Apple announces sales of 9 million iPhone 5s & 5c units in first 3 days

13468911

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 219

    Wow grats Apple! Jesus, made my day too!

  • Reply 102 of 219
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,221member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    Some clown on CNBC just referred to these 9 million + as an "Apple army" and that lack of innovation will keep the stock down. image And then good old Peter Misek comes on to downplay these numbers and claim that growth is essentially flat and the products are too expensive for China, blah blah blah. Even the CNBC host has to stop him because he was talking so stupid. image



    Basically Wall Street got this wrong and rather than admit they got it wrong they're finding any way they can to downplay the numbers. What a bunch of losers. image

     

    Well thanks to those guys I bought at $484 and cover the puts of my straddle. Good timing for me really.  Planning to ride to next event and re-evaluated my positions at that time.

  • Reply 103 of 219
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    So what? Wall Street knew all of this and still were not predicting 9M sales. Plus I think it's pretty damn impressive regardless. Who else is able to sell that many phones that quickly? Didn't it take Samsung a month to get to 10M Galaxy S4's?

     

    Shipped... not sold.   ;)

  • Reply 104 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     

    Hey! The 2nd gen of the Microsoft Surface is being unveiled today! Anyone want to head over to the presentation? Anyone... Hello!


     

    No thanks. If it's anything like the last one, it's just too painful to watch.

  • Reply 105 of 219
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

     

     

    Not sure if sarcasm there, but why does it matter if the "more people" buying it are American or Chinese? Bottom line, Apple made more iPhones and sold more iPhones. There's no funny business in those numbers. 


     

    I think 9 million sold over 3 days is an amazing number, but the point some are trying to make here is that they did not sell more than last year because they are selling in more countries.

     

    It is a matter of perception.

     

    If you removed the new tier 1 release countries like China from the equation, how many iPhones will Apple have sold? That is the true number if you want to compare it with last year.

     

    Some are seeing it as buffing up the number by launching in more countries initially and then sales will taper off more rapidly because there are now less countries to pick up the slack in 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier etc launches.

     

    IF Apple were to sell 100 million phones this quarter. Will it make a difference if 9 million are sold in the first 3 days and the other 91 million in remaining quarter or if Apple sold 5 million in the first 3 days and the other 95 million in the remaining quarter? Both add up to 100 million but the first sounds alot better.

  • Reply 106 of 219
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Well, if you go back to previous threads you will see that whenever I or a few others said that the 5C would, at best, only sell as many phones as previous 2nd generation phones then you'll see the irrational responses by quite a few members who said the 5c would be a blow-out seller. Sorry... 2 million is not a blow-out seller [for an iPhone]. 6 million units of the 5s is a blow-out seller.

    List all the phones on the planet which sold 2 M in 3 days. I would guess that there are a couple of iPhones, maybe one or two Galaxy models.

    Now, consider that every one of those (with the 5C being the sole exception) was a new generation phone offering new features and the latest internals. The 5C is using previous generation internals - and is AFAIK the only phone EVER to sell that many on launch weekend with previous generation internals.

    So, yes, by any rational standard, sales were excellent.

    And, no, I refuse to be measured by someone who thought the 5C would be a blow-out seller. I'm simply debunking the whining of people like you who consider it to be a flop because it sold 'only' 2 M units in 3 days.

    rogifan wrote: »
    I guess the argument is numbers were just shifted by adding two additional launch countries. But so what? The fact remains everyone knew there were two additional launch countries and still no one was predicting 9M sales. Apple clearly blew past most people's explanations.

    Additional launch countries is really a red herring. Apple sold every one they had on hand and is backordered by millions of units. If they hadn't added the additional countries, they would have had more on hand for the US and other countries - and would have sold them, anyway.
  • Reply 107 of 219

    I hope this announcement will make everyone sleep better, at least for one night, and stop bickering, at least for one day. Clearly, Apple's product management strategy is once again on the mark.

  • Reply 108 of 219
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    I guess the argument is numbers were just shifted by adding two additional launch countries. But so what? The fact remains everyone knew there were two additional launch countries and still no one was predicting 9M sales. Apple clearly blew past most people's explanations.




    Additional launch countries is really a red herring. Apple sold every one they had on hand and is backordered by millions of units. If they hadn't added the additional countries, they would have had more on hand for the US and other countries - and would have sold them, anyway.

    Perhaps this informs us it is absurd to bicker while guess-timating what the sales numbers might be? Perhaps this shows that it is silly to take argumentative stands and refuse to budge, all of while calling each other dumb?

  • Reply 109 of 219
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shard View Post

     

     

    I think 9 million sold over 3 days is an amazing number, 


     

    It sure is.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shard View Post

     

     

    I think 9 million sold over 3 days is an amazing number, but the point some are trying to make here is that they did not sell more than last year because they are selling in more countries.


    Why do we care what contrarian views say? Why are people here so determined to argue each other out of their positions when everyone is pretty much intransigent?

  • Reply 110 of 219

    Where are you guys getting the 2 million iPhone 5c numbers, you are arguing over a made up number pulled out of someones ass.

  • Reply 111 of 219
    I'd like to know what that 9 million includes. Is it actual deliveries of phones or does that number include the website orders that won't be delivered for 7-10 days. I always thought the 5 million number put out was the number of phones actually available on the first weekend the phones were available. If they delivered 9 million phones unbelievable. If that 9 million includes unfilled orders, still impressive, but not as impressive.
  • Reply 112 of 219
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post



    Well, if you go back to previous threads you will see that whenever I or a few others said that the 5C would, at best, only sell as many phones as previous 2nd generation phones then you'll see the irrational responses by quite a few members who said the 5c would be a blow-out seller. Sorry... 2 million is not a blow-out seller [for an iPhone]. 6 million units of the 5s is a blow-out seller.


     


    List all the phones on the planet which sold 2 M in 3 days. I would guess that there are a couple of iPhones, maybe one or two Galaxy models.

     

    How do we know 5c only sold 2M units?

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     
    The real test for the 5c will be the Christmas crowd. I think you'll be seeing a lot of 7 - 13 year old kids with color iPhones in January.


     

     

    Not a test. It will just be a cool observation. You're taking the joy out of this by *judging* Apple based on hypothetical tests when neither you nor anyone else is qualified to do so.

  • Reply 113 of 219
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by murman View Post

     

    Where are you guys getting the 2 million iPhone 5c numbers, you are arguing over a made up number pulled out of someones ass.


     

    This.

  • Reply 114 of 219

    Incredible results! Congrats to all who own shares of AAPL! :)

     

    And no, Apple should not lower any of their prices, because three cheap bastards on the internet demanded that they should.

  • Reply 115 of 219
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by murman View Post

     

    Where are you guys getting the 2 million iPhone 5c numbers, you are arguing over a made up number pulled out of someones ass.


     

    Exactly.

     

    Apple has never broken out sales number by model, and they never will.

  • Reply 116 of 219
    snappsny wrote: »
    I'd like to know what that 9 million includes. Is it actual deliveries of phones or does that number include the website orders that won't be delivered for 7-10 days. I always thought the 5 million number put out was the number of phones actually available on the first weekend the phones were available. If they delivered 9 million phones unbelievable. If that 9 million includes unfilled orders, still impressive, but not as impressive.

    It's what was delivered/available over the weekend. It doesn't include back orders (ie future ship dates)
  • Reply 117 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post



    And, no, I refuse to be measured by someone who thought the 5C would be a blow-out seller. I'm simply debunking the whining of people like you who consider it to be a flop because it sold 'only' 2 M units in 3 days.

     

    Go suck a lemon.

     

    I have never ever said the 5C is a flop. I said it wouldn't sell as well as some here predicted.

  • Reply 118 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post



    I find it hard to believe. I believe is not selling as well as described above and that Apple and blogs try to create hype to boost sales. Also I believe Apple intentionally released The iPhones with low inventory so that can show that it is sold out. The new iPhones are the worst upgrades ever and iOS7 is slow and lagging. The OS reminds me of a clown OS and Fisher Price toys.

    I think some bridge is missing you there, bud.

     

    Another Samsung hack no doubt....

  • Reply 119 of 219
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I just hopped on cnet's website and its wall to wall coverage of the new Surface tablet. Not one mention on the first page about iPhone sales. Just complete surface hype even though they didn't announce anything people didn't announce anything that wasn't predicted and the design is basically the same (something Apple always gets knocked for) except now it also comes in white (ooh so original). Talk about bias. Obviously Wall Street doesn't care as the stock is flat so far today.
  • Reply 120 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

     

    How do we know 5c only sold 2M units?

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     
    The real test for the 5c will be the Christmas crowd. I think you'll be seeing a lot of 7 - 13 year old kids with color iPhones in January.


     

     

    Not a test. It will just be a cool observation. You're taking the joy out of this by *judging* Apple based on hypothetical tests when neither you nor anyone else is qualified to do so.


     

    Well, a few people seem to not be able to read. I said "if" the data is correct (there's another article on AI and a few other places that show data suggesting that the 5s sold 3.4 to 3.7 X more units than the 5c) then it appears that around 2 million 5c units were sold.

     

    I'm not sucking the joy out of anything. Quit your whining.

Sign In or Register to comment.