Lack of iPhone 5c presale announcement causes worry among Apple investors

Comments

• Reply 81 of 223
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jragosta wrote: »
    That might be true - if they were making money on the iTunes sales. At one time, they indicated that iTunes was essentially break-even. I suspect that they're making money now due to the greater volume, but it's nowhere near as profitable as the hardware sales.

Apple started breaking out it's iTunes, Software and Services revenue back in January this year. It's not a tiny number either, beating out the income from iPod sales.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/28/apple-now-collecting-twice-as-much-from-itunes-software-services-as-from-ipod-sales
  • Reply 82 of 223
    patpatpat wrote: »
    We're talking specifically pre-order announcements here. Apple have done it every year for the 4, 4S and 5. This year they didn't which is reason enough for investors to get concerned.

There is no preorder for 5s, so there would be no "yearly pre-order" press announcement that included the 5s. Only the 5C is available pre-order and Apple already have those numbers. 

Is the 5C a new phone? A lot of posters here say no, it is an old phone with a new case and therefore apple won't release numbers for an old phone. That excuse doesn't fly in my book.

Again Apple has two new phones. Announcing numbers for just one phone model will give info to its competitors. Apple will announce the first weekend numbers for the combined 5C/S.
  • Reply 83 of 223
    You seem to have changed your tune.
    Tune is the same.. But i do stand corrected on pre sale announcements when there was just a single new phone..
    There are two new phones this year..
    Read post above and u will catch my tune!
  • Reply 84 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

I fully disagree.. The 5c is a new phone... It may share specs with the 5. But from apples point of view ., and form factor , style and material it is a new phone.

Yes i stand corrected on presale numbers.. But in those years there was only one new phone announced.

This year is different due to two new phones announced. .. Apple will not confuse everyone by putting out mismatched info.. Prelaunch numbers for 5c... No such number for 5s and then two separate post launch numbers for 5s and 5c.

They will put out one clean number for new iphone sales after the weekend of 20th.

In the same tradition of the quarterly reports!

Confuse who? Everyone I know is acutely aware of the differences between 5C and 5s. That reasoning just doesn't fly.

• Reply 85 of 223
    Believe me if Apple had something to shout about they would have already done it. Possibly when 5C and 5s sales are combined some record will be broken and an announcement will be made but the reason for no announcement on the 5C is obvious.
    It is obvious to u.. Not me.
    I think it would have been a mistake to announce individual model numbers... There is a reason why their quarterly reports are not model specific!
  • Reply 86 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Granted you can make good margins on a cheaper product. However if you make 50% margins on a phone costing £100 to make you have made £50 profit. If you make 50% margins on a phone that cost £300 to make you have made £150 profit. Therefore you would have to sell 3 times the number of the cheaper phone to make the same profit.

That is like saying Apple should only sell one notebook, the top end BTO rMBP as that provides the most revenue.

Whilst you would have to sell 3 times the number in your example you also have to consider that the person who was willing to spend £100 on a phone probably isn't willing to spend £300, so you are increasing your revenues by attracting new customers which were priced out of the iPhone. The trick is to provide enough differentiation between the models so the people who were willing to spend £300 still do and don't drop down to the lower model.

• Reply 87 of 223
    Quote:

It is obvious to u.. Not me.

I think it would have been a mistake to announce individual model numbers... There is a reason why their quarterly reports are not model specific!

Again, we're discussing "pre-order" reports here. Nothing whatsoever to do with quarterly reports, you seem to be "confused" by the topic of discussion. If Apple had 5Million 5C pre-orders, you don't think they'd be shouting it from the tree-tops?

• Reply 88 of 223
    Confuse who? Everyone I know is acutely aware of the differences between 5C and 5s. That reasoning just doesn't fly.
    Confuse the market in a sense of putting out numbers that are not consistent..
    Read my post again.
  • Reply 89 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple started breaking out it's iTunes, Software and Services revenue back in January this year. It's not a tiny number either, beating out the income from iPod sales.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/28/apple-now-collecting-twice-as-much-from-itunes-software-services-as-from-ipod-sales

That's an interesting read. Thanks!

• Reply 90 of 223
    Quote:

Confuse the market in a sense of putting out numbers that are not consistent..

Read my post again.

From what I gather from everyone on here, the market is already confused when it comes to Apple value. In any case they already confused the market by bucking the trend and not releasing "pre-order" numbers.

• Reply 91 of 223

Are there really Apple investors who are worried?   Or is it really speculators, analysts and the press who are just foaming at the mouth?

AppleInsider has gotten so full of  this crap I almost don't visit here anymore.   This used to be a decent website.  

• Reply 92 of 223

I believe the is no announcement since there was no pent up demand compared to the past. These are phones which as people come out of contract will buy.  The think the pre-order this time was more to allow them to judge the production capacity they will have to handle. It has been said a number of time, the smart phone market is near saturation and especially for apple they taken all the high end business and the middle tier customers will not run out and replace their phone until their contract if up and they can get the phone cheap.

We are playing in a different market than we were in the past 5 yrs.

• Reply 93 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Well when most investors listen to these clueless, manipulative analysts... Why people would trust strangers with their financial futures is beyond me.

You mean the analysts who have all the inside information?  The analysts whose job security depends on being more right than wrong in their expectations in spite of having no control over the price of stocks?  They're definitely just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

• Reply 94 of 223
    Again, we're discussing "pre-order" reports here. Nothing whatsoever to do with quarterly reports, you seem to be "confused" by the topic of discussion. If Apple had 5Million 5C pre-orders, you don't think they'd be shouting it from the tree-tops?
    The reason is apple does not like to give too much detail in their phone sales breakdown. As it is evident in their quarterly reports...
    This year id unprecedented because there are two new phones!
    Spple is not going to reveal their hand to the market and rivals .. By breaking down model specific numbers.
    They will release one combined iPhone sales number after the launch weekend.
    They wont report this inconsistent mess of numbers:
    5c pre launch, . 5s. Of sorry we don't have such numbers., 5c post launch.. ( oh but sorry there was pre launch numbers that effect this numbers) and 5s post launch.( but don't compare to 5c please.. Because 5s did not have pre launch)..
    They will keep it simple and announce one number after the launch weekend !
  • Reply 95 of 223
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    It appears to me that Wall Street suffers from cognitive dissonance when it comes to Apple. They wanted a cheap iPhone, but if they actually got a cheap iPhone they would instantly switch gears to fears about declining margins. You can't have cheap AND margins at the same time but Wall Street thinks Apple should. Market share is the be-all end-all requirement but when profit falls alarm bells go off. Apple makes the majority of the profit in mobile market but that doesn't count apparently. This two-faced approach by Wall Street almost guarantees AAPL will suffer no matter what Apple does, sells, or profits.

And as Apple fans why do we care about the stock price or market share anyway? I'll tell you why. Because the iHaters use these metrics to "prove" Apple is doomed and we react to that nonsense. We have so much emotional investment in Apple that we can't stand to hear the naysayers taunting us.

That needs to change.

Agreed. The naysayers will never understand Apple's modus operandi. It's always been about the great products not the statistics.
  • Reply 96 of 223
    Just call the 5c a "hobby" and get on with it!
  • Reply 97 of 223
    From what I gather from everyone on here, the market is already confused when it comes to Apple value. In any case they already confused the market by bucking the trend and not releasing "pre-order" numbers.
    Market has confused it self through typical impatience.
    They will announce number after launch weekend !
  • Reply 98 of 223

We'll see.

But at £465.  It's nearly £500 for last year's phone in plastic.  Audacious.  Hubris.  Greedy.  

Short sighted.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 99 of 223

As for the share price.  *shrugs.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 100 of 223
    adonissmu wrote: »
    I want to see the phones in person before I purchase them. 

That's very un-Apple-like. :lol: