Youth lighting up Twitter, Facebook, Instagram about iOS 7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    richl wrote: »
    I don't think you understand why Spotify exists. It's partly owned by the big music labels and exists to compete with iTunes at any financial cost. The big labels really hate that iTunes has such a strong grip over digital music sales. It's already a loss leader.

Not sure you have the entire picture. In a report released in 2012, it stated that Spotify posted a net loss of $59 million in 2011, ascribed to increased staff costs and licensing fees and royalties to record companies. That last part seems to indicate to me that they are hurting due to royalties to the very people you say own them? If so that's a bit odd isn't it? Or has Daniel Ek been bought out by the 'big labels' and I missed that?
  • Reply 22 of 57
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    msalganik wrote: »
    This is possibly due to the fact that teenagers are the only ones who have time to tweet or put up facebook status updates about the new iOS. I've got it and I enjoy it but given that I was at work while my phone was updating, I wasn't tweeting or facebooking about it. Just a thought.

Or you have another time wasting outlet- like this forum. ;)
  • Reply 23 of 57
    The experience is much better on the iPhone than it is on the iPad; after some early frustration with the contrast and color choices (e.g., the red menus and text in calendar), it's growing on me.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    bobbyc wrote: »
    The experience is much better on the iPhone than it is on the iPad; after some early frustration with the contrast and color choices (e.g., the red menus and text in calendar), it's growing on me.

I've been using iOS 7 dev versions since the get go and I have to say Calendar has been the one I had the hardest time with. It is almost too sparse yet then again not everywhere ... I am a total iOS 7 convert so i don't say this negatively of the OS but that app ... I can't put my finger on what it is that's bothering me. There is something missing that I'll only notice when it's there ... :)
  • Reply 25 of 57
    msalganik wrote: »
    This is possibly due to the fact that teenagers are the only ones who have time to tweet or put up facebook status updates about the new iOS. I've got it and I enjoy it but given that I was at work while my phone was updating, I wasn't tweeting or facebooking about it. Just a thought.

Are you at work now? Just a question.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    About 4pm yesterday I noticed my teenage nephew posetd on his Facebook "This post was entirely done using Siri. Love IOS7" If the kids like it, it will be successful!
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cook Ive Federighi

Whence came this image? I’ve never seen full-body shots of these guys before, much less like this.

• Reply 28 of 57
    I visited the Buzz Marketing Web site to enlighten myself about the company. Upon seeing Tina's picture she looked familiar to me. Now I checking with friends in Philadelphia to find out if any of them know her. Too funny.

On the nitpicking side of things, I have never heard of "Wharton School of..." as listed in her bio...Tina Wells, CEO and founder of Buzz Marketing Group, earned her B.A. in Communication Arts graduating with honors from Hood College in 2002. Currently a Wharton School of…

Oh well.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    That proclamation that young people had abandoned Apple sure got a lot of attention for many months. And now it seems it was pure and utter bull****.

Now I am wondering what other truisms about youth are just Analysts making **** up.

Maybe youth do use Facebook.

Maybe young people read the news. Maybe they have good attention spans and think intelligently and critically about things.

Maybe young people appreciate good integrated design of the digital products they use every day.
  • Reply 30 of 57

Whence came this image? I’ve never seen full-body shots of these guys before, much less like this.

It is close to the cover photo. Maybe BW published the image.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    As a teenager and a high school student, I can say that people my age really do enjoy the new software. I think they do enjoy the more modern look rather than the skeuomorphism. While some think it's a little tacky, I firmly believe a lot of people I've talked to see this as the way of the future for most products.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Not surprised that youth is impressed. The iOS 7 color scheme is something only a teen girl could love.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

That proclamation that young people had abandoned Apple sure got a lot of attention for many months. And now it seems it was pure and utter bull****.

Now I am wondering what other truisms about youth are just Analysts making **** up.

Maybe young people read the news. Maybe they have good attention spans and think intelligently and critically about things.

Maybe young people appreciate good integrated design of the digital products they use every day.

The sad part about this is that no one really asks us. As a high school senior, I find it terrible how analysts and others just assume we are this way or that way. A lot of my generation actually are really technologically savvy, read the news, and appreciate good design. No one asks us!

• Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:

Cook Ive Federighi

All the kids will now be Federighi'ing and Ive'ing (probably not as much Cook'ing) ... pics of people in these poses in all sorts of locations will be the latest rage.

• Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

All those things are true about the youths that live in my house (and, as near as I can tell, in the houses near mine.)

• Reply 36 of 57
    jakeu26 wrote: »
    The sad part about this is that no one really asks us. As a high school senior, I find it terrible how analysts and others just assume we are this way or that way. A lot of my generation actually are really technologically savvy, read the news, and appreciate good design. No one asks us!

Not only that it is often hard to be taken seriously, even in your 20s. I recall trying to start a business, talking to bank managers about business loans wasn't easy. I suspect it is more of an indictment of their own youth if older folks think so lowly of the youth of today. So take heart and don't give up, you guys are the future.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not only that it is often hard to be taken seriously, even in your 20s. I recall trying to start a business, talking to bank managers about business loans wasn't easy. I suspect it is more of an indictment of their own youth if older folks think so lowly of the youth of today. So take heart and don't give up, you guys are the future.

Exactly. People often find my generation to be lazy and not wanting to do much, but I know that there are quite a few people in my generation who have a really interesting desire to further tech. We've had all of this for our whole lives...we are ready to make a big difference!

• Reply 38 of 57
    Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

All the kids will now be Federighi'ing and Ive'ing (probably not as much Cook'ing) ... pics of people in these poses in all sorts of locations will be the latest rage.

• Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's a cool site where you can get a sense of adoption rates. Already iOS 7 is around 25%.

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ios_7/from_date:-2,to_date:0

Based on message board comments (especially on MacRumors) I expected I wasn't going to like it; that I was going to be telling myself I liked it more than I really did. But to my surprise I actually do like it. Of course it's not perfect and I don't love everything about it (I didn't with iOS 6 either). But after using it for a few hours I wondered what all the angst was about. Using it again this morning it seems completely natural to use and I don't really miss iOS 6. But maybe the reason I have less angst is I'm treating it as a version 1.0 product. It's a complete redesign in the span of 7 months or so and it's just the beginning. Also a lot of the issues people are complaining about seem to be easily fixable. And maybe we'll see some of the rough edges smoothed out in point updates. I do think the current team under Cook will be more responsive to feedback than Jobs and Forstall were.

One of my favorite things about iOS 7 is iTunes Radio. I used it for a couple hours last night and the song choices were great and I never had one repeat. On par with my Pandora experience and much better than the radio feature within Spotify. I can only imagine how good it will be once I've been using it longer and it's become acclimated to my tastes.

I like it a lot too although I hated it at first and only really started to like it after an hour or two of messing around with it.  I'm sure I will like it even more tomorrow. 

There are lots of little things about it that I don't like though, mostly areas where they took something away or completely f*cked it up just because of the dogma of iOS 7 design rules.  

For instance to make calculator look okay and the buttons bigger and clearer, they took away the memory buttons (I use them all the time!).  And the timer (which I use at least a few times a week), is an ugly POS now (for no reason other than the previous "wheel" control is now verbotten).  It's also a bit silly that because "all picture icons must be circular" I can't see half of my friends and relatives faces properly.  I spent a long time adding pictures to my Contacts over the years, and now they are all clipped into that silly circle ... because: dogma.  

There are also lots of outstanding bugs and missing features from iOS 6 that still haven't' been fixed in iOS 7, like the inability to add world clocks for towns and cities and the fact that none of the "favourites" or "wish lists" in the various devices and services they sell and provide can talk to each other.  Presumably they were spending too much time worrying about the icons to actually fix the larger problems.  

Also, iTunes Radio is great (I hear) but not available outside of the USA.  That would be fine, except they removed the "regular" Internet Radio functionality from iTunes, which I used to listen to all the time.  So now not only don't I have their proprietary replacement for Internet Radio, I don't have Internet Radio at all in iTunes.  

• Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

LOL

Priceless!

Nicely done.