Rumor: Apple working on 12" iPad with partner manufacturer Quanta

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I've been saying all along that I could see an iPad Pro - which would be an iPad in a notebook format. Sort of like Surface RT, but done right.

Good catch. That sounds about right.

17W does sound right.

I have a hard time with a note/book/keyboard format.  confusion in the eye of consumers between of MBA vs iPad 12.   But a keyboard 'folio' makes more sense (now that apple is fully engaging iPhone covers and smart covers on iPads).

• Reply 62 of 83

Guys and Gals.   A larger than 10" iPad is as inevitable as the iPad mini was. 

It will not run OS X.  That's what MacBooks are for. 

Target markets would be 

Media Creators - Photography, Video, Music, Drawing and Painting 

Business - Presentations,  Point of Sale, Kiosks, Real Estate 

Home -  laptop replacement,  gaming system,  Home Control

and much more 

By going larger Apple gets to use future beefier ARM cores (A5x and beyond).  I could see a larger iPad being more of a 

desktop device than the current iPads.   Retina viewing distance would be likely beyond a foot. 

I could see a pressure sensitive stylus API coming directly from Apple to aid DCC artists. 

• Reply 63 of 83
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    17W does sound right.

I have a hard time with a note/book/keyboard format.  confusion in the eye of consumers between of MBA vs iPad 12.   But a keyboard 'folio' makes more sense (now that apple is fully engaging iPhone covers and smart covers on iPads).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'folio'. To me, it's the same thing. Keyboard attached to display. Whether you call it a notebook or a folio, it's the same thing. I wouldn't expect it to look exactly the same as the MBA since they would take design cues from the iPad rather than their existing laptops, but the essential elements would be the same.

I don't think it will be that hard to avoid confusion. Simply calling it an iPad Pro tells people that it's an iPad.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    I must be showing my stripes with working at NeXT and Apple, but anyone who thinks the 12" iPad is the NeXT beast of its day never worked in Silicon Valley.

Certainly seem to have earned them!
    This device, coupled in a Distribute Objects/GCD environment that has managed services to distribute processing within an available local network of available systems could truly allow for a more productive/creative workflow to compliment the present `consumption' environment that is the present iPad/iPhone embedded space.

That would be way cool, use iPads as 'terminals' and have the trucks doing the heavy lifting.
    Knowing Steve, it would have been his logical extension for the iPad that finally provides a true extension for producers [there are producers and consumers in the world] in their day-to-day workflow in all business sectors.

Whether it be for Medical Scans, Engineering in all manner of modeling, to Mathematical Analysis, to Data Mining modeling, etc., a much more robust system that compliments a more powerful laptop/desktop/workstation is something Steve would have envisioned.

Steve would never have envisioned this device as a replacement to your interconnected life, but an extension of it.

The more I read about him, the more I understand it all - making sense of it all.
    It's too bad he never wrote his true memoirs. My memories of his `pep speeches' about how NeXT would reinvent Apple are as crystal as the day he gave them.

Amen.
  • Reply 65 of 83

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It's too bad he never wrote his true memoirs. My memories of his `pep speeches' about how NeXT would reinvent Apple are as crystal as the day he gave them.

Originally Posted by Jaker's Ugly Brother View Post

Please, please, write those memories down, while they're still fresh. They don't have to be perfect, just give your sense of what was happening. This comes from someone who is also working with a visionary (in a very different field), and who is now painfully aware of how much historical info we've tossed over the years (for plenty of very good and pragmatic reasons--that now all sound a bit silly).

Yes, transcribe, transcribe!

• Reply 66 of 83
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    They would have to find a way to make it lighter, because the current machine, at 1.46 pounds, does get tiring to hold.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

They would have to find a way to make it lighter, because the current machine, at 1.46 pounds, does get tiring to hold.

Disclaimer: I wouldn’t ingest this stuff if you paid me, but hey, some people say it works or whatever. Anyway, a pound and a half is namby pamby territory.

• Reply 68 of 83

I know where this is going...

• Reply 69 of 83
    Originally Posted by SirGav1n View Post
    I know where this is going...

I always liked that picture. At least it was creative Photoshoppery.

On that note, multitouch is the future of all computing. A 15” iPad at my arm and a 42” touchscreen computer (not Macintosh; that’s keyboard and mouse) at home, managing the house, being my source of heavy power, and doing what the portable can’t due to power and size.

On an unrelated note, I wonder how Adobe feels about being permanently associated with lies.

• Reply 70 of 83
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Finally Apple is planning for large ipad.  I'm waiting for this for a long time.  Hope it can run MacOSX too.

• Reply 71 of 83
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Hope it can run MacOSX too.

Not gonna happen. OS XI, though? I’d be surprised if the 12” and 15” iPads didn’t.

• Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, transcribe, transcribe!

One example was in NeXT Headquarters Bldg, 1., with Steve and Avi coming in to explain how asinine Gil Amelio and the rest of the Executive Team [not all but most: you can surmise which people Steve liked and which ones had to go] vision for Apple moving forward would entail by mocking the very internal code name of OS X: Rhapsody. Picture Steve in a turtleneck, NBs on his feet and 501s holding a fresh cup of tea from the kitchen at NeXT exaggerating with his hands as he wistfully expresses the code name: `Rhapppsody.'

He hated it. Avi hated it but it was already there and they had more important stuff to fix.

He went on to discuss a vision for the enterprise that never materialized because the consumer space was not stable: He envisioned 32 core servers stomping the crap out of the competition from the consumer to the enterprise: In short, using n-tier computing with Distributed Objects which they call `The Cloud' today.

He expected us all from NeXT to make it happen as he already knew what could be accomplished from our teams. He then discussed how we were going to be left alone, do our present legacy work and move forward, while he and a few lieutenants would go around and start point blank asking people what they do for Apple. It was the beginning of the reinvention of Apple.

Apple had an internal server for anonymous griping via the web for everyone to read. Personally, I thought it was a chicken **** means of pampering egos and not resolving conflict.

The day Steve announced the cancellation of vendors for Espresso, Lattes, etc., the list went irate. What they didn't know is he planned a few days later to introduce a new vision for the amenities and it included those beverages for free with an entirely reinvented food menu to cover anyone's diets.

The day he cut Sabbaticals was another classic where so many `anonymous' thoughts were proclaiming it was the only reason they still remained at Apple. That prompted Steve to tell them to not let the door hit them in the ass on the way out because Apple needed focus and anyone not interested should leave now. We had roughly 3 months of working capital left and no time to see 1/3rd of the entire staff leave for up to 12 week sabbaticals.

The bitching between Red Box and Blue Box, to Yellow Box being a distraction and not helping us grow our base while allowing every excuse for users to stay on Windows was another round of heated debates. History shows what won.

Walking through the amount of office space dedicated to the 26 marketing teams was effing retarded. Those folks weren't too happy to be cut loose after the consolidation into a single focused team.

Having Motley Crue visit to kick of their Generation Swine Tour in the main courtyard and talking to Mick, Nikki, Vince and Tommy was a hoot. I asked them what was the reason for showing up and they all pointed to Tommy Lee. He was a huge fan of Apple and they became big fans as well.

The Day we all were driven over to DeAnza College and he unveiled the iMac was a big freaking deal. It was the same day the naysayers at work finally bought in.

• Reply 73 of 83

Love it, and it’s as primary a source as can be had!

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

He went on to discuss a vision for the enterprise that never materialized because the consumer space was not stable: He envisioned 32 core servers stomping the crap out of the competition from the consumer to the enterprise: In short, using n-tier computing with Distributed Objects which they call `The Cloud' today.

So was Steve one of the first to come up with this idea (not necessarily the specs of everything, but the structure), or had he heard it and immediately seen its potential, latching on?

• Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The day Steve announced the cancellation of vendors for Espresso, Lattes, etc., the list went irate. What they didn't know is he planned a few days later to introduce a new vision for the amenities and it included those beverages for free with an entirely reinvented food menu to cover anyone's diets.

Hahaha, I went through a day like that. Our CEO threw out our decades-old percolators. Just had them thrown in the trash and taken away. Same idea: bring in shiny new drip coffee makers the next day, as a thank-you gesture to the troops. But during that one coffee-less day, I honestly think there might have been a riot. Had he not been off schmoozing for a new round of funding, I don't think that our dear leader would have made it out of the building in one piece.

Seriously, you don't mess with someone's caffeine supply without giving them lots of advance warning. Or, better yet, Just. Don't. Do. It.

You know, I really miss perk coffee. The smell, it goes through the whole building, nothing beats it on a cold morning. And the taste, more burned, bitter, not as oily as fancy coffee. Good, solid, reliable. Like the Midwest in a cup.

• Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Love it, and it’s as primary a source as can be had!

So was Steve one of the first to come up with this idea (not necessarily the specs of everything, but the structure), or had he heard it and immediately seen its potential, latching on?

NeXT, in general, with Portable Distributed Objects and Distributed Objects built into NeXTSTEP from the beginning with a rich Services environment [still not very impressed with what OS X Services do between vendors] had 3rd parties working in conjunction with one another and building tiers of capabilities.

The Cloud movement is just a more open spec'd solution to Client-Server systems in a manner that integrates the Web Interfaces for many redundant services that native apps will always do better.

Steve always approached it from the Consumer space, where the original Client-Sever approach preferred the enterprise/business back end. In a sense, the Cloud world is taking Steve's consumer focus and using the Web interfaces where disparate platforms don't communicate.

It's not a best of breed solution, just a best of a mixed-breed of solutions.

Google's Web App future will never win out. Performance will always be king. Native iOS/OSX Cocoa based apps with WebKit for the overlap will force Google to keep Android around. If they truly want to write in PNaCL crap they are working on then they should cancel Android's VM and see how it works out. Like most of Google's lab experiments, eventually they get scrapped.

• Reply 76 of 83
    So true about Google!
  • Reply 77 of 83

The iMac can't get any thinner, but it can get more portable. It's the natural evolution of the iMac.

• Reply 78 of 83
    ingela wrote: »
    The iMac can't get any thinner

Sure it can. They can put the computer in the stand. It's not like they haven't done it before:

• Reply 79 of 83
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It would be the size of the 12" G4 Powerbook display:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/32470/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

That design actually looks a lot like the modern iPad. With a resolution of 2048x1536, they can split the display down the middle to run two apps at 1024x768 at once e.g calculator + Numbers or Twitter + Facebook or a browser + Pages. It would have to share one on-screen keyboard between them but you'd tap an input first anyway. When you turn it round, the two apps would rotate to the opposite view. It would need gestures to enable/disable the center split.
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Sure it can. They can put the computer in the stand. It's not like they haven't done it before:

You're right, I just meant that for a consumer product, having the iMac be able to leave the stand would be the natural evolution of it. It would be great for students and designers.