Reservations for unlocked iPhone 5s quickly depleted in China, other models remain available [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    rogifan wrote: »
    If the 5C wasn't too expensive wouldn't they be eating that up too? I thought everyone was saying the 5C was made for China because of the colors.

I don't recall anyone saying that. It was oft mentioned in the tech press that the gold 4S was "for the Chinese market".
  • Reply 42 of 56
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

If I riot this year, will I get to order the iPhone 6 early?

• Reply 43 of 56
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Wow so the 5C is available but 5S is sold out - in China. Do people need any more proof that the 5C is overpriced?

You do understand that the 5c is a lot easier to produce right? What slows down the 5s is the case and likely the new Touch ID. Apple can crank out the 5c. So it not being sold out means nothing.
  • Reply 44 of 56

Silly "analysts" shouldn't let facts spoil their rock-solid opinions. (My informal survey of myself and 5 other friends/iPhone owners show that all of us skipped the 5 because we loved our 4s, but now we're all ready for the 5s. We're business consultants with lots of stuff on our phones, and security is a big deal. Just hope they have a 64gb grey waiting for me on Friday!)

• Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applegadet View Post

The reservation sysem starts at Hong Kong time 6:00am. I've wake up at 6:00am and spents 3 hours in order to log in to Apple server. However, the Apple website always busy and I can not make any reservation.

After keeping refresh their Apple reservation website for three hours, I can go to the reservation pages. However, All iPhone 5s are SOLD OUT already.

Last year,I've been waiting for 2 months for my iPhone 5 because of iPhone shortage and I have many friends switch to Samsung phone because they cannot buy an iPhone from Apple even waited for few months.

Why it is so difficult to buy a Phone from Apple and many apple users in Hong Kong do not see Apple Hong Kong to do anything, or even shows their intention to do anything to remedy this situation. It discourage many Apple user in Hong Kong.

Apple did something this year.. You just didn't notice it.  A big part of Hong Kong Apple problem is that folks from inland China flood the reservation and buy up all the phone available. Didn't Apple launch Iphone in China and Hong Kong at the same time this year? Also part of the reservation process implement so far need a Hong Kong phone number to verify the buyer is in Hong Kong. That cut out a lot of inland Chinese purchase.

• Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The headline in the WJS is that preorders suggest weak demand for new iPhones in China. Just saw the headline so not sure what they're basing it on. God I hope Apple releases numbers that blow people away next Monday.

As far as your comments on the 5C, then I guess I don't get the point of the product. If Apple just wants to cater to the high end why go plastic? Colored plastic doesn't scream high end.

To me it's clear that the iPhone 5C was intended to be sold at around $400. Probably there were two sides inside Apple. One who believes that Apple should regain market share by selling a cheap plastic iPhone and another side who believes Apple should remain a premium brand and never sell cheap stuff. Now, probably the cheap side had convinced Cook that they need a cheap plastic iPhone in order to regain market share. And they start producing this phone. But later probably the other side managed to win again the inside fight and convinced Cook not to sell the phone for $400. But this happened probably too late to change things back and restart the production of iPhone 5 instead of iPhone 5C. And now they are stuck with this plastic phone and they just try and see if they can convince people to buy it! Soon some heads will fall inside Apple!

• Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

To me it's clear that the iPhone 5C was intended to be sold at around $400.

Based on what actual facts? Analyst speculation and rumors are do not constitute facts.

• Reply 48 of 56

Hi All..

I just check a news in another website, that the IPHONE 5S sold out in china.  Only space gray (lock and unlock) in 16gb is available.

Can anyone verified these information!

How many phones can a company can assign to 1 country? Like CHINA?

• Reply 49 of 56
    nelsonx wrote: »
    To me it's clear that the iPhone 5C was intended to be sold at around $400. Probably there were two sides inside Apple. One who believes that Apple should regain market share by selling a cheap plastic iPhone and another side who believes Apple should remain a premium brand and never sell cheap stuff. Now, probably the cheap side had convinced Cook that they need a cheap plastic iPhone in order to regain market share. And they start producing this phone. But later probably the other side managed to win again the inside fight and convinced Cook not to sell the phone for $400. But this happened probably too late to change things back and restart the production of iPhone 5 instead of iPhone 5C. And now they are stuck with this plastic phone and they just try and see if they can convince people to buy it! Soon some heads will fall inside Apple!

You made that up. ALL OF IT.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Originally Posted by CarlosDeBernard View Post

How many phones can a company can assign to 1 country? Like CHINA?

Infinity. They can send as many as will sell.

• Reply 51 of 56
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chinese customers looking to score a launch day reservation for an unlocked iPhone 5s may soon be out of luck, one report says, as the company has already run out of inventory at all three Beijing Apple Stores.

You guys really need to get this right - the headline should say "no contract", not "unlocked". Yes, the iPhone is unlocked but that is not a significant point as all phones sold in China are unlocked.

• Reply 52 of 56
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

The unlocked phones would work on china mobiles network now that the phones have native support correct?

If you are referring to GSM/Edge, yes they will all work on China Mobiles network.

If you are referring to LTE, it is hard to say as TD-LTE is currently not listed as supported by the China Telecom (A1533) and China Unicom (A1528) models:

However, interestingly TD-LTE is listed for the A1530 model on the US site:

• Reply 53 of 56
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You do understand that the 5c is a lot easier to produce right? ...

Isn't this actually proof that it's overpriced?  

It's easier and cheaper to produce, but it's priced the same as the old expensive, hard to produce metal ones.  Ergo, Apple is getting more money for the 5c than is absolutely necessary.  They are artificially keeping the price high and making more profit than they were before.  

• Reply 54 of 56
    Wow so the 5C is available but 5S is sold out - in China. Do people need any more proof that the 5C is overpriced?

It is all the media and bloggers kept saying that the iPhone 5c was for China! Apple never did! If Chinese were money constrained why would they buy more expensive model.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    If the 5C wasn't too expensive wouldn't they be eating that up too? I thought everyone was saying the 5C was made for China because of the colors.
    See my comments above - it addresses your question.