Transitioning from iOS 6 to Apple's overhauled iOS 7

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69

Overall I really like iOS 7, especially the intuitive pull down/up/swipe menus, but I can't help but feel that the "Jony Ive's" modern animations between screen changes, and maybe the new font, will quickly become the "skeuomorphisms" of the future. 

• Reply 62 of 69
    Originally Posted by PSSnyder View Post
    Overall I really like iOS 7, especially the intuitive pull down/up/swipe menus, but I can't help but feel that the "Jony Ive's" modern animations between screen changes, and maybe the new font, will quickly become the "skeuomorphisms" of the future. 

I think the animations bring to the OS a sense of unity that hasn’t been there before (and which I didn’t even notice was better until I saw it). Before, you’d touch an app and it would open; Home Button and it would close. Now you touch an app and the OS expands/shrinks around the app; each app has a place within the OS; it feels like a part of it now.

• Reply 63 of 69
    Good point, I am just more of a minimalist.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PSSnyder View Post

It's all about this Jobs idea that user experience should be a "cinematic experience" (to quote him from one of the keynote or WWDC speeches, forgot which one, probably more than one).

The problem is, that for marketing reasons our computers and electronic gadgets are supposed to become addictive, just like the flashing lights around a one-armed bandit or some other gambling or gaming machine (started with the pinball machines...)

The problem with boring things not being boring and people being captured with the "experience" rather than being driven by the necessity to send an e-mail or make a phone call, is that we lose ourselves in trifles and some sort of fake electronic "experience" rather than actually LIVING.

When I need to send an e-mail, or have to make an electronic banking transaction, it doesn't have to be "fun, engaging", it has to be fast, efficient, and least likely to result in some sort of erroneous transaction (prematurely sent e-mail, wrong amount of money transferred, etc.)

But an efficient, boring interface doesn't sell devices. It would drop these numbers of "iOS highest percentage of mobile web usage", etc. because if it doesn't "feel cool" to play around on the web, but it's dry affair, we'll do it when we NEED TO, and do so efficiently.

The first signs of this sort of UI fluff I encountered in electronic music software: audio plug-ins you need usually can do with a few sliders, maybe an EQ graph or something similar, and a few radio buttons, parameters, etc. But instead there was all this futuristic graphic decoration around it that was supposed to make plug-ins "exciting". People started buying plug-ins that looked cool, looked like vintage gear, etc. and not deciding with their ear. So the most exciting, expensive "looking" plug-ins won, not the ones that did the best job on the audio output.

Unfortunately, I don't see an end to this disease. Imagine a mechanical typewriter with all sorts of flashing lights to make typing "exciting", and people writing reams of paper worth of garbage text, just because "it's so much fun typing on this thing", but that's essentially what the majority of people are doing these days with their gadgets.

Self discipline is the only short-term viable way out, but as with all addictions, only a small fraction of those who try will succeed, not even talking about the fact that only a small percentage will realize that they are actually addicted to using their gadgets or use them to bridge socially awkward situations. So much easier staring into an iPhone than maintaining a good conversation or confront someone about pressing issues...

• Reply 65 of 69
    I remember a comment by or about Jobs that said he had to keep Jony from going overboard. I don't have a real problem with the animations but they take "time" and draw your focus away from the task. A less dramatic transition would have been welcome, but overall the UI is an improvement.
  • Reply 66 of 69

The upgrade to my iPhone 4 went smoothly and the phone seems to be a bit more responsive.  I have upgraded iPhone 4, 4s, 5, iPad 3, iPad 4, mini and Touch.  All went very well and my wife and the kids are happy.

• Reply 67 of 69
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mhikl wrote: »
    I think you revert to a pre 7 backup if not happy.

(clarity fix)

Better be quick then. The only iPhone version Apple still allows to be restored is 6.1.3 (Edit: or 6.1.5 for the 5). If your backed-up version was older than that you're probably out of luck.
    http://www.icj.me/ios/all

Unless it still has a green checkmark Apple's not serving it up anymore.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    applejim wrote: »
    I hate it. My 50 year old eyes have trouble seeing the new thinner font, especially when print is small. Also Apple got too swipe happy, as it's too easy to swipe to a different screen, in error when you don't intend to. Also looks terrible on a 4S, screen too small, and screen is slightly truncated, can't see it all until you scroll slightly, so you have to get a 5. Hardly backward compatible. Be warned before you upgrade to iOS 7.

I am 64 with cataracts and upgraded a 4s. I have not had any problems seeing the screen or with the new gestures. I am sure that the narrow type can be difficult and the swipes are in new places - but overall the new features are worth the effort.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    I should have given a better response - in settings you can change the size of type in apps that support dynamic type and you can use the accessibility settings to make them bold, etc.