Analysts react to Apple's iPhone 5s and 5c launch weekend sales

12346»

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 106
    sector7g wrote: »
    i hope tim cook notices how poorly the 5C did, apple customers dont want cheap plastic, they want high end, android has the low end market locked down

    First of all there are no facts to back up this "poor" showing. Secondly, it's been three days. Thirdly, even if reports are remotely true, how is it poor compared to non-iPhones on the initial weekend? Fourthly, it's not the flagship phone. So most of the public won't buy it in the first weekend. Fifthly, did I mention it was three days?
  • Reply 102 of 106
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,376member
    jungmark wrote: »
    even if reports are remotely true, how is it poor compared to non-iPhones on the initial weekend?
    More Importantly how does it compare to the 4S during the 5 introduction?

    Sorry, The more I think about it, and see Apple's ridiculous monotone color billboards around town, the more I think they missed the timing here. They should have introduced the plastic colored case when they introduced the iPhone 4, a natural evolution from the 3G/S. Now it just feels like a step backward, and people will react to that, especially when Apple is charging premium prices for it, and pushing the new "gold" standard. If vanity is now a marketing point for Apple's flagship technology, then doesn't candy-colored plastic lose to elegant gold every time?

    I don't really see the 4S doing very well either, except for perhaps ATT who will continue to legally deceive people that their 4S is "4G", a claim Verizon and Sprint and the others cannot make. When given the choice of a 3G iPhone and a 4G LTE Android, for the same price, I don't really see people ruminating on the choice long.

    So iPhone users are relegated to ultra-low end technology, but beautifully crafted steel and glass 4S, or ultra-high end to get the same build. The 5c is the only iPhone that competes with the Android offerings on price, but it's not likely to appeal to the same crowd at all. I doubt we'll see many in the boardroom.

    It's almost like Apple had a focus group where a large group of image-conscious iPhone users complained that they were paying a premium for the latest phone and it didnt look any different than the last year's cheaper phone. Maybe they could have made plastic work, but deliberately not offering a more professional version in black does not seem like a smart move.

    Time will tell of course, and Apple has so much money they can afford to make a big mistake. But As of July, the 5 was taking in just 52% of sales, the 4S 30%, and the 4 18%. I doubt the 5c and 4S will do as well. And maybe that's the point. Maybe it's not listening to a vain faction of its user base, but rather, despite Cook's denials that he fears product cannibalization; the 5 did not sell as well as the 4S did compared to the 4 & 3GS. So now he's forcing the customers hand with antiquated technology and candy-coatings.
  • Reply 103 of 106
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post
    i hope tim cook notices how poorly the 5C did

     

    I hope you notice how wrong you are.

  • Reply 104 of 106
    mac_128 wrote: »
    More Importantly how does it compare to the 4S during the 5 introduction?

    Sorry, The more I think about it, and see Apple's ridiculous monotone color billboards around town, the more I think they missed the timing here. They should have introduced the plastic colored case when they introduced the iPhone 4, a natural evolution from the 3G/S. Now it just feels like a step backward, and people will react to that, especially when Apple is charging premium prices for it, and pushing the new "gold" standard. If vanity is now a marketing point for Apple's flagship technology, then doesn't candy-colored plastic lose to elegant gold every time?

    I don't really see the 4S doing very well either, except for perhaps ATT who will continue to legally deceive people that their 4S is "4G", a claim Verizon and Sprint and the others cannot make. When given the choice of a 3G iPhone and a 4G LTE Android, for the same price, I don't really see people ruminating on the choice long.

    So iPhone users are relegated to ultra-low end technology, but beautifully crafted steel and glass 4S, or ultra-high end to get the same build. The 5c is the only iPhone that competes with the Android offerings on price, but it's not likely to appeal to the same crowd at all. I doubt we'll see many in the boardroom.

    It's almost like Apple had a focus group where a large group of image-conscious iPhone users complained that they were paying a premium for the latest phone and it didnt look any different than the last year's cheaper phone. Maybe they could have made plastic work, but deliberately not offering a more professional version in black does not seem like a smart move.

    Time will tell of course, and Apple has so much money they can afford to make a big mistake. But As of July, the 5 was taking in just 52% of sales, the 4S 30%, and the 4 18%. I doubt the 5c and 4S will do as well. And maybe that's the point. Maybe it's not listening to a vain faction of its user base, but rather, despite Cook's denials that he fears product cannibalization; the 5 did not sell as well as the 4S did compared to the 4 & 3GS. So now he's forcing the customers hand with antiquated technology and candy-coatings.

    The 5C isn't for the techies, fanboys, the rich or the boardroom type. Fact is the % of those consumers is probably < 30%. Those folks will buy the 5S.

    The 5C is for those willing to take a look at iOS. Those folks are feature phone buyers, teens, android/blackberry/WinMob refugees, those that don't need the latest and greatest tech. That is the majority of consumers.

    As for the % portfolio of iPhone models, Apple wants the 5S to be top dog. You can't really compare % y to y as the total number of sales is ever increasing.
  • Reply 105 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

     

    Apple did awesome. But I think the 5c sales show that the 5c might be overpriced. I think Apple could have made it about $50-$100 cheaper and it would have done a lot better. There is no reason for the 5c to ever be priced the same as the 5s (which happens at the $200 level).

     

    Although that may be part of Apple's upsell strategy, and low 5s yields are the driver behind them marketing the 5c so heavily.


     

    I think the choices look a bit different if you compare them at their actual price:

    - 4s, 8 GB    -> $450


    - 5c, 16 GB  -> $549


    - 5c, 32 GB  -> $649


    - 5s, 16 GB  -> $649

    - 5s, 32 GB  -> $749

    - 5s, 64 GB  -> $849

     


    Going from zero to $200 looks different than going from $450 to $650. 

  • Reply 106 of 106
    Looks like China Mobile deal is just around the corner! Apple is no dummy, unlike what at the WS wizzels and ANALyst claims to think! Apple already know that they have this quarter in the bag. They will announce the deal on October 1st - Day after Tim's meet with Ichan and also start of the new quarter. Along with new product announcements in next quarter they are going to blow the quarter. I can just watch all those negative ANALyst jumping out of their windows for being so wrong and stupid about Apple.
Sign In or Register to comment.