Citing iPhone 5s yields & iPhone 5c pricing, Jefferies lowers Apple target to $425

Comments

• Reply 101 of 140
    I am, admittedly, analyst speak ignorant. Can someone explain setting a target $40 lower then the current trade price? He was wrong at $450 and thinks more wrong is right? I guess this firm already had a SELL recommendation?
  • Reply 102 of 140
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Can someone explain setting a target $40 lower then the current trade price? 

I believe that analyst's targets are 12 months ahead. So this genius is predicting that AAPL will be at his target price 12 months from now.

• Reply 103 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

This is why I'm no longer in the market. 

So, what's your Plan B? The pillow?

• Reply 104 of 140

This analyst is a fool. I am surprised that anyone pays him any attention.

• Reply 105 of 140
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickFaced View Post

Quick everyone dump your stock! Lets help this market manipulator buy more shares.

Yes, definitely.  just dumped mine at $474 yesterday.  Will buy back at $400 again.  you don't think it'll drop?  just wait and see.  The manipulator will make it just like less than 3 months ago.

• Reply 106 of 140
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    So what will Apple stock do on Monday when they announce "We sold x million iPhones on launch weekend" like they always do?

If they sell 3 million it will drop because it's not enough. If they sell 5 million it will drop because they ran out of stock and have production problems. If they sell 7 million the stock will drop as these represent all the people due for an upgrade and sales will plummet next quarter.

Did I miss any?

Sure. If they sell 200 million, the stock will drop because all those phones will be creating a black hole and destroying the factory. Or something like that.

The analysts don't need to be intelligent or logical. They can say whatever the heck they want.
  • Reply 107 of 140
    drblank wrote: »
    Apple's innovating fast enough, it's just the mfg plants can't produce their innovations fast enough. That's what happens when you innovate.

intel can't innovate fast enough to get their XEON and Thunderbolt 2 chipsets out fast enough for Apple's other innovations. So, who's at fault? Intel? They can't innovate and mfg fast enough.

Or how about TSMC's mfg, can they spit out enough A7 chips fast enough to keep up with Apple's innovation?

God, I am so sick of the word innovation. It's now the most overused word in the industry and it's catching on in other industries.

What about the saying "thinking outside the box"? That was overused and now it's coming back around becoming overused.

How come the media doesn't rip apart the OEM Android IDIOTS that can't keep up with OS updates? NOT ONE SINGLE OEM ANDROID PRODUCT SHIPS WITH 4.3, which is the latest version. What's wrong with these idiots? Can't they INNOVATE?

What's wrong with Android, can't they come out with 64 bit chips in their smartphones? Can't they innovate fast enough?

Spot on about the word innovation. It's twisted into whatever Apple isn't doing at the moment. Bigger screens. NFC. KFC. TV. Glass. Ass. Half- baked cookies. It's a code word for a perpetually morphing target to criticize Apple with. And when Apple finally does what the fandroids want, it's "copying."
  • Reply 108 of 140
    This is one of dumbest posts I've read on AI.

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? Apple doing a search engine???

Have you never read Odo's anti-Timid Cook rants? They're tinfoil hat crazy.
  • Reply 109 of 140
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    apple ][ wrote: »
    christophb wrote: »
    Can someone explain setting a target $40 lower then the current trade price? 

I believe that analyst's targets are 12 months ahead. So this genius is predicting that AAPL will be at his target price 12 months from now.

The price target period just covers up until the point where they decide to change it. Apple's stock value looks like it will settle long-term somewhere between $400-550. Anything above $430 gives them the highest market cap in the world and they don't always make the most profit (revenue is the factor that seems to get used more but it's the same deal) out of all companies in the world. I expect the price will fluctuate in that range every year going forward. Some people will make decent returns by timing it right. If they buy in the low $400s, ride it back up to $500 when Apple reports record results, they get their inflation-beating 25% return. They can do this every year. The stock price can easily fall to $425 or less before Apple's results come out in October. It's only after they put the results out that people know what the sales have been like. If Apple plans to keep buying back shares, they should do it when it's in the low $400s.

I don't think Carl Icahn invested in Apple with the expectation for the stock to go up btw. I think he saw the cash hoard and is trying to find ways to drain it. Right now, his stake in Apple is probably worth less than when he bought it.
  • Reply 110 of 140
    jragosta wrote: »
    To be fair, things are different in other parts of the world. In much of the world, phones are typically not subsidized, so the real prices are $549 vs $649 (for the 5S). And, yes, there are a lot of people who could afford $400, but not $550 - they may have to save up for an entire year or more just to get the $400.

That doesn't mean that Apple should go after that market, but denying the existence of people who really can't afford more doesn't help, either.

Aren't all flagship phones about $649 around the world?

How does a company like Samsung get away with charging $649 for a Galaxy S4 or Galaxy Note?

Is it because Samsung also offers a whole range of phones starting at $80 unlocked?
  • Reply 111 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd

The 4S is an old phone. It will be supported for one iOS upgrade. 7. It's not got the lure of the new.

Now if they sold the 5C at that price - we would be cooking. 

I would imagine it will at LEAST get iOS 8.

It is(will be) shipping with iOS 7. 

And it will be a big seller in emerging markets at only $450, which is conveniently the price analysts were expecting. 

4s... yep... it will go to that $299 level... or lower

Remember a lot of carrier/gov't contracts have 'minimum number of production/replacement years'  My guess is we have at least 2 full years to cover a 4 year iPhone 4 coverage [gotta to have the same formfactor... specifically the cable support]

the 5c... my guess is it will:

• be updated every 6-9  months

• Will incrementally add 5s capabilities

• first A7 Chip/M7 (the May 14 5c)

• Then camera (the October 5c... oh then the 5s upgrades to the 6s... who knows what it is)

• then fingerprint ...which pretty much makes it a 5s... or 6c 

• Only then will the 5c price come down to somewhere near the 4s prices now.

I do think at some point the 'big' phone a (5" diag) will come to the 'c' line first, just because of the manufacturing flexibility (pour a mold... extract, cool done.)  But that will be iOS 9 (after dropping support for the 3.5" non-retina geometries, and the iPad 2 geometry)

The flagship line will be about the superiority... the c class is about choice and competition with the bulk competitors.

(my guess is the iPad mini will morph to plastic... although the usage pattern (holding by an edge) may preclude it.

• Reply 112 of 140
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    These bad yield rumors have sprung up before from different sources about the Touch ID so it's believable. I think Apple was afraid to put iPhone 5S up for pre-order because they will sell out day 1 with a 6-8 week waiting time by day 2. So they opt for the first come first serve model to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Long lines form for the iPhone 5S

Many people hold off buying the 5S for a few weeks until the demand slows giving Apple enough time to fulfill those new orders quickly.
  • Reply 113 of 140

I am sure Jeffries has a ton of Apple Stock he just unloaded on another troll who is selling to another troll!

• Reply 114 of 140

It is disgusting how much Apple is making in profit for a 16GB to 32GB to 64GB...It only cost them $10 more to get a 32 GB and then another $10 for the 64GB...That is a joke.  They know how to market and make $$$

• Reply 115 of 140

5s: Demand outpacing supply of iPhones on launch weekend is nothing new.  As long as supply ramps up in the Oct-Dec quarter, it'll be another resounding success.

5c: Don't expect the 5c to exhibit the same problems with supply/demand since it's really not a new phone.

*demand is moderate other than new markets (e.g. Docomo, new geographic areas, etc.).  Don't get me wrong, demand is massive, but distributed across many months rather than the launch weekend.

*supply chain is already efficient from day 1

It's actually an amazing thing watching Apple ready 10s of millions of iPhones for these 2 weekends of launch.  You can bet on some supply chain hiccups along the way.

• Reply 116 of 140
    HA HA H AH AH AH A HA HA HA H AH AH!

BA HA HA!

This is so GD funny. That stupid Tim Cook. As long as AAPL issues their dividend, the stock will trade sideways (at best). Mark my words.

HA HA H AH AH AH A HA HA HA H AH AH!

BA HA HA!
  • Reply 117 of 140
    Originally Posted by Potsie Webber View Post

This is so GD funny. That stupid Tim Cook. As long as AAPL issues their dividend, the stock will trade sideways (at best). Mark my words.

Seems you misspelled your username at signup. "Patsy" has an 'a'.

• Reply 118 of 140
    I would ask how all these analysts are going to keep their jobs when Apple reports yet another year of record breaking iPhone sales, but we've seen this show before, and we all know how it's going to end.
  • Reply 119 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by willizen View Post

I would ask how all these analysts are going to keep their jobs when Apple reports yet another year of record breaking iPhone sales, but we've seen this show before, and we all know how it's going to end.

"past performance is no guarantee of future results"  

If you can predict the future that reliably I'm sure you are a very rich man.

• Reply 120 of 140
    willizen wrote: »

Apple will make crazy profits... but the stock price won't rise.

That's the disconnect.

Then again... why does Apple need to be on the stock market nowadays?