Rumor: Apple working on 12" iPad with partner manufacturer Quanta

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83

Sounds great! I'll take a 12" gold iPad to go, please. Hopefully it includes iOS 8, with a whole new look, because iOS 7 is ugly as sin.

• Reply 42 of 83
    They have the 13" screens, may as well.
    There was a rumour some time back that they had a MacBook running on an Apple A chip and that it was running ok.
    Assuming that was right, with the increased output of the new A chips, maybe it could run OSX in a reasonable fashion.
    Count me in either way. I'll take a mini and a maxi.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Add a pressure sensitive pen and I'll be all over it.

An accurate pressure sensitive pen and a 10ms refresh rate so when you draw, it doesn't lag like it does now. That would be awesome.

• Reply 45 of 83
    If this trend continues, after a few years we will have the iPad Surface - the Surface that Microsoft originally envisaged - the table touch screen tablet!

Microsoft will get all worked-up and try to release the original Surface, marketing it as 'the first one'.

A week after the announcement, they announce a buy back program for the iPad table tablet for Microsoft Store gift cards.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    The Ideal World shopping channel in the UK have already started selling 13" android tablets for £199. They looked absolutely huge and the presenters couldn't hold them comfortably to use, but they sold out within minutes.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I'm hearing the black iPad will be 12 inches, the white iPad will be 6 inches, and the gold iPad will be 3 inches...

[snigger]
  • Reply 48 of 83
    And unlike pessimistic mdriftmeyer, I think...

Realistic, you mean.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    You have your dimensions wrong, with the larger screen it would be ideal for Designers, Architects, Artists.. so it would be 16-9 ratio,
    not squared. Also with the narrower bezel it will only be slightly bigger over-all.

Here's a place to checkout screen-sizes: [URL=http://www.displaywars.com/9,7-inch-4x3-vs-12-inch-16x9]http://www.displaywars.com/9,7-inch-4x3-vs-12-inch-16x9[/URL]

These images don't show widescreen but the Wacom does 2nd in view.

[IMG ALT="CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75"]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/32243/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/32244/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 50 of 83

Get your @3x UI resources ready guys. A 12" iPad will surely have a 3072x2304 display to ensure it meets all reasonable expectations of being retina.

(PS: When I post a comment and get asked to log in (the pop up) the post gets lost and not posted.)

• Reply 51 of 83
    Will it require a 17W adapter?
  • Reply 52 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Oh no's that would mean another screen size to complicate the lives of developers. I mean that's the line yammered over and over when a larger iPhone is discussed.

HiDPI with Scalable Vector Graphics and the GPGPU to convert SVG/EPS/PS files to PNG/JPEG2000/TIFF is not a problem. This would require a Quad Core A7 and say 6 Cores for the PowerVR6 GPGPU but I would happily drop down $699-$799 for the 32GB WiFi model as the base line with it optioning to buy up to 128GB model.

It would be an ideal complement for the Macbook Pro/Mac Pro/iMac professional who could use the resources on their primary machine as a Distributed Objects machine to extend GCD for processing needs, thus making distributed computing of the '90s present in the 2010s.

• Reply 53 of 83
    I've been using my iPad more and more and have often thought having a second iPad would be worth it. One to used to reference documents and the other to work on. I use Omni Graffle on my Mac quite a bit and have considered purchasing it for my iPad, but decided against it due to the small screen size. If Apple produces a 12" iPad, I'm buying it.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Realistic, you mean.

I must be showing my stripes with working at NeXT and Apple, but anyone who thinks the 12" iPad is the NeXT beast of its day never worked in Silicon Valley.

This device, coupled in a Distribute Objects/GCD environment that has managed services to distribute processing within an available local network of available systems could truly allow for a more productive/creative workflow to compliment the present `consumption' environment that is the present iPad/iPhone embedded space.

Knowing Steve, it would have been his logical extension for the iPad that finally provides a true extension for producers [there are producers and consumers in the world] in their day-to-day workflow in all business sectors.

Whether it be for Medical Scans, Engineering in all manner of modeling, to Mathematical Analysis, to Data Mining modeling, etc., a much more robust system that compliments a more powerful laptop/desktop/workstation is something Steve would have envisioned.

Steve would never have envisioned this device as a replacement to your interconnected life, but an extension of it.

It's too bad he never wrote his true memoirs. My memories of his `pep speeches' about how NeXT would reinvent Apple are as crystal as the day he gave them.

• Reply 55 of 83

You put out a 13 inch  (and eventually a 15 inch iPad...) and smell the coffee.

No accident that Tim called the 'A7' a 'Desktop class' cpu...and with Rogue GPU?  It's a beach head.  A landmark release.

Stick one on your desk?  It's a desktop replacement.  iOS style.  (Dock your wireless keyboard...)

Put one on your lap while you cruise your sofa?  It's a laptop.  iOS style.  (Use your 'Ja Ja' pen...or your finger. :P )

God I hope so.

For artists everywhere?  Rejoice.  A Mac you can finally 'draw' and 'paint' on without feeling cramped.  I bought the 9-ish inch iPad and just felt cramped.

I'd be all over a 13 (and a 15 inch version...)  Imagine that with a nice stand on a desk?  Svelte.

If you can't see this coming?  Open your eyes.

Just a matter of when.  Same with a bigger 'iPhone.'  (4.8 to 5+ inches next year.)

*thinks about the transition from Apple II to Mac...

When I compare 'Procreate' to Painter 'X3', you can see which way the wind is blowing.  Free iOS iWorks apps or bloated MS 'Waffly Word?'  Less bloated, more bang for the buck.  More nimble...faster, responsive software.  Smaller code footprint.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 56 of 83

Owner of an iPad 3 by the way.

Edges are too sharp.

It's too heavy.

It's not powerful enough.

It's screen isn't large enough by a good 3 more inches.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 57 of 83
    I must be showing my stripes with working at NeXT and Apple, but anyone who thinks the 12" iPad is the NeXT beast of its day never worked in Silicon Valley.

This device, coupled in a Distribute Objects/GCD environment that has managed services to distribute processing within an available local network of available systems could truly allow for a more productive/creative workflow to compliment the present `consumption' environment that is the present iPad/iPhone embedded space.

Knowing Steve, it would have been his logical extension for the iPad that finally provides a true extension for producers [there are producers and consumers in the world] in their day-to-day workflow in all business sectors.

Whether it be for Medical Scans, Engineering in all manner of modeling, to Mathematical Analysis, to Data Mining modeling, etc., a much more robust system that compliments a more powerful laptop/desktop/workstation is something Steve would have envisioned.

Steve would never have envisioned this device as a replacement to your interconnected life, but an extension of it.

It's too bad he never wrote his true memoirs. My memories of his `pep speeches' about how NeXT would reinvent Apple are as crystal as the day he gave them.

That's the spirit!

Please, please, write those memories down, while they're still fresh. They don't have to be perfect, just give your sense of what was happening. This comes from someone who is also working with a visionary (in a very different field), and who is now painfully aware of how much historical info we've tossed over the years (for plenty of very good and pragmatic reasons--that now all sound a bit silly).
  • Reply 58 of 83

I hope the phone doesn't get bigger, I can barely operate my phone with one hand now (5s).  I do want the iPad to get bigger.  My observation is the iPad has become the travel partner, the couch companion, and the mobile portal.  The mini's for people who shove them in purses, the maxi's for the rest of us.  The two are too close in size now, they need to separate.

My personal belief is the big phone android people don't buy phones+tablets.  They try to compromise in-between.

• Reply 59 of 83

at 12" thats 1.5x what a purported 8" Mini RD would be… 

12" works well if you look at pixel density…

2x the iPad4 resolution on a 11.8" is 217ppi.  

That's almost the same  as 15" retina MBP and only 10ppi less than a 13"

That makes for the 'reasonable' transition size for a 4:3.

and it's also 1.5x the size of the iPhone 5 screen ratio, if they decide to go more 16:9 for the 12" (personal media device)

Either way it makes for a simple multiplier for transitional graphics.

As for any other size and functionality (keyboards etc), I think 

- 12" is still within the briefcase/folder space dimensions

- 12" aligns with it's current keyboard size

And long term transition to a 'laptop'  or 15" and 17" tablets, I don't think that will be the plan… My guess is  if they sell a 12" Tablet, the 11" MBA will go away, and the first ARM based 'laptop' will be dual boot (and/or a 'OSX' VM)  Product overlap makes for customer confusion. 

• Reply 60 of 83
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    drcreek wrote: »

I've been saying all along that I could see an iPad Pro - which would be an iPad in a notebook format. Sort of like Surface RT, but done right.
    philboogie wrote: »
    Will it require a 17W adapter?

Good catch. That sounds about right.