Review roundup: iPhone 5s with iOS 7 best smartphone available, 5c offers well-built alternative

Comments

• Reply 41 of 110
    blackbook wrote: »
    As much as I dislike plastic I'm excited to touch and feel the 5c after reading these reviews.

Multiple reviews described the material of the 5c's back panel to feel ceramic and not like plastic at all. That sounds rather unique and exciting.

Once people get their hands on them in the stores they'll be sold. Touching is believing.
  • Reply 42 of 110
    I ask the reader within a POLL what they think about the pricing. The target audience had been highly Mac affine and loyal Apple customer. The results are astonishing. While an overwhelming group of over 76 percent is saying: "the 5c is to expensive" are 67 percent are saying: "the 5s has a price that is OK".

@apple insider: cut the link if you dont want to publish.

SURVEY RESULTS: http://www.mac-harry.de/2013/09/kunden-iphone-5c-zu-teuer/
  • Reply 43 of 110
    In sure we'll see the usual insightful analyses from various self-promoting websites who will buy the iPhone 5c and put it in a blender, drop it from a small plane, burn it, disassemble it, etc. all on YouTube.
  • Reply 44 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

London's Independent says the 5S is the best smartphone anyone has ever made. image

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/iphone-5s--5c-review-the-best-smartphones-apple-or-anyone-has-made-8822629.html

David Phelan has shares in apple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Leave to Businessweek to spoil the fun. image

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-09-17/meet-the-new-iphones-same-as-the-old-iphones-rich-jaroslovsky

Rich Jaroslovsky has not shares in apple.

• Reply 45 of 110
    I need an iPhone 5 with the iPhone 4 form factor.
  • Reply 46 of 110
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

mark prigg at the London Evening Standard is also smitten by the 5s: "This is, without doubt, the best smartphone ever made - and puts Apple squarely at the top of the industry."

certainly overall the reviews are very very good, the best i can recall for any model iPhone.

and diehard Apple fans are already starting to camp out at the stores. since rumors say the 5s supply may be very limited at first, there could be record number of them by Thursday night. 

• Reply 47 of 110
    Can anyone confirm the ram on the 5s?
  • Reply 48 of 110
    Anandtech's review was great.

It kinda brings a smile to my face knowing that all over the world fandroids are crying that Apple has the fastest mobile processor in the world by a wide margin. Amazing that a dual core 1.3GHz processor can hold up to (and often beat) a quad core 2.2GHz processor.

Even more so since benchmarks have now shown there is a significant performance boost running in 64bit. I wonder where all the naysayers are going to hide now that it's proven the 64bit "marketing gimmick" has actual real-world benefits you get right now, without 4GB of RAM?

"fan droids" couldnt care less, seeing how comparable hardware will be released in months, not an entire year from now, unlike Apple. I've noticed the majority of your posts slam android and iPhone competitors in general, even when they have nothing to do with the topic at hand. That's quite the chip on your shoulder. Should get that looked at, Eric.
  • Reply 49 of 110
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good thing these roundups are written by journalists and not analysts.

Journalists do write-ups, while analysts do write-downs.

;)

• Reply 50 of 110
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

NFC? It's one of the those many stray arrows stuck on the wall. Way off in the corner. Waaaay off.

NFC is crap, when I tried transferring a photo from a Nokia Lumia 925 to my Samsung S4 it beeped like crazy and finally after trying various combinations of S-beam and NFC, I ended up with this:-

Usual half baked rubbish that sounds good in theory but doesn't turn out so well in reality.

• Reply 51 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

ok, looking at the reviews i can see already the dog lovers of the world love the new 5s slow mo. and you know the unbearably cute kittens can't be far behind. get ready for an eternal avalanche of 10 second pet clips in your inbox. thank god babies already move slow.

Ponders making a slow mo clip of a Galaxy S4 in a microwave, for your inbox for you to wake up to, when I get my new iPhone on Friday (Australian time).

• Reply 52 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Can anyone confirm the ram on the 5s?

5GB, because it can.

Suck on that Samsung!

Disclaimer, I made that up.

• Reply 53 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

"fan droids" couldnt care less, seeing how comparable hardware will be released in months, not an entire year from now, unlike Apple. I've noticed the majority of your posts slam android and iPhone competitors in general, even when they have nothing to do with the topic at hand. That's quite the chip on your shoulder. Should get that looked at, Eric.

Are you gonna queue up for a Note 3, come the third of October?

• Reply 54 of 110
    gtr wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Good thing these roundups are written by journalists and not analysts.

;)

Clever one!
  • Reply 55 of 110
    hill60 wrote: »
    NFC is crap, when I tried transferring a photo from a Nokia Lumia 925 to my Samsung S4 it beeped like crazy and finally after trying various combinations of S-beam and NFC, I ended up with this:-
    [^ pic]

Usual half baked rubbish that sounds good in theory but doesn't turn out so well in reality.

I am shocked! Shocked I say!
  • Reply 56 of 110
    David Pogue is a technological troglodyte. `light on hardware advancements...'

The entire A7 is BRAND NEW, not to mention the area in which the Touch ID resides, within the SoC solution.

The M7 is brand new. The battery is brand new. The logic board is brand new. The Camera is brand new.

Sorry, but the man is a complete hack.
  • Reply 57 of 110
    blackbook wrote: »
    As much as I dislike plastic I'm excited to touch and feel the 5c after reading these reviews.

Multiple reviews described the material of the 5c's back panel to feel ceramic and not like plastic at all. That sounds rather unique and exciting.

From my post yesterday: "Just wait until people get this physically in their hands. I bet that many will not be able to put it back, and once again Apple will PROVE their engineering expertise with something so "simple and cheap" (/s) as plastic."
  • Reply 58 of 110

I was wrong; there was an embargo after all. Was this to ensure that everyone spent enough time using the test devices?

• Reply 59 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

;)

Strictly speaking, accountants do the write-downs :)

• Reply 60 of 110
    I ask the reader within a POLL what they think about the pricing. The target audience had been highly Mac affine and loyal Apple customer. The results are astonishing. While an overwhelming group of over 76 percent is saying: "the 5c is to expensive" are 67 percent are saying: "the 5s has a price that is OK".

@apple insider: cut the link if you dont want to publish.

SURVEY RESULTS: http://www.mac-harry.de/2013/09/kunden-iphone-5c-zu-teuer/

To be perfectly honest, here in Germany I don't really expect the 5c to do all that well considering the price-lock that Vodafon/O2/T-Online have here.

The 5S on the other hand will sell out big time and really is a no-brainer must have device for all of my business clients.

PS. I tend to post a lot of the FUD we put up with in Germany, as does the more eloquent dreyfus2. Nice to see someone else covering the news from Germany. Too bad that the news is mostly, if not always, negative with anything to do about Apple. :no: