Retina display-toting iPad mini may not ship with 'iPad 5' this year, report says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If they don't, then big score for Amazon and Google.

Not really; people don’t want their products.

There is zero business sense in releasing another mini without retina.

Except if the panels don’t exist.

And if its a technical issue then one has to wonder how other companies are able to release devices with betters quality displays and decent battery life for much cheaper.

Because they use effing TN panels and Apple uses H-IPS. Because Amazon loses money on every one they sell. Because they use plastic parts and NAND that fails after a year. Because they couldn’t care less about the quality of the device. Because selling said devices is not the end, but rather the means to the end. You are being whored out to their advertisers for the privilege of using worthless hardware and crap software. 

Pick one. Pick two; they’re big.

Sorry but people are running out of good excuses for the mini not going retina. 

I guess the laws of physics aren’t good enough.

• Reply 42 of 61
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I hope this isn't true. On a related subject, other tablet manufactures don't seem to have problems with yields of 'Retina' resolution displays of any size, why would Apple? Is it something to do with the production volumes involved (Apple has to make a lot more of them) or what?
  • Reply 43 of 61

I don't think iPad 5 will have a huge impact as the previous iPad's. Surface 2 is getting good reviews and acceptance. http://t.co/aHtolj0yH5

• Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

if I had to chose between touch id and retina on the iPad, it would be retina full stop.

I would as well.

That's why I'm surprised at these late rumors of no Retina (again) and Touch ID.

• Reply 45 of 61

What???  They have as much yield as they want on the LARGER FULL SIZE IPAD!  Why would they not be able to get high yield on a smaller screen where yields are higher!.  Stupid..

• Reply 47 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Maybe a golden Mini with TouchID
    Yes. Surely this is on tap for the premium iPad?

Will they continue the iPad 2? Perhaps in a colored plastic case without the touch sensor? LOL

The mini really must get the touch sensor as well, if not the retina screen. That will at least drive new sales.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    mac_128 wrote: »
    The mini really must get the touch sensor as well, if not the retina screen. That will at least drive new sales.

I think the Mini is the far more likely candidate for TouchID than the 9.7 incher, because of its mobility. The Retina display would be nice, I guess, though every time I look at the Mini I cannot discern/distinguish the pixels (not the right word, can't find it in my head, need new HDD/SSD). Maybe I'm loosing my 20/20 here...
  • Reply 49 of 61
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Not really; people don’t want their products.
    I hope Apple execs don't have their head in the sand unlike some people here.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I think the Mini is the far more likely candidate for TouchID than the 9.7 incher, because of its mobility. The Retina display would be nice, I guess, though every time I look at the Mini I cannot discern/distinguish the pixels (not the right word, can't find it in my head, need new HDD/SSD). Maybe I'm loosing my 20/20 here...

I will never own a mini until it has retina display. I use my iPad for reading and that's where you notice it the most.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    rogifan wrote: »
    I hope Apple execs don't have their head in the sand unlike some people here.

Which people? This people?

rogifan wrote: »

I will never own a mini until it has retina display. I use my iPad for reading and that's where you notice it the most.

I'll open a book or page full of text this Monday when I'm in a Store again and check it out. See if I can tell the difference with the 9.7". Tnx
  • Reply 52 of 61

If this doesn't happen, Apple is going to lose market share hand over fist.

I know several people, myself included, who just couldn't wait and bought the new Nexus 7.

Both the Nexus 7 and the new Kindle HDX have 1920x1200 displays at 323 PPI.  The Mini has a 1024x768 display at 163 PPI.  

I know Apple doesn't like spec. comparisons, but this is getting embarrassing and they need to fix it.  

• Reply 53 of 61
    Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

If this doesn't happen, Apple is going to lose market share hand over fist.

Completely and utterly wrong.

I know several people, myself included, who just couldn't wait and bought the new Nexus 7.

Enjoy your trash.

I know Apple doesn't like spec. comparisons, but this is getting embarrassing and they need to fix it.  

There’s nothing to “fix”. It’s not “broken”. You don’t really understand what’s going on here.

• Reply 54 of 61
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    Apple might release a bigger iPhone once they find the components they are happy with, I don't think they can avoid it. And Cook pretty much said so. But it will not be in "phablet" territory, maybe something between 4.5 and 5 Inches.

But a phablet? One of these Samsung atrocities? Never. (I would not rule out putting telephony capabilities into a larger tablet, IF there is a reasonable mean to make use of it without holding that pizza box to your ear.)
    I'm hoping for an OLED display like the Nokia lumia, deeper blacks would make me happy.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Completely and utterly wrong.

Enjoy your trash.

There’s nothing to “fix”. It’s not “broken”. You don’t really understand what’s going on here.

Firstly, I bought the Nexus 7 for my wife, who absolutely loves it.  I've used it a few times and to be honest, while I'm an Apple guy, it is very very good.

In terms of not knowing what's going on, please educate yourself.  Apple is losing market share both in terms of units sold and revenue and to add insult to injury, the ASP is declining.  This can be squarely put at the feet of the iPad mini which is woefully behind the competition in terms of the screen and the CPU.  I want Apple to dramatically improve it in this generation so it not only catches up, but passes the competition.  The A7 processor is fantastic, if they put a decent screen on it, I think we may have a winner.

Here's some material to educate yourself:

ABI Research identified three major events that led it to conclude that, “Apple’s iPad family of products has passed the baton to the Android ecosystem.” First, the market research firm noted that sales of Android-based tablets topped sales of Apple’s iPads for the first time in the second quarter of 2013. According to IDC data, Apple sold 14.6 million iPads while various competitors sold a total of 30.5 million Android-based tablets.

Second, ABI Research points out that Android-based tablet vendors acquired 50 percent of the total tablet market revenues for the first time. According to the ABI Research’s data, Apple secured $6.3 billion of the $12.7 billion total tablet market revenues in the second quarter of 2013.

Finally, the research firm notes that the average selling price of Apple’s iPad fell 17 percent over the past year while the average selling price of competitors’ tablets actually increased 17 percent. Since the iPad’s average selling price is moving closer to the market average, ABI Research believes that this is a sign that Apple is losing its leadership position.

• Reply 56 of 61

Apple is losing market share both in terms of units sold and revenue and to add insult to injury, the ASP is declining.  This can be squarely put at the feet of the iPad mini which is woefully behind the competition in terms of the screen and the CPU.

When you have any proof of those statements, feel free to post them.

The rest of those paragraphs were good for a laugh, though. “Apple is losing its leadership position…” Heh.

• Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When you have any proof of those statements, feel free to post them.

The rest of those paragraphs were good for a laugh, though. “Apple is losing its leadership position…” Heh.

Read the lead story on appleinsider as I write this.  

Talk about bad timing on your part!

I don't understand people like you at all.  You supposedly like Apple, but you have no problems defending them when they put out a poor product causing harm to their business.  The stupid thing is that if they put out a decent 8" tablet, they could still regain some share, but you defend a poor product instead.    If all their fans urged them to build a winning product, I'm sure they would.

• Reply 58 of 61
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    jamesmac wrote: »
    while I'm an Apple guy

...posting on Windows.
    jamesmac wrote: »
    Apple is losing market share both in terms of units sold and revenue and to add insult to injury, the ASP is declining.  This can be squarely put at the feet of the iPad mini which is woefully behind the competition in terms of the screen and the CPU.  I want Apple to dramatically improve it in this generation so it not only catches up, but passes the competition.  The A7 processor is fantastic, if they put a decent screen on it, I think we may have a winner.

Apple still sells just under double the units of the next highest tablet vendor though and over 7x the 3rd highest vendor.

There does seem to be a problem this year in that sales dropped in the most recent quarter vs last year. This is going to happen inevitably as the market saturates and because they made the iPad too good at the beginning as there's very little compelling reason to keep buy new ones. If you already have an iPad 3 with Retina display for reading books, an iPad 5 isn't really going to offer much more.

A Retina mini will help push some upgrades but it may not be enough to keep up the momentum. Tablets could well go the way of televisions in that they are conduits for content and if you get a cheap one or expensive one, the functionality is going to be the same. The experience will differ from cheap to expensive but a lot of people that just use them for basic use would get by with cheaper ones.
    jamesmac wrote:
    The stupid thing is that if they put out a decent 8" tablet, they could still regain some share, but you defend a poor product instead.

The iPad mini is still a better product for everything else and the screen resolution is quite a minor factor. Apple isn't being outsold by higher resolution tablets, Apple still outnumbers the top 5 Android vendors combined that sell premium tablets. If the bulk of Android sales are from inexpensive tablets then it's the same story of Android selling because it's cheap not because it's better.

Companies respond to sales drops after they happen, so a Retina mini could be up next given that iPad sales fell or they might give it another year to verify it. They didn't move the Macbook Air to Retina and they still need to try and maintain margins but the tech will become cheap enough that they will be able to do it. Just because other manufacturers manage it though doesn't mean it's feasible for Apple as a number of Android manufacturers sell with zero profit margins.
  • Reply 59 of 61

Read the lead story on appleinsider as I write this. Talk about bad timing on your part!

Yeah, what story?

I don't understand people like you at all.  You supposedly like Apple, but you have no problems defending them when they put out a poor product causing harm to their business. The stupid thing is that if they put out a decent 8" tablet, they could still regain some share, but you defend a poor product instead.

Because it isn’t a poor product as it is. Because it isn’t doing harm to their business. Because absolutely everything about said product proves this to you and yet people like you ignore the truth when it’s crapped out literally RIGHT on your face, up your nostrils and into your mouth, and you still think you deserve to be listened to! Apple doesn’t have to do ANYTHING.

And now don’t you dare pretend that I’m claiming they won’t or that they shouldn’t. Read the sentence again.

If all their fans urged them to build a winning product, I'm sure they would. 

Nice try.

• Reply 60 of 61
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

FACT: The next mini may or may not have a retina screen.

Announcing the new iPad shuffle.

Now all your documents are just a triple-click-and-hold then double-click-while-shaking-the-device away.