Apple TV version 6.0 adds iTunes Radio, iCloud AirPlay support

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    Could this all be related to the pummeled iTunes authorization server? I didn't update till about 11pm when I got home, at which point I left the update to "prepare" while I took the dog out. When I got back almost an hour later it was up and running. Guess I'm lucky.

But at what time did those of you with problems do the update? If there was a rush of updates all at once then maybe that in tandem with all the iPhone orders made a bad situation worse. Just trying to find a method to the madness that would leave some aTV's bricked and others fine.

My update also came thru an Ethernet connection, FWIW.
  • Reply 62 of 91
    I am curious. When those of you who say it was "bricked" tried to update and it failed, what exactly happened? Did the update not complete all the way? Did it just hang during the process and never progress? Did it die halfway through and then render your AppleTV unusable? Not sure what you mean by "bricked".

My experience was that the first two thirds of the download happened in about five minutes and then for about 10 minutes it downloaded slowly but steadily (while I was reading this thread) and then it marched on to finish and complete the update. There was no bricking. The whole process took about 30-40 minutes. That was about 20 minutes faster that it took to update the iPhone and the iPad to iOS 7.
  • Reply 63 of 91
    I thought my update had failed. The download was quick but I have cable. Step 1 of 2 is VERY slow. Like forever. I ended up measuring the length of the bar with a ruler just to be sure. Step 2 of 2 was almost as slow but eventually it worked.

EVENTUALLY....

My advice is that if appears to hang, just wait. Measure the bar, walk away and do something else. I realise this may not be helpful to you all but it's my two cents worth.

John
  • Reply 64 of 91

I updated both of my 3rd gen ?TVs. The ?TV that is connected through ethernet had to be connected to iTunes by usb to restore. The one that is 100 feet away and wireless went through without a problem. Although, it took "long time GI"

I am not sure that my 5 year old son didnt bork the install by switching the TV/Amp/hdmi splitter to "cable from ?TV setting. I have a logitech harmony remote that switches everything -and turns off anything(blu-rasy player, cable box etc..) not in use for a function. When I came in to check on the update he was watching disney channel on xfinity and the light on the ?TV was flashing really fast. I switched it back to ?TV function and the TV screen showed a "cable to iTune"s required graphic. I fortunately had one of these cables so restore was then a breeze.

So, i am not sure if it was borked from the get go or as a result of trying to be shut off by the harmony remote.

Anyways, all is good now, and as usuall with apple-the update otherwise is awesome.

Love ?TV !!     Since 2007- it is by far our favorite device. 

• Reply 65 of 91
    I have a Gen 2 and a Gen 3, both on wired Ethernet using static IP addresses. Both took a long time, but eventually began showing the screen saver, in which you thought everything was ok. But if you pressed the menu button, both units went to a black screen and refused to wake up. Cutting power to the units got them working again, seeing the "new features" screen on reboot and everything has been ok since.
  • Reply 66 of 91
    Deleted.
  • Reply 67 of 91
    psych_guy wrote: »
    I am curious. When those of you who say it was "bricked" tried to update and it failed, what exactly happened? Did the update not complete all the way? Did it just hang during the process and never progress? Did it die halfway through and then render your AppleTV unusable? Not sure what you mean by "bricked".

My experience was that the first two thirds of the download happened in about five minutes and then for about 10 minutes it downloaded slowly but steadily (while I was reading this thread) and then it marched on to finish and complete the update. There was no bricking. The whole process took about 30-40 minutes. That was about 20 minutes faster that it took to update the iPhone and the iPad to iOS 7.

Perhaps if you actually read the thread, you'd know what people mean by 'bricked.'
  • Reply 68 of 91
    jcbigears wrote: »
    I thought my update had failed. The download was quick but I have cable. Step 1 of 2 is VERY slow. Like forever. I ended up measuring the length of the bar with a ruler just to be sure. Step 2 of 2 was almost as slow but eventually it worked.

EVENTUALLY....

My advice is that if appears to hang, just wait. Measure the bar, walk away and do something else. I realise this may not be helpful to you all but it's my two cents worth.

John

Um.. Did you get the iTunes icon on screen? If not, you had no problems.
  • Reply 69 of 91

I started my download before reading everyones comments. Luckily download and installation was flawless. iTunes radio works as promised.

• Reply 70 of 91

Deleted.

• Reply 71 of 91
    Final update: Apple Support asked me to take it in for service (to a local authorized service agent). They agreed that the 6.0 update fried mine.

Luckily, I have my Gen 2....
  • Reply 72 of 91
    I just discovered tonight after downloading the new version 6.0 that it erased all my favorites that I had on my podcast on Apple TV. Was not happy at all. Apple technical support had no idea how to fix it and if either one of two things happened.

One Apple intended not to make it work and we have to resubscribe to that specific podcast that we enjoy or two, they had no clue that it was going to do that. The only way to work around this is to resubscribe to your favorite podcast. Is no workaround other than that. Apple has no clue fix it at this point unless there's a future update... they sure blew this one
  • Reply 73 of 91
    There's a lot of hidden new features in this update. I found a bunch while I was going through everything the other night after I downloaded it. For example, go into Update Software in settings. You will see a new feature which allows you to select automatic updates. This is defaulted to off, so turn it on and it will update itself automatically as newer versions are released! The Podcast app now syncs with your iTunes account and other iOS devices. The Photos app now works like the built-in Photos app of iOS 7. There are other various tweaks throughout that you will find, if you look thoroughly.
  • Reply 74 of 91
    dmfett wrote: »
    I just discovered tonight after downloading the new version 6.0 that it erased all my favorites that I had on my podcast on Apple TV. Was not happy at all. Apple technical support had no idea how to fix it and if either one of two things happened.

One Apple intended not to make it work and we have to resubscribe to that specific podcast that we enjoy or two, they had no clue that it was going to do that. The only way to work around this is to resubscribe to your favorite podcast. Is no workaround other than that. Apple has no clue fix it at this point unless there's a future update... they sure blew this one

That's because it now syncs with iTunes and your other iOS devices. I never saved anything to my favorites using the Apple TV app. All, my subscriptions were added through iTunes or my iPhone, my iPad, or my iPod Touch. After the update, all my subscriptions appeared on the Apple TV Podcast app, which I was delighted to see, which I would rather have than an independent non-synced list. Yeah, I can see why this can be upsetting with people who kept a list using the old Apple TV app, but in order to gain the functionality of this enhancement, it needs to replace any list data it previously had. It's a trade-off I think is worth it, but - yeah - Apple should have thought this out better so that people like yourself would have lossless way of transitioning.
  • Reply 75 of 91
    i have a second gen AppleTV and its saying no update so it must have been pulled due to all the problems.
  • Reply 76 of 91

I started the update running and then sat down and began reading all the FOOBAR comments here. Arggg! My 2nd gen ATV was still in the Step 1 "preparing" phase, so I yanked out the Ethernet cable and then pulled the power cord. When I rebooted, the ATV came back up (I guess it hadn't overwritten anything yet), and is running ok.

So, the "last-chance-abort-while-running-the-update" brute force and ignorance option may possibly save you if you're still in Step 1 "preparing" the update. :wow:

• Reply 77 of 91
    Am I the only one who experienced NO problems with this update?
  • Reply 78 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

Am I the only one who experienced NO problems with this update?

if you are the only one then i'm more afraid now to update it.

• Reply 79 of 91
    cutykamu wrote: »
    if you are the only one then i'm more afraid now to update it. 3rd Gen.

He is not wine worked well flawlessly. Took some more time tha usual but fine. I used WiFi for this.
  • Reply 80 of 91
    cutykamu wrote: »
    if you are the only one then i'm more afraid now to update it.
    Or I'm the only one who spoke up. I could be the silent majority. Others who didn't have problems, please speak!