Youth lighting up Twitter, Facebook, Instagram about iOS 7

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    richl wrote: »
    Ah, DED. Cherry-picks tweets for his article and then complains about survey bias. Total lack of self awareness.

Wasn't aware DED was publishing a statistical sampled survey.

Analysts declare iOS 7 a failure; looks for low cost iOS C. /s
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

All the kids will now be Federighi'ing and Ive'ing (probably not as much Cook'ing) ... pics of people in these poses in all sorts of locations will be the latest rage.

Actually Cook is the only one standing "normally" which shows he's a better person than the other two.  Federghi is adopting a classic macho "power stance" which shows he is manipulative and dominating.  Ive is making an elaborate attempt at forced casual-ness, identifying him as manipulative and a "poseur."  

Cook on the other hand is just standing relatively normally, but with excellent posture and obvious health.  I'd pick him to talk to any day.  
  • Reply 43 of 57
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

This is an apple fan site. 

Oh, I'm sure that RichL is aware of that, ... problem is that he would love to go to an Android site to "pump up' the  Android "stuff' .... but, even 'tho it's full of hot air it's just not possible to pump up ... being the POS that it is ... so, he goes to an Apple site to try to knock Apple down .... yet another impossibility .... so sad RichL, so sad.

• Reply 44 of 57
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

This is possibly due to the fact that teenagers are the only ones who have time to tweet or put up facebook status updates about the new iOS. I've got it and I enjoy it but given that I was at work while my phone was updating, I wasn't tweeting or facebooking about it. Just a thought.

But isn't this an example of the brilliance of Apple .... sell to the older crowd, like me and you, because of how it "just works" and sell to the younger crowd because of how it inspires enough passion to want to "tell the world" about it , 2 groups of opposite demographics with 1 device .... and I'll  bet not a single one of those tweets come from someone getting paid ... like some of the "other guys" have to do. Now that's innovation.

• Reply 45 of 57

No accounting in the data for teens under 18? Go to any high school event like a Friday night football game and you'll see that iPhones are omnipresent. My 15 year old went to bed last night with a 15 hour estimated download time for iOS 7 and was up early this morning showing me the new features --already exploring, figuring them out and using them. Me... I'll wait a day or two.

gc

• Reply 46 of 57
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I like it a lot too although I hated it at first and only really started to like it after an hour or two of messing around with it.  I'm sure I will like it even more tomorrow. 

There are lots of little things about it that I don't like though, mostly areas where they took something away or completely f*cked it up just because of the dogma of iOS 7 design rules.  

For instance to make calculator look okay and the buttons bigger and clearer, they took away the memory buttons (I use them all the time!).  And the timer (which I use at least a few times a week), is an ugly POS now (for no reason other than the previous "wheel" control is now verbotten).  It's also a bit silly that because "all picture icons must be circular" I can't see half of my friends and relatives faces properly.  I spent a long time adding pictures to my Contacts over the years, and now they are all clipped into that silly circle ... because: dogma.  

There are also lots of outstanding bugs and missing features from iOS 6 that still haven't' been fixed in iOS 7, like the inability to add world clocks for towns and cities and the fact that none of the "favourites" or "wish lists" in the various devices and services they sell and provide can talk to each other.  Presumably they were spending too much time worrying about the icons to actually fix the larger problems.  

Also, iTunes Radio is great (I hear) but not available outside of the USA.  That would be fine, except they removed the "regular" Internet Radio functionality from iTunes, which I used to listen to all the time.  So now not only don't I have their proprietary replacement for Internet Radio, I don't have Internet Radio at all in iTunes.  

Sheez! You always find something to complain about. Just take it as it is man!
  • Reply 47 of 57
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I don't have Internet Radio at all in iTunes.

It moved to Music, tab Internet:

• Reply 48 of 57
    OK, long-time lurker, first time commenter. I read this article earlier today and then logged onto Tumblr, which is also blowing up with stuff about iOS7. Lots of positive comments; I uploaded screenshots of my lock page and got lots of likes and reblogs plus someone messaged me asking how the download/install process had gone. A lot of the people on Tumblr are still in high school and some in college, and all that they could say was "everyone keeps asking me about the iOS7 update at school" and they are trying to download it between classes!! Lots of questions and commentary. Most of it is positive. Some is negative (colors are "childish", and oddly, several complaints of "if I wanted my phone to look like Android I would've gotten some crap Galaxy phone! I want iOS 6 back!"), which I never expected, frankly. But what made me come back here and register and post a comment was that so many of them are loving and raving about iTunes Radio and posting screenshots and listing their stations and whatnot. This on Tumblr, which has integrated with Spotify so that you can do an audio post and easily post a Spotify playlist or song. Just find that fascinating. People are saying its their favorite feature of the update.

So, overall, on Tumblr iOS7 is a big hit with the young crowd. Oh, and people are now complaining about the Tumblr iOS app, saying it should be updated so it matches the new design.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Not surprised that youth is impressed. The iOS 7 color scheme is something only a teen girl could love.

I'm a 30 year old man and my wife is 32. We both love it. Maybe the colors are something a crogety old man can't love. But you can go ahead and leave iOS. I hear windows 7has the very drab colors you'd love.
  • Reply 50 of 57

This is mind-blowing O_O

source: https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ios_7/from_date:-4,to_date:0

btw: I read ai since... 1998 or so. Not much has impressed me too much as to post about it. But this... Nuts.

• Reply 51 of 57
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's not really something to be proud of, simply that young people are flocking to your device.

If young people who are experts in design are flocking to your GUI, that is something to be proud of. Or young people who are experts in hardware flocking to your new CPU. Or young people who are experts in software flocking to your new API. But just young?
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quaipau View Post

This is mind-blowing O_O

It's because iOS 6 has an auto update feature. People are not seeking it out (necessarily) they are being offered it by their device, and thinking "Free stuff? Yeah why not." They key thing is what they think *after* it installs.

• Reply 53 of 57
    quaipau wrote: »

I get a different chart from your link:

...which could also be interpreted as the hopes for the latest Android version adoption rate¡
  • Reply 54 of 57
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ascii wrote: »
    It's not really something to be proud of, simply that young people are flocking to your device.

If young people who are experts in design are flocking to your GUI, that is something to be proud of. Or young people who are experts in hardware flocking to your new CPU. Or young people who are experts in software flocking to your new API. But just young?
    It's all about brand loyalty. Young people want to feel good about what they buy. If you give them what they want they'd be more loyal to your brand. As they get older, they'll have more income to buy more of your products.

I was a teen when I first used a Mac some 20+ years ago. I stuck with Apple through the dark period. I was "rewarded" by buying an iMac and iPhone later.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's all about brand loyalty. Young people want to feel good about what they buy. If you give them what they want they'd be more loyal to your brand. As they get older, they'll have more income to buy more of your products.

I was a teen when I first used a Mac some 20+ years ago. I stuck with Apple through the dark period. I was "rewarded" by buying an iMac and iPhone later.

Yes, good point. One of the side benefits to selling iPads to school kids, or of being in the education market in general.

I first encountered the Mac in a University course and then wanted one for myself (was using something different at the time).

• Reply 56 of 57
    So this ugly design will stay because there are young people tweeting about loving it.

There's one thing about the young not mentioned: they love change for the sake of change and are the first to complain about things getting boring. It bothered me about my peers then and it bothers me now. Wait. Oh. They're all still like that in our 30s. Okay. Scratch that. People just like change for the sake of change. I guess we'll have to wait for iOS 8 for Apple to have had a long look at what's horribly wrong with this undoing of human-computer interfacing for the sake of Jony Ive's fist attempt at managing a department he doesn't fundamentally understand. I wonder if Apple will backpedal or just keep moving forward with it like Microsoft does when they "improve" a GUI by making it harder to read.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

I wonder if Apple will backpedal or just keep moving forward with it like Microsoft does when they "improve" a GUI by making it harder to read.

My productivity definitely fell when Office 2007 introduced ribbons instead of menus. I used to be able to "guess" the menu for the function I wanted first time, but for some reason now it's always on the second or third ribbon tab I expect it to be.

I don't think it's my personal un-adaptability either, as I have learned lots of completely new concepts in the intervening years.

There is just some bad ideas in UX at this point in history and apparently even the best companies aren't immune.