Inside Apple's iPhone 5c: 'c' is for 'colors'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    Originally Posted by GarryM View Post

Are the front facing cameras in the 5s and 5c not the same? Is this not the same as what is currently in the iPhone5?

5C is 5 with 5S' front camera and battery capacity.

• Reply 42 of 108
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    frood wrote: »

Just to make sure I have it right....
    Polycarbonate cases on iPhones are superficial.
    Plastic cases on Android phones are cheap.

I meant the change from the 5's aluminum case to the 5C. But yes, Apple takes time to develop a high quality plastic case, Android vendors just slap some plastic together for its case.
    Plastic
    Larger
    Heavier
    no 64GB option
    Loses the HUGE selection of iPhone 5 cases (that will also fit the 5s)
    and as stated by mstone, the 5s has a large number of significant improvements that make the $100 discount a poor value. If it was $150-200 cheaper, then it would be worth honestly considering.

The only thing of worse value is the 8GB 4S that still costs $450.

You mean case vendors stopped making cases and won't make them ever again for anything but the iPhone 5? I'll bet you there'd be more cases for the 5C than there are for the GS4 or GS5 within six months of each respective release.

Get a 5s for the 64 GB. The 5C isn't for that market.

Is it larger/heavier by a significant margin? You probably won't know the difference if you held the 5 and 5C blindfolded.
    saarek wrote: »
    $100 less than the iPhone 5, I concur. Cheaper than the iPhone 5 to manufacture? Almost certainly.

Making more than they would have done had they kept the iPhone 5 instead as with the previous refreshes? Once again almost certainly.

Rather than maintain their very high margins they've decided to increase them.

The iPhone 5S is a great deal, the 5C should be priced less, they are simply price gouging their customers.

Don't want to be "gouged" don't buy it. People who buy it willingly aren't being gouged.
  • Reply 43 of 108
    macdevil wrote: »
    It really rubs me the wrong way when people describe the iPhone 5C as a "new" phone. IT'S NOT!!! It has the exact same internals as an iPhone 5 (with the exception of a slightly larger battery and slightly better front camera). All they did was put it into a plastic case instead of a metal case. The price is exactly the same as the 5 would have been had Apple continued to offer it. The only difference is now Apple will definitely be making more money per handset since the casing material (and likely the manufacturing process) is much cheaper. The consumer gets a phone that does exactly nothing better than the iPhone 5 did at the same price. As one of the earlier commenters said, C stands for "CHEAP." It's not cheap in the sense that it costs less, it's cheap in that Apple is giving you a worse phone for the same price you would have paid for the iPhone 5.
    I guess you think the S4 is a new phone because they made it bigger. The design of the 5c required a completly different engineered case and substructure. Even the antenna system is new.
  • Reply 44 of 108
    saarek wrote: »
    $100 less than the iPhone 5, I concur. Cheaper than the iPhone 5 to manufacture? Almost certainly.

Making more than they would have done had they kept the iPhone 5 instead as with the previous refreshes? Once again almost certainly.

Rather than maintain their very high margins they've decided to increase them.

The iPhone 5S is a great deal, the 5C should be priced less, they are simply price gouging their customers.
    . You speak like you know, so you should know Apple the 5 actually decreased their margins, the 5s will cost even more. the 5c will allow for balance.
  • Reply 45 of 108
    tzbtzb Posts: 19member

I was really hoping the 5C was going to be priced starting at $450 off-contract / $0 on-contract.  Instead we have the same "popcorn at the show" pricing model as always, with the 5S standing as a much better value at only a $100 price difference.  I guess that is the plan though.

In terms of physical design, I think the 5C is fantastic.  However, I am not liking the cases.  Holes in the back look silly IMO, and are going to collect so much lint and debris in the pocket.

• Reply 46 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Then you also "don't quite get" the ridiculous runaway success of Apple's iPhone business for the last several years.

I'll keep your post handy for later use.

• Reply 47 of 108
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'll keep your post handy for later use.

Please do. And to be even more specific, I'll rephrase it as: You obviously don't quite get that Apple has kept last year's and two years previous' iPhone in the lineup at the same working price points since at least the iPhone 4 launch. It works. Very well. This year, its even better, since the 5C is every bit a 5, but better...In several ways. And in one big meaningful way...colors. This is a massive, undeniable selling point. Like it or not. Believe it or not. It is.

You also obviously don't understand the significance of how many iPhone 4S Apple sold in the last 12 months. Going forward over the next 12 months, the same market that applied to that price point will be looking at the iPhone 5C as their choice. Massive upgrade to market segment, iPhone 4S > to > iPhone 5C.

So, all of your comments relating to the price point are unimaginative at best and flat out ignoring reality at worst.

• Reply 48 of 108
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I personally think the expected scenario of old iPhone $100 off last year's price might have been showing signs of fatigue in light of a maturing saturation in the smartphone industry. Apple probably wanted to shake up the market and decided to give the second tier some new fashion color accents. Some like it, some don't. It is probably just a matter of perspective. Glass half empty, glass half full, but I'm pretty sure in Apple's case it will be cup runneth over.

• Reply 49 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    iPhone 5c is for "Cheap". Its supposed to be ironic since its actually very expensive being only $100 less than the significantly better iPhone 5s and a major downgrade from the iPhone5.

Major downgrade fromt the iPhone 5? In what way? Please be specific.
    macdevil wrote: »
    It really rubs me the wrong way when people describe the iPhone 5C as a "new" phone. IT'S NOT!!! It has the exact same internals as an iPhone 5 (with the exception of a slightly larger battery and slightly better front camera). .

And there you have the Fandroid iHater philosophy come full circle.

The iPhone 4S was not a new phone because it used the same case as the 4 - even though every internal was different.

The iPhone 5C is not a new phone because it uses all the same internals (with a few upgrades) but a new case.

So what is it that makes a phone new? It's not the internals and it's not the case. /s
  • Reply 50 of 108
    castcore wrote: »
    5C is targeted not for China but the younger 10-18 crowd and people who  are not tech geeks but simply like the colors. I read Burberry already using the 5C for some of it's runway show.

Well, let's hope it does well... Like some others I think it's a 'relatively' poor value when compared to the 5s( or the 5s is a great value when compared to the 5c).
    Just an aside...the movie Logan's Run was on TV the other night and except for the Sandmen who wore Black... Everyone was wearing the colors of the 5c! Yellow, pink, neon green etc. Hmmm, what does Sir Jony know?
  • Reply 51 of 108
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

I love this new colourful iPhone! It's just so cool!

If only Apple had made it from Aluminum, like what they did with ipod touch :( Probably will change my iPhone 4 for 5S

Anyway, anyone knows how many 5C have been pre-ordered so far?

• Reply 52 of 108
    Neil Hughes, the color is PINK, not red. Its sort of a salmon-pink, but still definitely pink. Apple lists it as 'Pink'.

Apple could not keep the iPhone 5 and have their new flagship phone (iPhone 5S) look nearly identical to the previous model. This is a great way to differentiate, and they will sell a bloody million of them! I love the green one and the yellow one.
  • Reply 53 of 108
    Originally Posted by Neal Douglas View Post

Apple could not keep the iPhone 5 and have their new flagship phone (iPhone 5S) look nearly identical to the previous model.

Of course they could. They’ve done it twice times before. This wouldn’t have been any different.

• Reply 54 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The "C" stood for "cheap" only in the minds of the analysts who imagined that Apple would go for the cheapskate market, which apparently you are part of.

Exactly. Analysts, most of whom have little or no experience in marketing or product management, dare to dictate product roadmaps for Apple and others. It'd be funny if their oft-wrong predictions are stock market drivers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

By the way, the YELLOW 5c is turning out to be the most common color being pre-ordered. I'd never have guessed that!

Are we sure? That sounds like speculation based on availability. It could be that they made fewer yellow ones than others.

• Reply 55 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by helia View Post

I love this new colourful iPhone! It's just so cool!

If only Apple had made it from Aluminum, like what they did with ipod touch :( Probably will change my iPhone 4 for 5S

Anyway, anyone knows how many 5C have been pre-ordered so far?

No one knows until Apple releases numbers. Any number you hear/read would be pure speculation.

• Reply 56 of 108

Seems that 16GB Pink and Blue are sold out too..

Available to ship: by 9/25

• Reply 57 of 108
    Quote:

Of course they could. They’ve done it twice times before. This wouldn’t have been any different.

True.

What I should have said is they could not create tiered product offerings and keep the iPhone 5 design. Apple has done this multiple times in the past - create the top tier (premium) product, then start differentiating with models that fill in each level of the tier, from most expensive to least expensive. Happened with Mac, iPod, and now iPhone. I would not be surprised to eventually see another tier in the iPhone line that reaches down into that sub $500 price category.

• Reply 58 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Please do. And to be even more specific, I'll rephrase it as: You obviously don't quite get that Apple has kept last year's and two years previous' iPhone in the lineup at the same working price points since at least the iPhone 4 launch. It works. Very well. This year, its even better, since the 5C is every bit a 5, but better...In several ways. And in one big meaningful way...colors. This is a massive, undeniable selling point. Like it or not. Believe it or not. It is.

You also obviously don't understand the significance of how many iPhone 4S Apple sold in the last 12 months. Going forward over the next 12 months, the same market that applied to that price point will be looking at the iPhone 5C as their choice. Massive upgrade to market segment, iPhone 4S > to > iPhone 5C.

So, all of your comments relating to the price point are unimaginative at best and flat out ignoring reality at worst.

I'll keep this post handy as well.

[you've forgotten one thing... actually, one big thing. Apple didn't do the same thing this year as last year... or the year before... or the year before... or... well, you get it.

It's a different positioning. New product. No matter how you spin it, it aint the 5. It's an unknown. It's new.

... but, please, keep pretending you are brilliant. It's amusing]

• Reply 59 of 108
    acatomic wrote: »
    So, next year the iPhone 5S will become plastic, but what designation will it get? iPhone 6C, or something else?

I know, I know it's too soon.... :)
    Totally valid question, kind of consfusing thinking about that if the template is a number with a letter ... so, lets just leave it to apple shall we? In other words, it's not too soon, but you're just wasting everyone's time, BOOM, IN YO FACE!

(Ha kidding)
  • Reply 60 of 108

My daughter is already asking for an iPhone 5C, and she has a brand spanking new iPhone 5 from a few months ago. She showed no interest in the 5S model.