Pictures claim to show Apple's 'space gray' second-gen iPad mini shell

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The second generation of Apple's iPad mini will come in the new "space gray" hue debuted by the iPhone 5s, if newly-leaked images of the anticipated device's rear shell are to be believed.

Apple's upcoming refresh of the best-selling iPad mini will see the device's slate coloring dropped in favor of the company's new gray, according to newly-leaked photos purported to show the iPad Mini 2's rear shell. The images, which also depict slight structural updates, were first uncovered by French blog NowhereElse.fr and match up to another recent leak of purported iPad Mini 2 and iPad 5 sim trays.

"Space gray," introduced with the new flagship iPhone 5s, succeeds "black and slate" as the darkest color on offer from Cupertino. Following the phone's introduction, the company's iPod lineup was also updated to introduce the new shade.

The second-generation iPad mini is expected to be announced by Apple at an event in October, alongside a new fifth-generation iPad. It's expected that Apple's next 7.9-inch tablet will feature a high-resolution Retina display, while the new full-size iPad will sport a redesigned chassis similar to the iPad mini.

Both devices have been outed in numerous part leaks that have arrived throughout 2013. But Wednesday's latest leak is the first indication that the anodized aluminum back may adopt Apple's new "space gray" coloring.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I hope this is in addition to and doesn't replace the current natural aluminum color.

What is with this anodized aluminum thing anyway? One minor scratch and the whole effect is blown.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Like I said in another thread, is it possible the ipad 5 has smaller bezels but the same footprint, making it wider?

The case pics I seen looks to have a screen that is more "square" than rectangle.

• Reply 3 of 50
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Assuming the mini goes Retina I'll be saying goodbye to my 3RD gen iPad.

All going well the leaks will be pretty concrete about the display so that I can flog it before the news announcement.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I'm glad I'll have a collector's item of a charcoal iPad mini. I prefer the color much more so on the mini than the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    No flash at all, so low light photos will be still out of the question, looks like.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The slate models are going away for 2 reasons: the grey model looks much nicer [subjective, I suppose], but the biggest reason is the slate model gets chipped and scratched way too easily.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I hope this is in addition to and doesn't replace the current natural aluminum color.

It's replacing the stale model.

• Reply 8 of 50
    Looks superb ! This thing is more apealing to me than the white one.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarEnergy View Post

No flash at all, so low light photos will be still out of the question, looks like.

A flash would be nice, and I'm sure they will add one eventually to make the device more appealing, but it could easily be argued that adding features that encourages people to take photos with iPads is not a good thing.

• Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

What is with this anodized aluminum thing anyway? One minor scratch and the whole effect is blown.

Well, anodised means that the outermost layer gets coloured. Its not like when you dye something and a cloth gets the colour through and through. So, when you scratch away the outermost, coloured layer you see the natural aluminium. 

• Reply 11 of 50
    I just want a color to match my smart underwear.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    saarek wrote: »
    Assuming the mini goes Retina I'll be saying goodbye to my 3RD gen iPad.

All going well the leaks will be pretty concrete about the display so that I can flog it before the news announcement.

This. Loving that space gray iPad shell!
  • Reply 13 of 50

Looks like Liquidmetal?

• Reply 14 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ooh I like this. Now my mind has visions of a rMBP in space gray. Yum yum.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Looks like Liquidmetal?

Liquid metal looks like chrome. Nothing like this.

• Reply 16 of 50

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it'll have an A6x or an A7 CPU?

• Reply 17 of 50
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I think the space gray is a direct response to the scratching/nicking issue on the black iPhones. It's possible that the space gray is easier to anodize to a bigger depth. Also there would be less contrast when scratches do happen.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    Thats a shame for the lighter colour since it matches with the iMac & accessories (keyboard and mouse) also with the new silver iPhone.
    Which I'm on a upgrade for, I was going (need) to get an iPad but if that's going space grey then it doesn't fit into the rest!?

This means that newer iMac's and accessories will be going this root too?
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Looks like Liquidmetal?

Liquid metal looks like chrome. Nothing like this.

Disagree. It is much more greyish than chrome.

• Reply 20 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by webweasel View Post

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it'll have an A6x or an A7 CPU?

I presume you mean A7x ?