Lack of iPhone 5c presale announcement causes worry among Apple investors

Comments

• Reply 141 of 223
    evilution wrote: »
    No numbers will make the analysts happy. Either it won't be enough and Apple won't be meeting their expected targets or they'll sell too many and Apple will be saturating the market which will affect profits in the future.

A wise man says nothing, Apple should never have started telling these people any info.

This. I sense a change in Apple's comms; a reversion may be more accurate. From the 64-bit master stroke to the lack of preorder, Apple are getting their ****-you back.

Apple can, should and is operating its business exactly and entirely the way it sees fit, it's shithead analysts that are causing the stock to fall, analysts and "experts" who couldn't run a bath never mind the world's most successful company.

Means bugger all to me. Long on Apple.
  • Reply 142 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

This is not a good situation for Apple which ever way you look at it. There's a problem with the 5C, its a great phone but with the much more sophisticated 5S going for only a 100 bucks more, people who are in the market for an iPhone upgrade see the relatively small price difference, and are holding out for it instead, and I'm one of those people.

Before the official announcements it was looking like I was going to go for the 5C, to purchase off-contract for the $400-450 price tag I was expecting, then it came out at $550 and I decided to go for the more upmarket 5S with a contract instead. I'm sorry but the 5C is priced too high.

Not a good situation for Apple? They got your money didn't they? Whether it is a 5C or a 5S, they got your money so they are probably just fine with how it's turning out.

Almost all of Apple's products you can get a better version if you spend a little bit more money. For someone people, saving the money and getting the entry level is enough.

• Reply 143 of 223
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    asdasd wrote: »
    I just think this is bad management by Cook. Again. He seems to lack the ability to put fires under people's asses. If the 5C isn't selling the 5S may not sell. My feeling is people who can afford a 5C can afford a 5S. So they wait.

They wait.
    Put fires under whose asses? The biggest problem with the 5C is many people think its too expensive. Pricing sits squarely in Cook's lap.
  • Reply 144 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

This that poster ...

The poster says apple does not like to breakdown sales by models.

>> You actually said Apple does not release pre-sales numbers, ever. And I showed you very specific examples where Apple has done exactly that, at which you changed to "in quaterly reports blah blah"

The poster says this is an unprecedented year with two new models.

>> In an attempt to make yourself sound credible again. They are 2 very distinct models, no-one is going to be confused if apple publishes results for both. You use this argument to skirt around the possibility that the reason no 5C pre-sale numbers were releases is because they may not be good at all.

The poster says.. One model has pre launch pre orders.. One does not.

>> Exactly my point, what is yours. This thread is specifically about pre-orders.

The poster says... If apple chose to put out numbers for both models they would be confusing and inconsistant with one another.

>> 2M 5C sold 5M 5s sold, what's confusing about that. Beats me.

The poster says apple will not show their to hand to rivals by breaking down model sale numbers as it is evident in their quarterly reports.

>> There are 3rd party bodies that break down iPhone sales nicely without Apples help. Historically they announce NMillion model specific sales in first week, is this information not equally as interesting to rivals?

The poster says .. Apple will put out one number for total new iphone sales after the launch weekend.

>>> Which you seem to indicate will include 4S. I say no. If there is a unified number it will be 5C and 5s

I hope this clarifies what the poster said !

>> Clear as mud!

• Reply 145 of 223
    This. I sense a change in Apple's comms; a reversion may be more accurate. From the 64-bit master stroke to the lack of preorder, Apple are getting their ****-you back.

Apple can, should and is operating its business exactly and entirely the way it sees fit, it's shithead analysts that are causing the stock to fall, analysts and "experts" who couldn't run a bath never mind the world's most successful company.

Means bugger all to me. Long on Apple.
    Stock is down over $55 since last Tuesday. There is no good way to spin that. And honestly I will not be surprised to see a price drop on the 5C yet this year. $550 off contract is too expensive for a lot of people this phone might otherwise attract.
  • Reply 146 of 223
    Perhaps you need to clarify what you have said, because you change your position from post to post. Perhaps you should rename yourself Dodjimbo ;)
    Cute!
    But my position has been just one...
    Apple will announce one number for all new iphone sales after launch weekend.
    ( i already stood corrected on the pre launch in the past.. And explained why this year is different due to two new phones . One with presales one without)
    I have a feeling u guys dont read carefully.., and just like to rant when challanged!
  • Reply 147 of 223
    patpatpat wrote: »
    you have some serious comprehension problems friend.... It is almost funny !
  • Reply 148 of 223
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    asdasd wrote: »
    I just think this is bad management by Cook. Again. He seems to lack the ability to put fires under people's asses. If the 5C isn't selling the 5S may not sell. My feeling is people who can afford a 5C can afford a 5S. So they wait.

They wait.

Not this again. You could say the same thing the previous years. Those who could afford the 4S could get the 5, those who could afford the 4 could get the 4S. And yet each time the flagship breaks records and the combined product line sells tens of millions.
  • Reply 149 of 223
    Quote:

Common sense fails you yet again.

• Reply 150 of 223
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Speaking of announcements Apple is rumored (BGR) to have scheduled it's iPad event for October 15th.

http://www.macg.co/news/voir/261224/des-stocks-d-imac-au-plus-bas-et-un-special-event-le-15-octobre

Nice, I need both ipads and an imac.  The nexus 5 should launch around that date too, so new phone too.

• Reply 151 of 223
    What does " i stand corrected mean to you" or my bad is all u can comprehend!
    As i said.. Follow all my posts and u will see the picture...... Read before u rant !
  • Reply 152 of 223
    As i wrote before.
    Whatever floats your boat !
  • Reply 153 of 223
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

This is not a good situation for Apple which ever way you look at it. There's a problem with the 5C, its a great phone but with the much more sophisticated 5S going for only a 100 bucks more, people who are in the market for an iPhone upgrade see the relatively small price difference, and are holding out for it instead, and I'm one of those people.

Before the official announcements I was looking to go for the 5C off-contract for the $400-450 price tag I was expecting, then it came out at $550 and I decided to go with the more upmarket 5S with a contract instead. I'm sorry but the 5C is priced too high.

$100 is $100 (i.e., not nothing).  Consider someone (like my wife) who has a iPhone 4 and is ready to upgrade.  She can spend $100 and get a cool new 5c.  Or she can pay twice as much to either double the storage or double the speed and get a fingerprint thing.  For her, the answer was easy.  $299 for a 32GB 5s is lot of money for a phone.  And she likes blue.

On the other hand I can "justify" getting the 5s because I develop apps and need to make sure they work on both models ;-)

Apple is going to sell plenty of all the new models.  I just hope supply isn't too constrained for the 5c.

• Reply 154 of 223
    Apple is a company which keeps the investors completely in the dark. For the way Apple runs its business, it should not be public at all. And given all this, it is not that there is a lot of secrecy when it comes to their product launches.. There are tons of leaks..
    When was the last time Apple really surprised you with a secret product? Not in the last 4 to 5 years atleast..
  • Reply 155 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Why give the competitors the product split between the C and S?

Announcing 5C preorders and combined 5C + 5s first week sales doesn't necessarily indicate actual product split at end of first week. In any case the number after the first week has always been announced. It has little bearing on the quarterly combined iPhone sales number and is more an indication of pent up demand.

For example, last year 2M Ip5 sold in first week does not tell you anything about how many sold over the following quarter. 

Believe me if Apple had of had 5M 5C pre-orders we would know about it.

• Reply 156 of 223
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 512ke View PostWhat do the whiny babies of the stock market want, for BOTH the 5c AND the 5s to shatter all previous iPhone sales records in the first 24 hours?

They want EPS growth, and they do not have faith it will happen so the stock is going down. That being said that doesn mean Apple wont have EPS growth, its just that right now with what we know it doesnt look good. Maybe the sales will be better than expected or maybe Apple still has more products to launch to address the issue.

• Reply 157 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They wait.

What is exactly "bad management by Cook", and whose trousers does he have to set fire to???

• Reply 158 of 223
    jungmark wrote: »
    Not this again. You could say the same thing the previous years. Those who could afford the 4S could get the 5, those who could afford the 4 could get the 4S. And yet each time the flagship breaks records and the combined product line sells tens of millions.
    Difference is the 4 and 4S weren't being advertised as new phones. If Apple had priced the 5C at $400 or even $450 off contract they could probably still make a decent margin and expand to a wider audience. The high end of the market probably isn't interested in a colored plastic phone anyway, Even John Gruber, who wasn't expecting a cheap phone, didnt expect Apple to price it at $550. It pisses me off because I don't want to see people buy a Moto X or Lumia whatever. I want to see them buy an iPhone. Apple could have offered the 5C at a cheaper price without getting into a race to the bottom.
  • Reply 159 of 223
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

As i wrote before.

Whatever floats your boat !

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

What does " i stand corrected mean to you" or my bad is all u can comprehend!

As i said.. Follow all my posts and u will see the picture...... Read before u rant !

Yojimbo007/StruckPaper/patpatpat: Please take it elsewhere, guys.

• Reply 160 of 223
    Announcing 5C preorders and combined 5C + 5s first week sales doesn't necessarily indicate actual product split at end of first week. In any case the number after the first week has always been announced. It has little bearing on the quarterly combined iPhone sales number and is more an indication of pent up demand.
    For example, last year 2M Ip5 sold in first week does not tell you anything about how many sold over the following quarter. 

Believe me if Apple had of had 5M 5C pre-orders we would know about it.
    But why would anyone, including Apple be expecting 5M preorders of the 5C? It's not the kind of phone that people would rush to buy like the flagship model with new features. I could see parents buying it for their kids for Christmas. That's not something they would need to do now.