Retina display-toting iPad mini may not ship with 'iPad 5' this year, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    I can't remember a single iPhone or iPad release since the iPhone 4 where there was no claim by somebody that there is a shortage, manufacturing problems etc.
    Getting old isn't it.
    As these products are normally sold out over the first weekend, this is a self-fulfilling prophecy. "See! They don't have enough! I was right!"
    Silly isn't it but even in this forum you see gullible people that eat up these announcements.
    For some strange reason, except for the white iPhone 4 (that obviously really had problems initially) every single of these products shipped in higher numbers than their respective predecessor.
    Yep, Apple is shipping in volumes few manufactures even dream about.
    There are several "retina" / hi-dpi small tablets by now – they cost next to nothing, even Amazon can make one. But Apple can't buy any? Yeah. I totally believe that.
    Even the large iPad has one. So if it is possible there why not on a smaller machine? Sometime I just think these guys leaking these rumors are just getting off on the idea that they can jerk people around.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    adonissmu wrote: »
    If the iPad 5 has the same form factor as the mini theyll be less desire for a mini.

Nope. Not for me, I'm holding out for a retina mini, for easier portability. But even if the mini doesn't have retina I'll still buy it this fall over a retina iPad 5.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Amazon and Google can manage to launch small retina tablets at a lower price than the current mini but Apple cant manage to do it?
  • Reply 24 of 61
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Amazon and Google can manage to launch small retina tablets at a lower price than the current mini but Apple cant manage to do it?

I don't believe this for one second.  Besides WSJ and Bloomberg said a retina mini was coming.  I'd tend to believe them over anyone else.

• Reply 25 of 61
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    rather odd saying that Apple can not make enough retina ipad mini's to meet demand thus they will not release the retina mini...
    why not let it sell out and still keep selling the regular mini... so if you want a retina mini, wait... otherwise buy a iPad...

if apple can't make enough retina mini's... how can Amazon make enough the Fire HD's...

lol, how about "just let them buy retina iPads" a joking reference to the meme "well, let them eat cake"...
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Sonny Dickson (who was very accurate with his iPhone leaks) says mini will have fingerprint reader and same color options as 5S. He claims the mini will have 1GB ram, while the full size iPad will have 2. Both will utilize A7.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SonnyDickson/tweets

BVJNUcPCMAEWhEz.jpg

BVJNh7xCEAA6LvY.jpg

Assuming this is accurate (and again, he was accurate with all his iPhone leaks) then there's no way the new mini won't have retina display. They're not going to give it A7, touch id and 1GB ram but leave out retina display.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    I believe Apple plans to use their unique film based touch technology built into their iPad mini with no retina display. This allows the unit to be very thin. Manufacturing these for a Retina may present problems not encountered by others using older technologies and thicker tablets. Remember, the retina iPad is thicker than the non retina. These are not easy engineering or production problems.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    I believe Apple plans to use their unique film based touch technology built into their iPad mini with no retina display. This allows the unit to be very thin. Manufacturing these for a Retina may present problems not encountered by others using older technologies and thicker tablets. Remember, the retina iPad is thicker than the non retina. These are not easy engineering or production problems.

I don't buy this. iPod touch is super thin but has retina display. Other companies don't seem to have a problem putting high res displays in their tablets. And their tablets aren't that much heavier than the mini. Even prior skeptic John Gruber thinks the mini will be retina - mostly because that's what iOS 7 was designed for.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I think I'll write a play called "Waiting for Igzo" (accent on the last syllable), "A Tragicomedy in Two Acts."

There are two characters. One says they must wait for Igzo. The other says he doesn't believe there is an Igzo. They go back and forth about this tediously for much of the play.

I haven't worked out the ending yet . . .

The ending is when the audience dies of boredom.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Mac Pro and iPad 5 should be the big ticket items. Somewhere in there hopefully they'll toss in a Haswell MacBook Pro.

Oh, and ice cream. They'll have ice cream. Maybe.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    applepi wrote: »
    Agreed. Apple is not going to annouce a retina mini and ship it after the Holidays. That would kill the sales of the mini at a time when they could be making big Holiday money. Either they release it or they don't hold an event. No reason to hold an event for just the full sized iPad.  

Hahahahaha lol. You can't be serious.

No reason to hold an event for "just" the iPad?

You do realize, that with or without a retina display, the mini will be updated. And with or without a retina display on the updated mini, the brand new redesigned iPad is what will steal the show.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Sonny Dickson (who was very accurate with his iPhone leaks) says mini will have fingerprint reader and same color options as 5S. He claims the mini will have 1GB ram, while the full size iPad will have 2. Both will utilize A7.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SonnyDickson/tweets

BVJNUcPCMAEWhEz.jpg

BVJNh7xCEAA6LvY.jpg

Assuming this is accurate (and again, he was accurate with all his iPhone leaks) then there's no way the new mini won't have retina display. They're not going to give it A7, touch id and 1GB ram but leave out retina display.

All of those upgrades PLUS Retina sound pricey to me.

Maybe Apple will give the iPad Mini 2 major upgrades such as A7 and Touch ID, and not add Retina? 

I have a feeling Touch ID alone would cause people to buy the Mini over competing tablets.

• Reply 33 of 61
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    g-news wrote: »
    Not having an iPad mini ready for the holiday seasons would be a very bad move. There must be millions of people only waiting to burn their money on one of these, arguably even more than there are waiting for the iPad 5.
    Not having this ready for the most important season of the year would definitely reflect on the stock market through the analysts.

Yea ok. I'll bet you 80000000000 x infinity dollars that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if the refreshed mini has a retina display or not.

If you think 95% of the target market for the mini has any clue or care in the world about said feature, you're freaking delusional.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member

I wonder who exactly here is freaking delusional.

If you have followed the IT market even just a tiny bit for the last 40 years, people have ALWAYS gone for the bigger numbers.

Your comment quite frankly makes you look stupid.

• Reply 35 of 61
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    blackbook wrote: »

Maybe Apple will give the iPad Mini 2 major upgrades such as A7 and Touch ID, and not add Retina? 

I have a feeling Touch ID alone would cause people to buy the Mini over competing tablets.

With all those upgrades- id be willing to spend more. Maybe $379. I'd much rather them increase the specs AND the price than just keep the price the same and moderate spec bumps like an A6, 1 GB ram, and maybe or maybe not a retina. $50 is well worth a touch ID and an A7. Well worth it. Now if we can get it all AND stay at $329... Then wow.

As a side note- that gold iPad mini is GORGEOUS.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    blackbook wrote: »

If Apple leaves retina off this iPad they're just asking people to buy a competitors device with superior display. This is just my opinion but if I had to chose between touch id and retina on the iPad, it would be retina full stop. Retina is much more than just a nice to have. And with competitors selling cheaper tablets with much better displays it would really make Apple look pathetic. Especially with iOS 7 being designed specifically with retina in mind.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    pmz wrote: »
    Yea ok. I'll bet you 80000000000 x infinity dollars that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if the refreshed mini has a retina display or not.

If you think 95% of the target market for the mini has any clue or care in the world about said feature, you're freaking delusional.
    You're the one that's delusional. Competitors have cheaper tablets with better displays. That is a FACT. Considering the mini is primarily a reading and consumption device, having retina is a huge selling feature. If Apple releases a retina mini it's game over. If they don't, then big score for Amazon and Google. There is zero business sense in releasing another mini without retina. And if its a technical issue then one has to wonder how other companies are able to release devices with betters quality displays and decent battery life for much cheaper. And these devices aren't thick, heavy bricks either. Sorry but people are running out of good excuses for the mini not going retina.
  • Reply 38 of 61

Been using the Mini for about a year now.  The Screen looks great!....

I just don't really see the need for the higher rez display...  It would be nice I guess, but not if it makes the unit heaver or thicker.....

I would assume that a retina display would need more processor power and more battery???? 

• Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I can't remember a single iPhone or iPad release since the iPhone 4 where there was no claim by somebody that there is a shortage, manufacturing problems etc.

As these products are normally sold out over the first weekend, this is a self-fulfilling prophecy. "See! They don't have enough! I was right!"

For some strange reason, except for the white iPhone 4 (that obviously really had problems initially) every single of these products shipped in higher numbers than their respective predecessor.

There are several "retina" / hi-dpi small tablets by now – they cost next to nothing, even Amazon can make one. But Apple can't buy any? Yeah. I totally believe that.

Competitors' HD displays are running 1900x1080.  The ipad runs 2048x1536, much higher than "full HD".  

So it's very possible that they can't produce the highest res tablet screens on the market at satisfactory yields.

• Reply 40 of 61

Big mistake if they don't make a retina Mini this year.

After using Retina displays and other HD tablets, you just can't go back.