... iPhone battery life should be better. Understand that point. It's the truth. They need to stop upping the speed so much and actually extended the battery life a bit.

• Reply 36 of 67

iPhone battery life should be better.

Anything "should" be better. That's not the point here; I'm trying to find you situations where you'd be able to charge more through the day. I'm finding it difficult to believe there's nothing, ever, and finding it difficult to believe that you're putting in a solid eight to ten hours of use on the thing in a single day.

• Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:

Anything "should" be better. That's not the point here; I'm trying to find you situations where you'd be able to charge more through the day. I'm finding it difficult to believe there's nothing, ever, and finding it difficult to believe that you're putting in a solid eight to ten hours of use on the thing in a single day.

Ugh.... so done. Troll on sir... Troll on. 

• Reply 38 of 67

My 4S lasts a couple of days with moderate use, never had issues at all.

• Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

4S and 5 are both really poor for battery life, my old 4 was much better. The biggest benefit for Apple producing a bigger screened iPhone would be so they can fit in a larger battery. Having a phone that can last all day shouldn't be too much to ask.

I would think the biggest benefit of a bigger screen would be...  A bigger screen.

• Reply 40 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaSmith View Post

I know this is kinda off topic of this article, but was wondering how early on the 20th I should be able to order the 5s on Apple's website. If I live in the central time zone, does that mean by 2am when its technically the 20th in California that Apple will start taking orders?

You'll want to pull an all nighter and an all page refresher on the 19th.

It will (almost) surely go on sale 12:01 AM California time on Sept. 20, so 2:01 AM for you.