Apple announces sales of 9 million iPhone 5s & 5c units in first 3 days

Comments

• Reply 141 of 219
    drblank wrote: »
    Hey, did you notice (probably not) that Microsoft just announced a new Surface Pro 2 tablet? It's now got a TWO position kick stand!!!!!!!!!! Instead of it going click, it goes Click, Click.

OMG Hold back the lines of people trampling over each other to buy them!!!!

Dude, they figured out why no one bought the Surface: it was called RT and it only had a one position kick stand. These tablets with kickstands and keyboards will someday evolve into... laptops. OMG, the future is already here! :lol:
  • Reply 142 of 219
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

It was interesting to read the Apple Hater reactions on CNET. They fell in to 2 categories: insults ("iSheep", "9 million idiots"" etc) and denial ("9 million divided by TWO new phones = 4.5 million each, less than last year!", "Without the addition of China on launch day they would have sold less than last year!" etc)

Without official numbers to go by it is unclear how many 5s models were sold in total. All we know is last year they sold every iPhone 5 they could make and this year they sold every 5s they could make. Whether they were able to make more 5s models this year than iPhone 5 models last year is unknown but I would speculate at least the same but probably a far greater quantity. Is seems pretty likely that this year would have set a record even if there was no 5c. The fact that there were extra countries this year is irrelevant because they could not meet demand even in the former top tier countries. 

• Reply 143 of 219
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    yeah, eight articles about the new Surface! (ok there are two versions)! the lead article headline is:
    <h1 style="border:0px;clear:both;color:rgb(57,67,76);margin-bottom:7px;margin-top:5px;padding-bottom:0px;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;">[SIZE=18px]Surface 2 declassified: How Microsoft made Surface into the tablet the world said it wanted[/SIZE]</h1>

gush much?
    we can compare this with its coverage of the new iPads launch next month ...
    cnet is in Microsoft's pocket, the Verge is in Google's. Apple ignores them all and still sells more product than anyone else.

It's so obvious that the media is hyping these new Surface tablets because they desperately want something to take on the iPad. If this was an Apple launch they'd be complaining about the incremental update, how the design looks the same, not enough new features, etc. So hypocritical.
  • Reply 144 of 219
    mstone wrote: »
    Without official numbers to go by it is unclear how many 5s models were sold in total. All we know is last year they sold every iPhone 5 they could make and this year they sold every 5s they could make. Whether they were able to make more 5s models this year than iPhone 5 models last year is unknown but I would speculate at least the same but probably a far greater quantity. Is seems pretty likely that this year would have set a record even if there was no 5c. The fact that there were extra countries this year is irrelevant because they could not meet demand even in the former top tier countries. 
    Exactly. Go online right now and a 5S won't ship until October. We know the stores had limited supplies. Sure Apple is pushing the 5C hard but I doubt they're expecting initial sales to be off the charts. However you look at it it's impressive. The Wall Street clowns are just trying to downplay it because their estimates were so wrong.
  • Reply 145 of 219
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's what was delivered/available over the weekend. It doesn't include back orders (ie future ship dates)

What's your source on that? Apple's press release says 9 million sold, not 9 million delivered. It specifically mentions that stock was exhausted and the remaining orders will be delivered on the coming weeks.

• Reply 146 of 219
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So are all the people who pissed on Cook based on rumors of "grotesquely low supply" gonna take back what they said, admit they jumped to conclusions based on rumor horse-shit, and apologize? Of course not. They'll do the same thing @ the next hint of a negative rumor, never giving Apple or Cook the benefit of the doubt, even after the company has proven itself time and time again. 

9 million is an incredible number, both in terms of sales, and the ability to actually manufacture and ship that many at launch. It's a feat no other company on the planet can even hope to come close to. I hope people can actually get some perspective and contest, instead of raging at Apple's supposed incompetence if they personally couldn't get a new iPhone the very second it came out. 

With China Mobile's new rumored deal, Apple is going to have absolutely monster sales this QTR. It will be ridiculous. 

Or, in the eyes of analysts and Apple haters, maybe they'll manage to "survive" another quarter. 

• Reply 147 of 219
    Wall Street Analysts - FAIL

Perhaps the Wall Street crowd should look into a new line of work, perhaps something in the fast food services industry.
  • Reply 148 of 219
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    How do we know 5c only sold 2M units?

Let's see.

Apple announces that they sold 9 M of the two new phones.

Reports are that the 5S was 3.4 to 3.7 times as many as the 5C.

Do the math.
  • Reply 149 of 219
    richl wrote: »
    What's your source on that? Apple's press release says 9 million sold, not 9 million delivered. It specifically mentions that stock was exhausted and the remaining orders will be delivered on the coming weeks.

Apple's accounting methods. Also payment isn't transferred until the item is shipped to the end user.
  • Reply 150 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

How do we know 5c only sold 2M units?

Let's see.

Do the math.

I think that survey was largely USA centric as the chart was all about US carrier numbers. The global numbers may be significantly different, however, the notion that 5c is not as likely as 5s to be the choice of early adopters is probably accurate. It remains to be seen how the broader scope of normal non-tech buyers will factor in. The 5c may be off to a slow start but could very well gain considerable momentum as the holiday season approaches, as others have mentioned.

• Reply 151 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think that survey was largely USA centric as the chart was all about US carrier numbers. The global numbers may be significantly different, however, the notion that 5c is not as likely as 5s to be the choice of early adopters is probably accurate. It remains to be seen how the broader scope of normal non-tech buyers will factor in. The 5c may be off to a slow start but could very well gain considerable momentum as the holiday season approaches, as others have mentioned.

The data was global. Early numbers from the data say that the 5s outsold the 5c at a rate of 5 to 1 in Japan.

Tallest Skil said that the 5c was priced to sell the 5s... or something like that. I thought it was a novel opinion at the time but it may appear to be right.

(I can't believe I just said that.)

• Reply 152 of 219
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

The new iOS 7 look became familiar in short order and the faster interface on my 5 is noticeable and welcome. Well worth the slightly longer than 20 minute download and install! :) Very few apps have had any trouble, but I have had a few crashes on my iPad 3 (none on my iPhone 5) can't wait to give it a go with my incoming 5s!

It'll be interesting to see how the additional phone type expands the market for Apple as frankly I'm amazed at the 5s performance as the early adopters would, like me, mostly face having to turn over their barely a year old 5. Though the 4s at the end of it's two year contract will contribute going forward I'd expect, but they wouldn't be day one people necessarily or they'd have a 5.

• Reply 153 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The data was global. Early numbers from the data say that the 5s outsold the 5c at a rate of 5 to 1 in Japan.

I see. At first I didn't follow the link to the original article. Even so, it is difficult to gauge the long term popularity of the 5c since launch weekend is mostly about hard core Apple fans who would pay $300+ early termination fee and eat nothing but Ramen noodles for a month just to be able to have an iPhone 5s on launch day. 5c buyers are going to be of a different ilk.

• Reply 154 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see.

Do the math.

Reports are ...? Why do we trust some reports and characterize others as trashy rumours? Because we cherry-pick *evidence* that support our pre-scripted narrative. The fact is - we DON'T KNOW how many 5c and 5s units were sold. There is no math to do except to count how many intransigent people there are here.

• Reply 155 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I just hopped on cnet's website and its wall to wall coverage of the new Surface tablet. Not one mention on the first page about iPhone sales. Just complete surface hype even though they didn't announce anything people didn't announce anything that wasn't predicted and the design is basically the same (something Apple always gets knocked for) except now it also comes in white (ooh so original). Talk about bias. Obviously Wall Street doesn't care as the stock is flat so far today.

Microsoft is a partial owner of CNET.

• Reply 156 of 219

Offtopic: With the impending release of AMD's new GCN 2.0 GPGPU discrete GPUs and that the new flag ship is 40% < in price compared to Nvidia's Titan while outperforming it we can expect the Mac Pro and iMac lines to just stomp this year.

• Reply 157 of 219
    "Together, the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c represented 1.36 percent of all iPhones activated in the U.S. through carriers AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. The iPhone 5s represents 1.05 percent of all U.S. iPhones, while the iPhone 5c accounts for 0.31 percent."

Remember when Jobs presented iPhone 1 back in 2007 and he wanted to capture 1% of the smartphone market in the first year. How times have changed.

Congrats to team Apple. Job's greatest achievement wasn't the iDevices but the company he built, the culture he instilled and the people he put in charge. **** the analysts.
  • Reply 158 of 219

Gene Munster is a hoot.  He was so far off in his prediction that he's now out there claiming 3-4M of the 9M is stuffing the channel with 5C's.  Of course he just pulled that number out of his ass just to make his prediction seem accurate. :lol:

• Reply 159 of 219
    shard wrote: »
    I think 9 million sold over 3 days is an amazing number, but the point some are trying to make here is that they did not sell more than last year because they are selling in more countries.

It is a matter of perception.

If you removed the new tier 1 release countries like China from the equation, how many iPhones will Apple have sold? That is the true number if you want to compare it with last year.

So, basically, the total demand for the iPhone doesn't matter? Fandroid logic: a win isn't a win with "creative accounting"! The story here is that lots of people want the "but but but 4-inch" iPhone. The "but but but where's the innovation?" iPhone. The "but but but stale iOS 7" iPhone. Yeah that phone.
  • Reply 160 of 219
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So, basically, the total demand for the iPhone doesn't matter? Fandroid logic: a win isn't a win with "creative accounting"! The story here is that lots of people want the "but but but 4-inch" iPhone. The "but but but where's the innovation?" iPhone. The "but but but stale iOS 7" iPhone. Yeah that phone.

Fandroids have a problem combining sales of 2 new iPhones models, but no problem whatsoever combining sales of every single Android device on every single version sold by every single company on the planet, down to $40 feature phones in China, when they want to pump their chest about how incredible "Android" is doing, even if "Android" is not making any more, nor money for 90% of the companies that use it.