Reservations for unlocked iPhone 5s quickly depleted in China, other models remain available [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow so the 5C is available but 5S is sold out - in China. Do people need any more proof that the 5C is overpriced?
  • Reply 22 of 56
    radster360 wrote: »
    So who was saying that iPhone 5C are expensive for Chinese Market? Apparently, they are eating up iPhone 5S, where they are making only $1000/Month median income. This goes to prove once again - All those financial analysts and especially all those dick heads and bitches at CNBC - Get a job where your level of intelligence works! You guys have no clues and are making statements and telling one of the top companies in the world in how they should be running their company.

Go Apple! Wait until China Mobile deal is officially announced. The DOCOMO is going to bring in more customer in Japan also.
    If the 5C wasn't too expensive wouldn't they be eating that up too? I thought everyone was saying the 5C was made for China because of the colors.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow so the 5C is available but 5S is sold out - in China. Do people need any more proof that the 5C is overpriced?

Yes, please.

Why does Apple sell the 5S from the 17th in China (only place on earth), when they did not totally expect that?

Even an industry greenhorn like Tim Cook knew that an, almost $750 including taxes, 5C won't cause a stampede in China. /s

There is only one reason that there is no "C"heap model. They did not want to offer one. Whoever wants to suggest that Apple thought that the 5C would be a mass market item in China or India... insults everybody's intelligence here.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    Yes, please.

Why does Apple sell the 5S from the 17th in China (only place on earth), when they did not totally expect that?

Even an industry greenhorn like Tim Cook knew that an, almost $750 including taxes, 5C won't cause a stampede in China. /s

There is only one reason that there is no "C"heap model. They did not want to offer one. Whoever wants to suggest that Apple thought that the 5C would be a mass market item in China or India... insults everybody's intelligence here.
    The headline in the WJS is that preorders suggest weak demand for new iPhones in China. Just saw the headline so not sure what they're basing it on. God I hope Apple releases numbers that blow people away next Monday.

As far as your comments on the 5C, then I guess I don't get the point of the product. If Apple just wants to cater to the high end why go plastic? Colored plastic doesn't scream high end.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Quote:

This would imply the assumption that both models are equally available. We do not know that.

• Reply 26 of 56
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    For all those saying that the price of the 5C is still too high for China, do keep in mind how cheap monthly service is here compared to the U.S. I pay only about US$8 for my plan on China Unicom, which includes 240 SMS, 300 MB of data, and 50 minutes of voice. As in most countries, you are not charged for incoming SMS or voice.

This means two years of service runs about US$200 instead of US$2000. A significant difference.

Thank you for putting things into perspective!
    rogifan wrote: »

Has it ever occurred to you they might have enough in stock? Sold out can mean two different things you know.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I'll be one of the ones handing over cash for a 5S the 5C holds no interest for me.

The preorders in China reinforce that there are probably millions like me who are yet to be counted.

Published analysts are a bunch of stupid, stock manipulating twats.

Recommendation buy AAPL before figures are released next Monday.

• Reply 28 of 56
    The reservation sysem starts at Hong Kong time 6:00am. I've wake up at 6:00am and spents 3 hours in order to log in to Apple server. However, the Apple website always busy and I can not make any reservation.
    After keeping refresh their Apple reservation website for three hours, I can go to the reservation pages. However, All iPhone 5s are SOLD OUT already.

Last year,I've been waiting for 2 months for my iPhone 5 because of iPhone shortage and I have many friends switch to Samsung phone because they cannot buy an iPhone from Apple even waited for few months.

Why it is so difficult to buy a Phone from Apple and many apple users in Hong Kong do not see Apple Hong Kong to do anything, or even shows their intention to do anything to remedy this situation. It discourage many Apple user in Hong Kong.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Just saying that from this morning, even if the 16GB _seems_ available in all three HK shops (space-gray again), if you continue to the final page where you enter your name and "confirm" the reservation, at the bottom it says "the time selected is not available anymore" or at other times "the product is no longer available". It basically alternates between the two and is either a glitch in the system or it is that people do cancel their reservations and others are picking up instantly.

I decided to go for the 16GB just because nothing else was there and learnt that first-hand.

Occasionally, now tried the reservation for around 10 minutes again, it will show phones unavailable immediately (not allowing any 5s to be selected) or grays out when you click on "unlocked only" (i'm not interested in contract) or then tells you above messages when you do successfully fill in all your required information (ie government ID and stuff)

So, ATM nada is available. Only 5c and 4s. (not sure why the latter is available for reservation even)

Tom
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Come on folks... this is nothing new with Apple and their fight against the anal-ists and WS. Time and again Apple has PROVEN their strategy of selling at a premium price point with ALL of their products. As I posted last week: why would any anal-ist expect Apple to leave money on the table, when Apple knows for a historical FACT that on launch, they can not keep up with demand even.

Just a thought... but does anyone really look behind the operation and grasp what selling 1 mil, 2 mil up to a very possible 10 million (very possible this time) devices in a day? The logistics just on paper would make the average persons head explode. Push that to 50 - 100 Mil. devices in a month, again quite possible this time around, and what kind of money would Apple be leaving on the table if they priced to anal-ist expectations? We already know that Apple would get raked over the coals for not meeting profit margins... and/or Tim Cook would be beaten up over supply problems. Facit: Apple can and never will win against these clowns.

Also of note, that "if" Apple had decided to price this iPhone or any other iOS device aggressively, do they realize that it would collapse their competitors over night? Do the anl-ists REALLY want that? I thought they were all for competition in the market place.

This just in (actually from last years iPhone 5 launch[URL=http://bgr.com/2012/09/24/iphone-5-launch-sales-2012/] 24 Sept 2012[/URL]):

[QUOTE]Shocking no one, Apple (AAPL) announced on Monday that its brand new iPhone 5 smartphone set a new record for opening-weekend sales. The company confirmed that during the device’s first three days of availability, Apple and its retail partners managed to sell more than 5 million iPhone 5 handsets including preorders. Apple also said more than [B](1)[/B] 100 million iOS device owners updated to iOS 6 since the new OS was released last week.

The new iPhone launched Friday, September 21st following heavy demand that saw launch-day preorder inventory sell out in less than one hour at Apple.com. Apple announced last week that it sold more than (2) 2 million iPhones during the smartphone’s first 24 hours of availability.

Early estimates suggested Apple could sell as many as 10 million new iPhones during the handset’s debut weekend, and [I][B]Apple’s stock is down 2.24% in pre-market[/B][/I] trading as a result.[/QUOTE]

(1) I expect that number to be in the 300-400 million with iOS 7

(2) 5x? 10? I'm at a loss to even guess, because I personally think the demand is huge with both 5S and specifically 5C. Just wait until people get this physically in their hands. I bet that many will not be able to put it back, and once again Apple will PROVE their engineering expertise with something so "simple and cheap" (/s) as plastic.

Will any of this raise AAPL? Probably not a lot.. Because their lack of an iWatch or TV, or some other made up rumored product will have not materialized and Apple/Tim Cook will be claimed to be failing to "innovate". And even when/if any of these rumored products make it out of the labs at Apple does get announced, we'll go through the very same BS as with the iPhone. Rinse and repeat.

Summed up: there is absolutely NO fundamental reason whatsoever WHY AAPL is so a volatile stock, other than that Wall Street wants it to be.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Just a thought... but does anyone really look behind the operation and grasp what selling 1 mil, 2 mil up to a very possible 10 million (very possible this time) devices in a day? The logistics just on paper would make the average persons head explode. Push that to 50 - 100 Mil. devices in a month, again quite possible this time around, and what kind of money would Apple be leaving on the table if they priced to anal-ist expectations? 

100M devices per month? How?

• Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by applegadet View Post

Last year,I've been waiting for 2 months for my iPhone 5 because of iPhone shortage and I have many friends switch to Samsung phone because they cannot buy an iPhone from Apple even waited for few months.

I'm with you... I waited weeks until finally caving in and getting a contract.  But I'm not willing to extend my contract every year... by 24 months. it was especially bizarre as it was the news everywhere that the phone was available in Hong Kong... yet you couldn't buy it, only from scalpers. They even waited outside the store and waved them in the air. 

But truth is, most of the phones will go to the telco's to be given out with contract. There's little we people can do. I'm expecting a call from 3 in the next few days / weeks and after a few more weeks I probably have to cave in and sign for a contract extension again ;-)

• Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

So, ATM nada is available. Only 5c and 4s. (not sure why the latter is available for reservation even)

Tom

4S is available for reservation or for ordering immediately?

• Reply 34 of 56

I didn't check. I was just pointing out that I found i strange the 4s would be offered for reservation. Three phones where able to select. 4s, 5c, 5s.

Not sure why. However, on the shop page it says the 4s is on 3-5 days shipping (so it seems you can outright order it online Well that would put it on the 20th as well. (Available to ship:

3-5 business days)

• Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:

Yes, we need actual numbers sold for both the 5C and 5S. Just because the 5S is sold out means nothing. It is easy to sell out if you only have a limited number too start with. Consider that the 5S isn't even going to start being sold in the USA until the 20th and its' price is higher. It would make sense that there might be a lot more 5C's available than there are 5S'. Only time and real numbers will tell.

• Reply 36 of 56
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    My personal observation of analysts is that they over rely on too few points in the supply chain (e.g. samsung) to determine apple's sales, when those same suppliers know that they can affect AAPL stock price by leaking false information. Something they'd be foolish not to take advantage of.

They also seem to gauge consumer interest, not by conducting research, but by reading the comments section of mac-related websites, reddit and related forums. Sources which have long lost purity on representing actual consumer interest, but rather are overrun with placed shills parroting the same, false, messages. (e.g. China celebrities fake tweets of 2013)

Indeed, opinion can be shaped this way, so it's no surprise that this is a frequently used tool by business and government. One only needs to read reddit or macrumors to see overwhelming quantities of this, even reading the edits page for the iPhone 5 wikipedia article, provides an interesting perspective.

The short of what I'm trying to say is that analysts are going to be consistently wrong if they keep basing their analyses on lazy sources. It's quite remarkable hearing an analyst become the mega-phone for an obvious piece of bait that started in /r/technology.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

• Reply 38 of 56
    The unlocked phones would work on china mobiles network now that the phones have native support correct?
  • Reply 39 of 56
    gtr wrote: »
    ^ pic

"...if the fandroids ever come out of the stone age."
  • Reply 40 of 56
    Stock is down over $3 pre market. Probably because of this headline I saw on Yahoo finance.

[B]Citi says 'not enthusiastic' about new iPhone prospects[/B]

iOS 7 reviews will start showing up in the next 24 hours and its guaranteed that reviewers will be analyzing it with a fine tooth comb and any negativity will be plastered all over the news. And we'll get stories about how the average user will be confused and people should wait to upgrade because there are bugs, etc. Then the phone reviews will complain that the screen isn't bigger, that its just an incremental update, that the 5C is too expensive, etc. We already know how this will play out.

I wouldn't be surprised if by Friday the stock will be trading near $400. And then Apple would have to absolutely kill it over the weekend in sales in order to get any bounce on Monday.