Apple to commence iPhone 5s advance reservations in China on Sept. 17th

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While most of the world will have to wait in line to purchase an iPhone 5s on launch day, consumers in Hong Kong and mainland China can take advantage of an advance reservations system beginning Sept. 17.

The reservations scheme was first used by Apple following the iPhone 4's Chinese launch in an effort to control crowds at the company's retail stores and curb the burgeoning gray market resale industry, in which scalpers take advantage of launch scarcity to resell devices for significant premiums. The system has been deployed for every major Apple product launch since, including the iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, and iPhone 5.

Although the system ? in which customers choose their device, provide identification information, and then complete the purchase in-store at a designated time ? is not new, its use for the iPhone 5s launch is noteworthy for another reason: with preorders for Apple's flagship smartphone a non-starter anywhere else in the world due to suspected constraints on initial inventory, China is the only place consumers can ensure they receive a device on launch day.

Those wishing to reserve an iPhone 5s in mainland China or Hong Kong can do so via Apple's online store beginning Sept. 17, with pick-ups commencing at 8 a.m. local time on Sept. 20.

Apple is expected to move up to 35 million more iPhones in 2014 due to new carrier partnerships in Asia, with a significant percentage of those additional sales generated in China thanks to Apple's anticipated partnership with China Mobile. The state-owned wireless carrier is the largest in the world, with more than 740 million subscribers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Cool. Hope they can bring it to the US.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Do I understand this correctly, the USA has to wait behind the Chinese? Apple, this is not fair. So China will buy up all the inventory and we in the good ole USA will wait behind the Chinese and get our 5s iPhones in a month or more? Time to sell my Apple Stock!
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rhbellmor View Post

Do I understand this correctly, the USA has to wait behind the Chinese? Apple, this is not fair. So China will buy up all the inventory and we in the good ole USA will wait behind the Chinese and get our 5s iPhones in a month or more? Time to sell my Apple Stock!

2nd post?

• Reply 4 of 40
    This is so funny. All of the analyst believe that Apple can't sell 5C in China because of the price.

What does Apple do? But sell the 5S [B]first[/B] and prove them ALL wrong!!!
  • Reply 5 of 40

Apple obviously knows something that we don't. I think they are betting huge with 5C and 5S in the Chinese market!

• Reply 6 of 40
    I guess Apple thinks it knows where its bread is 'going to be' buttered.

Which sort of segways to this:

http://www.longlongtimeago.com/llta_fables_monkeycroc.html
  • Reply 7 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Cool. Hope they can bring it to the US.

I doubt it. This was obviously implemented because of the huge problem with those Chinese scalpers.

The Chinese scalpers are annoying enough in the USA (I still get mad when thinking about me standing in line for the iPad 2 launch, and those scumbag scalpers), but the problem is apparently far worse in China.

• Reply 8 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

What does Apple do? But sell the 5S first and prove them ALL wrong!!!

Not quite, Chinese people have already started pre-ordering their 5c's.

Both the 5c and 5s will be available on the same day, 9/20, in China.

• Reply 9 of 40
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

NSIS

I think it's because they have had issues with rioting at iPhone launches in the past in China. This way they can control access to the stores.

• Reply 10 of 40
    There is well over 100 million new smart phone customers for either the 5c or 5s in China alone, never mind India and Japan.

Apple has all the information months ago for this demand.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I think China reservations for the 5S before anybody else it seems, is symbolic for Apple of the importance of the Chinese market. Also the 5S is Apple's most expensive iPhone, so the amount of initial orders from China won't be high enough to cause delays in launching the 5S elsewhere in the world, as it would say - in the States where more people can afford this premium model...maybe? Or it might just be to avoid scalping after all.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rhbellmor View Post

LOL do you even have apple stock you short seller.

I love this move as I hate all those scalpers and ppl waiting in line/store will be true users.

• Reply 13 of 40
    Slightly off topic but related: anyone know what's become of all those people who were waiting in line outside the 5th Ave store in NYC days before the event on the 10th? Have they gone home yet? Or are some of them really waiting till the 20th...
  • Reply 14 of 40

I agree they have people standing in line with all cash buying them up ! last time i waited in line on the fifth ave store in manhattan and apple employees said they were all sold out and I complained about them buying them all up and they said it was nothing they can do about it and I said i'm in contract and I can't get a phone is ridicules So they pulled me aside and said to come back when they call me ! and they did.  

• Reply 15 of 40
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    I guess Apple thinks it knows where its bread is 'going to be' buttered.

Which sort of segways to this:

http://www.longlongtimeago.com/llta_fables_monkeycroc.html

I think you mean segues .... :D
  • Reply 16 of 40
    This is so funny. All of the analyst believe that Apple can't sell 5C in China because of the price.

What does Apple do? But sell the 5S first and prove them ALL wrong!!!

That is what they should have done here. And had a similar reservation system.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    There is well over 100 million new smart phone customers for either the 5c or 5s in China alone, never mind India and Japan.

Apple has all the information months ago for this demand.

I prefer to make ignorant assumptions about foreign markets from the hubris and convenience of my sofa. /s
  • Reply 18 of 40
    rhbellmor wrote: »
    /s

Plus I believe the China phones will be completely different SKUs.
    1983 wrote: »
    I think China reservations for the 5S before anybody else it seems, is symbolic for Apple of the importance of the Chinese market.
    Bingo.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    China?! Hey thanks, Tim. Way to show how much you value consumers in your own country.
  • Reply 20 of 40

I am concerned, to be honest.

Almost 20h after the pre-orders opened, the iPhone 5C -- in all five colors, for all carriers, and in all memory options -- is still available for delivery on 09/20!?

Has this ever happened before? Can this be right?

Don't they usually sell out in less than one hour? 

I worry....

In any case, long live Apple! Down with Microsoft! Down with Google!

~Sluffs~