ABC, WSJ bloggers explain Apple's record iPhone launch numbers are bad news

Comments

• Reply 41 of 145

It was announced today that Apple has found a cure for cancer. Pundits quickly pointed out not to put too much into it and that the news is actually bad news for oncologists.  

• Reply 42 of 145
    Oh Sandy. You say that you won't be able to write anymore without a physical keyboard on your device. I sincerely hope you keep your promise.
  • Reply 43 of 145
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Come on this was a really good article by a senior news producer at ABC News!  I think they know a LOT more than we do about the News.  Seriously.

I like some of the other articles written by the same author, such as:

"Why Winning the $40M Mega Millions Lottery Could Be Terrible For Your Household Finances"

"Why Winning the World Series Could Be A Huge Disaster for the Giants"

"Why NOT Selling Any Surface Tablets Means Microsoft is Actually the #1 Tablet Maker in the World"

"Why the Color Red Is Actually The Color Green In Disguise"

I will bookmark these articles, save them as pdf's, and remind their authors of their GLOOM predictions after Apple reports its next quarterly sales of iPhones lol.

• Reply 44 of 145
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

I actually like this idea that the number of countries you launch in makes your sales figures suspect. So, since Samsung routinely launches in 3 times as many countries simultaneously as Apple, we need to divide all its launch numbers by 3 to make things fair. And since Samsung sells phones in twice as many regions as Apple, we should cut its overall sales figures in half. Fair is fair.

• Reply 45 of 145
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The same day that Apple reported a record 9 million iPhone sales for its launch weekend, a Blackberry enthusiast writing for ABC News spun the numbers as "a cause for concern," while a Wall Street Journal blogger followed up with a warning not to read too much into it.

Cannold wrote, "it seems like Apple is now trying to squeeze every last bit of profit it can out of an aging, shall we call it, iStone." This, because the iPhone is not an entirely new product category, but merely "an upgrade, a refresh, dare I say a sequel."

One of a dwindling group of Blackberry disciples, bitter that their beloved BB/RIM is now circling the drain...

• Reply 46 of 145
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I commented on the ABC news article 2 days ago and was number 37th. I wonder how many comments are up there now, must be a lot

• Reply 47 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Its all hype then. Well android sets are better looking strictly at specs. Hopefully Apple will deliver an amazing iPhone 6.

Really? What specs? Heck, the Galaxy S4 barely surpassed the year old iPhone5 when it was released a month ago.

The iPhone 5s absolutely crushes the latest Androids. Crushes them so bad that Samsung went out and released a press statement Osborning their current product ("Hey, we will have 64 bit soon too!!!").

• Reply 48 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

One of a dwindling group of Blackberry disciples, bitter that their beloved BB/RIM is now circling the drain...

I can't get over a Blackberry enthusiast complaining about innovation at any other company... (except maybe Moto and the Razr).

• Reply 49 of 145
    stylorouge wrote: »
    Its all hype then. Well android sets are better looking strictly at specs. Hopefully Apple will deliver an amazing iPhone 6.

Read the previous article about usability. You can have a atomic bomb in your phone for everyone care. If it doesn't work , it doesn't. I guess too many people grow up being fool by Intel created market plot from decades ago. Spec is only one piece in the much bigger picture. And BTW a world first 64 bit SoC in an elegant thin and light device. Find me another one today, please.
  • Reply 50 of 145
    My guess is these so called "analysts" are just trying to drive the price down so they can get in at a cheaper price.

So surprised people have jobs for talking shat about a company simply for manipulation - especially how wrong some of them are!
  • Reply 51 of 145
    Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Well android sets are better looking strictly at specs.

Yeah, no. Not at all. Did you even see the iPhone 5S?

• Reply 52 of 145
    Nothing wrong about this article and comments, and I do agree with what's been said. Regardless, I'd like to point out that Wall Street has its own agenda, and so do people writing for this. It's all about stock price. And predictions whether it goes up or down. It is totally unrelated to sales numbers, revenue, profit. And definitely unrelated to the quality or level of innovation of the products. It's kind of unrelated to what most people consider the real life. Investors aren't like that. They just want to know one thing. Is the stock price going up or down. And that is what these guys are writing about.
    Some false assumptions. Certainly. Stupid actually. But the entire stock market is. Irrational. Not making sense. But understandable from a certain point of view.
  • Reply 53 of 145
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They forgot to mention Steve's most important industry game changer - The Reality Distortion Field. Apple didn't actually sell 9 million iPhones, they used 'Jobisan' mind manipulation to force people to queue up for the new iPhone. Totally unfair tactic and should be illegal. /s

Perhaps we should re-consider what exactly is a "Reality Distortion Field," who is creating them, and who is currently living in them...

• Reply 54 of 145

Dicks.

• Reply 55 of 145

I see the fall of the West.

It is called Wall Street.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

For everything Apple achieves there will be those who try to turn it into something bad and Wall Street backs it up. Apple has been backing the wrong people all this time or certainly making a long list of enemies. Maybe Apple needs to buy off some politicians or start creating charitable organizations to get back some credibility. How about Apple buying a couple of news media companies to start pumping out positive news for itself? I'm at a loss at what Apple needs to do to get some respect from big investors. It just doesn't seem like it's going to ever happen.

Apple biz strategy is a slap in the face of the wall street mindset.

That is all.

Period.

• Reply 56 of 145
    So since iPad was revealed 3 years after iPhone, Apple is long overdue to reinvent the wheel? By that logic they have until 2016 to release a watch/TV. (3 years from iMac-iPod, 6 years iPod-iPhone, 3 Years iPhone-iPad, 6 years-the next gamechanger. They just want to bash Apple and are running out of logical ideas. Perhaps they want Apple to join the race to the bottom like the TV industry or the netbook industry. Perhaps they only see value in market share and not profits. Perhaps they're overpaid morons.
    The fact is Apple will sell a gazillion phones, tablets, etc. this year and beyond and make healthy margins on all of them. Rather than pump out a half-baked clunkwatch, they will make a well engineered biometric device incorporating features of thier other devices. Apple is not going to tarnish thier reputation by putting anything out that isn't ready. Companies like Samsung don't have so much at stake.
  • Reply 57 of 145
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    ifrank wrote: »
    Nothing wrong about this article and comments, and I do agree with what's been said. Regardless, I'd like to point out that Wall Street has its own agenda, and so do people writing for this. It's all about stock price. And predictions whether it goes up or down. It is totally unrelated to sales numbers, revenue, profit. And definitely unrelated to the quality or level of innovation of the products. It's kind of unrelated to what most people consider the real life. Investors aren't like that. They just want to know one thing. Is the stock price going up or down. And that is what these guys are writing about.
    Some false assumptions. Certainly. Stupid actually. But the entire stock market is. Irrational. Not making sense. But understandable from a certain point of view.

These guys are NOT writing about the stock price they are trying to manipulate the stock price by spreading lies, misinformation and doubt. Abbreviated - pure FUD.
    They should be jailed for their actions and sued.
  • Reply 58 of 145
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Although the analysts are dopes and most of the iPhone 5Cs did probably sell through. As has been exhaustively pointed out in the comments Apples sales are sales to channel, or online sales. DED is as bad as the other side when it comes to misrepresentation.
  • Reply 59 of 145
    Black is white, white is black. Up is down. Left is right.

"They've sold TOO many phones. That could be a problem."

The stupidity of these so-called industry "experts" is mind-boggling.

Advice to Cannold - lose some weight so you fingers won't be so fat. Stop expecting the world to change to suit YOUR needs.
  • Reply 60 of 145
    I believe Munster got confirmation that the 9m number includes channel build up but Apple clearly didn't sell 9m into the inventory channels.

Here are some constraints...

Total sales = 5s sell through 5c sell through 5s inventory buildup 5c inventory buildup
    5s inventory buildup 5c inventory buildup = 10m (from this article "without selling a single device")

Sell in numbers == sell through numbers if the products are sold out. You can't build up inventory if everything is sold immediately. Given that's the case with the iphone5s we can conclude that the 10m in channel inventory that Apple could report "without selling a single device" is actually considerably smaller since there is no channel inventory for the 5s (5s inventory buildup = 0). In addition you'd have to consider that the 5s is selling significantly more then the 5c so if Apple's channel inventory is 10m for 4 weeks you'd have to think that 7-8m of that inventory belongs to the 5s of which there is no channel build up (5s inventory buildup = 7/8m). The 5c also experienced shortages over the weekend so the 2-3m left that could be attributed to the channel buildup of the 5c will be eaten up there as well. So say 1-1.5m ended up filling the 5c channel inventory. Sell through would then be around 7.5-8m.

I don't think Munster is that far off actually.