Apple sells out of initial iPhone 5s supply in under 2 days, shipments pushed to October

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 238
    Come off it.

Same way they’ve done it every other year since ought seven.

For now. Who knows; they could buy up a one of those firms or pay Qualcomm exorbitant sums to make a custom one.

They’re ALWAYS fearful. The trick is to give them a glass of warm milk and send them back to bed.

Really, what trend do you mean? A bigger screen?

Yes they have gone thinner but there comes a time when it's too thin and its thinness makes the device too fragile.

Throwing money at something doesn't always mean it can be done, c'mon I know that you know that.
  • Reply 222 of 238
    blackbook wrote: »

iWatch

I don't think that's it. I just can't see a watch selling like iPhones and iPads do.
  • Reply 223 of 238
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I don't think that's it. I just can't see a watch selling like iPhones and iPads do.

People said the same about iPads before they came out.

Don't underestimate Apple.
  • Reply 224 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nine million votes with the wallet in three days disprove the big screen theory once and for all.

Get over it.

That only holds so much water. I remember the waning days of the 4S, when everyone was arguing about the need for a 4" or larger screen. There were a lot of proponents of the 3.5" screen saying exactly the same thing you said above... and then the 5 was introduced.

• Reply 225 of 238
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

That was something to behold. The negativity surrounding the iPad launch was almost overwhelming.

• Reply 226 of 238
    blackbook wrote: »

I for one didn't. I already saw the popularity of eInk readers and knew that with the developers support that the iPad would be very successful.
  • Reply 227 of 238

The new iPhones aren't even available in New Zealand yet and the old iPhone 5 is still available for $1029 in most stores (although withdrawn from the NZ Apple Store).

I ordered a Silver 16GB iPhone 5s because I'm travelling to the US in 2 weeks for a conference so have arranged for it to be shipped to my resort in Reno.  I ordered it within 12 hours of going on sale and it still in Processing with an expected delivery date of 8-11 October.  My credit card hasn't been charged so I won't be surprised now if I have to cancel my order before leaving the country on 27 October.  I will be looking at Apple Stores in Reno and San Francisco to see if I can buy one in person and then cancel my online order.  Otherwise I'll have to return home empty-handed and wait for them to eventually be available here.

This latest iPhone model has motivated me to move from Android to Apple.  The iPhone 5c doesn't interest me at all - I don't like the pastel colours.  If I'm spending a significant amount of money on an my first iPhone (unlocked at $649) I would rather go the whole hog and get the absolute latest in terms of technology, i.e the faster processor and the fingerprint technology.

I'm also purchasing my first iPad at duty free - my Android tablet is so slow and with such poor battery life that I barely use it.

• Reply 228 of 238
    [quote name="jaydee" url="/t/159686/apple-sells-out-of-initial-iphone-5s-supply-in-under-2-days-shipments-pushed-to-october/200#post_2406068"

[QUOTE]I'm also purchasing my first iPad at duty free - my Android tablet is so slow and with such poor battery life that I barely use it.[/QUOTE]

Hold back on the iPad if you can! New models due to be announced in October... Faster, lighter,and the same price as this years model.

Hard to tell how the release dates for NZ will be after how they've done it for the iPhone, but I wouldn't want you to be gutted finding out the new better one is out a couple weeks after buying last years model at close to full price...

[QUOTE]I ordered a Silver 16GB iPhone 5s because I'm travelling to the US in 2 weeks for a conference so have arranged for it to be shipped to my resort in Reno.  I ordered it within 12 hours of going on sale and it still in Processing with an expected delivery date of 8-11 October.  My credit card hasn't been charged so I won't be surprised now if I have to cancel my order before leaving the country on 27 October.  I will be looking at Apple Stores in Reno and San Francisco to see if I can buy one in person and then cancel my online order.  Otherwise I'll have to return home empty-handed and wait for them to eventually be available here[/QUOTE]

Just make sure you buy the GSM model, and check it covers the right 4G network frequency for here.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I had a quick search, and found a bit of info, mainly for Aussie, but should be find some good guidance online.

Flick a reply to this or a private message if need a hand looking up more and I'll dig a bit more when got time.

Even if you're not planning on using 4G, make sure you get the right model for here. Prices will soon drop for 4G, and you'll hurt your resale value if you don't get it right..

Cheers.
  • Reply 229 of 238

Many thanks for that.  I've just had another look on the iPhone 5s page and see that they list the model numbers but there is nowhere in the online ordering process where I can specify which model I need.  http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s

My mobile plan is with 2 Degrees Mobile who run a 900MHz GSM network.  All of the models listed above include 90MHz but I think I'll get in touch with 2 Degrees now just to check that an iPhone purchased in the US will work on their network.

Thanks again for your advice.

Cheers, JD

• Reply 230 of 238
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaydee View Post

The new iPhones aren't even available in New Zealand yet and the old iPhone 5 is still available for $1029 in most stores (although withdrawn from the NZ Apple Store).

I ordered a Silver 16GB iPhone 5s because I'm travelling to the US in 2 weeks for a conference so have arranged for it to be shipped to my resort in Reno.  I ordered it within 12 hours of going on sale and it still in Processing with an expected delivery date of 8-11 October.  My credit card hasn't been charged so I won't be surprised now if I have to cancel my order before leaving the country on 27 October.  I will be looking at Apple Stores in Reno and San Francisco to see if I can buy one in person and then cancel my online order.  Otherwise I'll have to return home empty-handed and wait for them to eventually be available here.

This latest iPhone model has motivated me to move from Android to Apple.  The iPhone 5c doesn't interest me at all - I don't like the pastel colours.  If I'm spending a significant amount of money on an my first iPhone (unlocked at $649) I would rather go the whole hog and get the absolute latest in terms of technology, i.e the faster processor and the fingerprint technology.

I'm also purchasing my first iPad at duty free - my Android tablet is so slow and with such poor battery life that I barely use it.

Can't you divert via Australia and make a quick trip to an Apple store in between flights?

The iPhones are unlocked and you can claim a refund of the 10% GST at the airport on the way out.

• Reply 231 of 238
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iRon man View Post

Ha ha... Thanks. I'll agree to disagree.

Don't mistake my like for big screens as saying current size is bad. Just different people like different stuff.

But it's a big leap to say that anything to do with opening weekend sales proves anything to do with bigger screens when there wasn't even one on offer...

As per my comments on another thread:

Hard to back it up too (popularity comparisons) when you take into account that for the last few years Apple have sold out of every iPhone they've made.

It's possible and likely that they could've sold millions more this year if they could produce them in time.

Pretty impressive how they've managed to ramp up production this much each year, but hard to measure whether this years is more popular or just better stock levels.

Will be the same too (hard to tell if more popular or just better stock) if a big screen one is ever produced, unless they come out with two flagship models with exactly the same specs except screen size.

Again, don't mistake my opinions as saying yours are wrong. A few years ago a 55' telly was ridiculously huge and expensive, and people would say they were "obese", where as now it's more normal to have one, and people find pretty quickly that old smaller Telly's look awkwardly small.

I guess you don't have to worry though about carrying one round in your pocket or touching the screen with one hand width.

Each to their own. I'm still looking forward to a 5s as soon as I can get my hands on one (but I'd have to seriously think about selling it if a bigger screen comes out next year...)

Seeing as I own a Galaxy S4, iPhone 5 and a 5s and can use them side by side the size of the screen makes no real difference as far as usability goes.

As a matter of fact the iPhone wins out because it's easy to reach the entire screen when using it one handed which is the position Apple has taken since day one.

To reach the entire screen on the S4 you have to sort of jiggle it.

• Reply 232 of 238
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

iWatch

If it ain't Swiss, I'll give it a miss.

• Reply 233 of 238
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If it ain't Swiss, I'll give it a miss.

Great, now I want cocoa and the only canister of Swiss Miss I have is a metal one from Thailand.

Don’t ask.

• Reply 234 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That only holds so much water. I remember the waning days of the 4S, when everyone was arguing about the need for a 4" or larger screen. There were a lot of proponents of the 3.5" screen saying exactly the same thing you said above... and then the 5 was introduced.

Ah, but the width didn't change which retained the iPhone's one handed usability.

• Reply 235 of 238
    hill60 wrote: »
    Can't you divert via Australia and make a quick trip to an Apple store in between flights?

The iPhones are unlocked and you can claim a refund of the 10% GST at the airport on the way out.

How's the stock levels in store? With the price of airfares, it's a temptation to whip over for a quick trip to the apple store. Is it likely that would be taking the chance that apple store would be out of stock?
  • Reply 236 of 238
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iRon man View Post

How's the stock levels in store? With the price of airfares, it's a temptation to whip over for a quick trip to the apple store. Is it likely that would be taking the chance that apple store would be out of stock?

Probably best to call ahead

http://www.apple.com/au/retail/

I think Sydney stores are closer to the airport, Broadway and Bondi Junction are probably the closest not sure about Melbourne.

Online shows all models shipping in October.

• Reply 237 of 238
    Great, now I want cocoa and the only canister of Swiss Miss I have is a metal one from Thailand.

Don’t ask.

Any poppys of the opiate variety in that there canister? :lol:
  • Reply 238 of 238
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Any poppys of the opiate variety in that there canister? image

In? No. On? Possibly. Along with a lot of Thai print.