Microsoft signals it's committed to Surface hardware for the long haul

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    So no one is going to buy this. You announced it and then told everyone they are working on an even better one. Thanks Einstein, you just called your new product antiquated and irrelevant.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    I seem to remember them being "committed" to the Zune too. And before that, they were "committed" to the Plays For Sure audio format.
  • Reply 23 of 60

Good thing the Xbox One will make tons of money...to pay for the Surface losing tons of money! Way to break even Mr. Gates!

• Reply 24 of 60
    Announcing Surface RT 3 and Surface Pro 3, now with three position kickstand!

j/k ... or at least I hope I am.

And yet they may go through all Kamasutra positions with their Kickstand.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Microsoft HAS to keep trying while it is still making money in general.  Tablets will continue to take market share away from PCs as consumer devices.  if MS doesn't continue Windows Licenses through tablet, they will eventually cease to make money or at least cease to grow.  One more device revolution and they could become the next RIM/Blackberry.  They have to try.  

I'm not saying they will ever succeed, but never is a long time and MS has a lot of money.

• Reply 26 of 60
    Just like they were committed to the Zune? Just like they were committed to the Kin? Just like they were committed to Plays-for-Sure? Just like they were committed to MSN TV (you know, the one that's ceasing to operate next week)?
  • Reply 27 of 60

This will just give their new CEO Elop an excuse to use his 'Platform is on Fire' speech all over again.  

He will be a friggin genius.

• Reply 28 of 60
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Two releases is a commitment for the long haul? Mean, like the Zune? They had 5 years of releases before they ditched it. For the LONG haul.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    I am guessing MS has about a 50/50 chance of carving out a stable minority position in the tablet market. If they stick with it and make the ecosystem more robust. The brand still has value in the minds of high level old guard IT execs. They will keep it alive. This assumes the Windows Phone also survives.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "Microsoft signals it's committed to Surface hardware for the long haul"

Why does this make me think of zombies clawing their way out of a grave?
  • Reply 31 of 60
    jkichline wrote: »
    So no one is going to buy this. You announced it and then told everyone they are working on an even better one. Thanks Einstein, you just called your new product antiquated and irrelevant.

You have to wonder don't you? Is anyone there sane? :no:
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Committed right up to they dump it.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    mwhiteco wrote: »
    STUPID is as STUPID does:lol:

I'd rather have a box of chocolates! :D
  • Reply 34 of 60
    I am guessing MS has about a 50/50 chance of carving out a stable minority position in the tablet market. If they stick with it and make the ecosystem more robust. The brand still has value in the minds of high level old guard IT execs. They will keep it alive. This assumes the Windows Phone also survives.

What brand? The tablet, desktop and phone all have incompatible OS, even while MS calls them the same thing? Also, IT is NOT committed to touch Windows yet.

I do agree with you about the old guard IT executives, but with BYOD alive and growing, the old guard is seeing the waves of change washing away their foundation.
  • Reply 35 of 60

So, per the headline, one has to assume that the new incoming Microsoft CEO has committed to a long haul Surface?

And he won't be empowered to go in some other direction?

This is stupid.

• Reply 36 of 60

Same sh*t, different enclosure + keyboard.

Microsoft learned decades ago to stick with something until the 3.1 release.

Remember Windows 3.1?  In case you don't, it was the first usable version of Windows.

Now Microsoft usually doesn't give up on a bad product until years have passed.

E.g. Zune.  But yeah, credit to Microsoft for dumping KIN after just a few weeks.

So now we're at version 2.0 of Surface and Surface Pro.

And I suppose version 3.0 and 3.1 will arrive some time in 2014.  Probably post-Ballmer.

I wonder if there will be another $1 billion Surface write-down between now and then.

• Reply 37 of 60
    I told you they were stubborn. It's worked for them before. They're waiting around for [S]IBM[/S] [S]Lotus[/S] [S]Netscape[/S] [S]Palm[/S] [S]Sony[/S] Apple to screw up.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    "Microsoft signals it's committed to Surface hardware for the long haul"

Why does this make me think of zombies clawing their way out of a grave?

If at first you don't succeed, try again with more kickstand positions!
  • Reply 39 of 60
    But that DJ interface is so cool... then again, so is this...

http://www.akaipro.com/mpc-fly-30

nice try MS.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    "You're only going to see more and better come from the Surface team."
    We assumed you wouldn't give up that easy, and good lord, it would have to be better!
    "This team is crazy."
    Yeah, we were gonna give you that one too.
    "If you do (break into the device), you can have my roadmap,"
    Talk about a gift no one wants!
    Microsoft brought in a number of real-world users to talk about why they use the company's touchscreen tablets.
    That was brave, if there had been a bus accident, they could have wiped out every last person in their user base.