Apple TV version 6.0 adds iTunes Radio, iCloud AirPlay support

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91

I did that and it bricked.... no way out of it. 

Thanks a lot!

• Reply 42 of 91
    Originally Posted by Luis Zerpa View Post

Totally wrong, by the way.

• Reply 43 of 91

Same here.... so pissed!

• Reply 44 of 91
    Mine bricked too. I was able to restore via USB. What i am curious about is why do my stations not update and sync across all of my devices?
  • Reply 45 of 91
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Both of my ATV3s updated without a hitch- although they did take abnormally long. Thank God. Sorry some of y'all are getting bricked- no way I would have upgraded if I had read the comments here first.
  • Reply 46 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Luis Zerpa View Post

Totally wrong, by the way.

If you haven't experienced it, you should shut up. Really.

Thanks.

• Reply 47 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

What i am curious about is why do my stations not update and sync across all of my devices?

Mine do, and I find it irritating. When a station is deleted in one, it gets deleted in all.

I wish there was a way to set it at a device level rather than at the iTunes account level.

• Reply 48 of 91

It took a long time, but my 2nd gen Apple TV updated successfully. It reset my video resolution but other than that there were no issues.

• Reply 49 of 91
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nah, I’m 100% confident that someone can know that he’s lying about there being “no way out of it” without having experienced it personally, thanks.

• Reply 50 of 91
    Quote:

Nah, I’m 100% confident that someone can know that he’s lying about there being “no way out of it” without having experienced it personally, thanks.

Tbh, having wasted three hours of my life on this today, 'no way out of it' is the way I feel too. It is just a lousy software update. Period. (You can read Apple Support Communities on this issue, if you don't believe me).

I guess the 'way out' will likely be to call Apple tomorrow, and perhaps have them send me a new one (as has happened to a couple of others here). Coming fresh on the heels of my one-year old iPhone 5 (which I was going to passing off to my son when my 5S came in) being sent back to Apple a couple of days ago to fix a defective on-off button, and a 1.5-year old iPad that has a defective home button, I've been having a bad Apple week.

• Reply 51 of 91
    Quote:

Quote:

Tbh, having wasted three hours of my life on this today, 'no way out of it' is the way I feel too. It is just a lousy software update. Period. (You can read Apple Support Communities on this issue, if you don't believe me).

I guess the 'way out' will likely be to call Apple tomorrow, and perhaps have them send me a new one (as has happened to a couple of others here). Coming fresh on the heels of my one-year old iPhone 5 (which I was going to passing off to my son when my 5S came in) being sent back to Apple a couple of days ago to fix a defective on-off button, and a 1.5-year old iPad that has a defective home button, I've been having a bad Apple week.

How are you detecting that the update has actually failed? Many users have reported that it takes an unusually long time to complete, so I'm wondering how many of the apparent failures might be due simply to killing the process before it finishes. I'm reluctant, however, to test the theory on my ATV without further evidence.

• Reply 52 of 91
    muppetry wrote: »
    How are you detecting that the update has actually failed? Many users have reported that it takes an unusually long time to complete, so I'm wondering how many of the apparent failures might be due simply to killing the process before it finishes. I'm reluctant, however, to test the theory on my ATV without further evidence.

It'll be quite obvious if/when it happens. An image of an @TV with a USB cable connected to the iTunes icon comes on the screen, and stays on. You pretty much have no other choice.

My recommendation is, stay FAR away from this update until it's been updated.
  • Reply 53 of 91

3rd gen bricked on me after a long attempt to update. Just made a unnecessary run to Radioshack for a mircoUSB to USB cable and I'm now up and running on the latest OS. Major pain in the ass.

• Reply 54 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    My second generation Apple TV bricked and cannot be restored even in iTunes (v11.1) via USB cable, errors out with a 1602 error. My third generation Apple TV had no problems. Apple Support (800-SOS-APPL) was little help, all they could do was to make a Genius Bar appointment for me. Anyone updating with second generation should use caution.

I had not read about any issues when I did mine or I might have hesitated. However, I did a 2nd and 3rd at the same time. Both took a long time but both succeeded no problems.
  • Reply 55 of 91
    Quote:

I'm 100% confident that you should shut up though.  You're supposed to be a moderator.  

What's the point of making snide comments to people who are experiencing a bricked Apple TV other than purposely being a jerk and pissing people off?  

The stupid thing about this bricked Apple TV thing is that the cable you need to fix it is the cable that you will most likely have around if you have an Android phone.  micro A is not that common of a cable and not only that, they don't sell them at the Apple store.  The whole thing is a giant cluster*ck by Apple.  
  • Reply 56 of 91
    gazoobee wrote: »
     The whole thing is a giant cluster*ck by Apple.  

Agreed. It's a mess.
  • Reply 57 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

ROFLMAO. Technology just craps on some people. Maybe it's your karma or the way you smell.

Jerk.

• Reply 58 of 91
    Ok, I had a USB wire from my girlfriend's HTC phone, hooked it up to my MacBook, fired iTunes, hit the "Restore" button and it worked. After the update was applied just hook back your HDMI wire and unplug/replug Apple TV and voilà!
  • Reply 59 of 91
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It'll be quite obvious if/when it happens. An image of an @TV with a USB cable connected to the iTunes icon comes on the screen, and stays on. You pretty much have no other choice.

My recommendation is, stay FAR away from this update until it's been updated.

Thanks - I think I'll follow your advice.

• Reply 60 of 91
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're supposed to be a moderator. 

I’ll stand behind that statement.

The stupid thing about this bricked Apple TV thing is that the cable you need to fix it is the cable that you will most likely have around if you have an Android phone.  micro A is not that common of a cable and not only that, they don't sell them at the Apple store.  The whole thing is a giant cluster*ck by Apple.

Yeah! It is! That this is happening at all is pretty upsetting, but it’s not permanent, as was implied. I was attempting to find the specific instructions for restoring from this problem to edit the post but got caught up in my work and forgot until I came back.