Microsoft continues its attack on Apple with new ads panning iPhone 5c & 5s colors [u]

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 183
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    If so, anyone 'know' or able to guestimate what the impact will be to Google, financially?
    Besides saving a $Billion or two shared with Apple? By 2015 Google's mobile ad revenues have been projected at around 10% of Google gross revenues. Assuming about half of that comes via iOS and some significant part of that could flow Microsoft's way, yeah it could negatively affect them. I think Google would still hold a good part of it anyway thru their iOS services like YouTube and browsers like Chrome and Firefox as well as maintaining their overall market lead in mobile ad share.

10% in 2015 on mobile ads. So that is not really a big part of their overall income and wouldn't matter that much if Apple indeed defaulted search to Bing in iOS7. Since it's not released yet, we don't know.

I don't use Chrome, nor FF and never go to YT myself. I wonder who, apart from us techies at AI, are in the same boat. I presumed mobile ad revenue would be larger than 10%, but apparently they have many more sources of income. Which is a good thing, you wouldn't want to be relying on a single product. Supposedly Apple generates 50% revenue from the iPhone alone, which might be the reason for Wall Street to value the stock as it is.
  • Reply 182 of 183
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeejucm View Post

This is complete idiocy. Microsoft has an innovation problem, which is getting exposed now. They are literally failed in all aspect of modern technological advance and has become the greatest underdog of the current century. Instead of addressing their innovation crisis they are simply trying to mock Apple which will only get backfire with a vengeance.

Yes, they have been floundering, but they are still big, rich, with a large installed base and have competent staff. All they need (imho) is the right CEO and they could become very dangerous again very quickly. And a change of CEO has already gone in to motion.

• Reply 183 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Except I didn't.

Seems tribalogical didn't (which was my point). He wrote, "Most people used MS/Windows because "everyone else did" and it was "the standard".

Yes, I guess  your point was to focus on the one thing you thought I misspoke about, while ignoring my point altogether… right? It was my point he said you missed. Get that?

And ooh, using that bold and italics for emphasis is fun!

My point was, that in that far flung past, Apple did take aim at a certain "class" of user. Pretty simple really.

I was also alluding to the modern auto-association between MS/Windows and PC… not many people see "PC" and think "IBM" anymore…  Likewise, if I casually mention "Beatles" to a younger crowd, I typically hear "Who's that??" If the topic is pop music, I'll generalize more so I can be understood. I was generalizing about the past, not so much about the specific year.

It's cool that you are historically knowledgable. I wasn't being as accurate as I could have. I probably should have written "PC" again, instead of referring to the familiar association, as in "…most people used PCs because "everyone else did" and it was the "standard".  

So yeah, back to the original point… any comment, or do you just want to talk more about my seeming errors?