Review: Sony's Cyber-shot QX10 wireless camera lens for iPhone [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    gtr wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sony suck at software.

Steve Jobs: "Those that are serious about software should do their own hardware."

AND VICE-VERSA.

Looking forward to version 2 or 3...

For further proof see BlackBerry and Palm, oh wait...
  • Reply 22 of 45

Sony = Great Hardware + Bad Software

Apple = Good Hardware + Great Software

This is why Apple is successful, making the complex simple. not dumbing it down and removing features, it's about making options accessible without a steep learning curve. Apple helps creativity flow without a puzzle-like interface getting in the way.

• Reply 23 of 45
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    For further proof see BlackBerry and Palm, oh wait...

Let me add the obvious for your benefit.

...and when you do your software, do it PROPERLY.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    gtr wrote: »
    Let me add the obvious for your benefit.

...and when you do your software, do it PROPERLY.

Seems like some highly paid executives missed out on that obviousness.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    hi
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Camera quality only seemed 5% better (I rather spend the $200 on a bigger flash drive, it is not its own case (which of connected by lighting a lot better than wifi) obviously weighs and takes up room, and want be readily available or look weird, you will likely prefer on board(unless you love pixel density).
  • Reply 27 of 45

I can see how BLE can be put to use here. But BLE is not automatically iBeacon. This is not about micro-location or geofencing. 

• Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Sony = Great Hardware + Bad Software

Apple = Good Hardware + Great Software

This is why Apple is successful, making the complex simple. not dumbing it down and removing features, it's about making options accessible without a steep learning curve. Apple helps creativity flow without a puzzle-like interface getting in the way.

Apple's hardware is only good and not great?

• Reply 29 of 45

pretty interesting bit of tech, the QX10 seems like a waste of time to me, the quality jump over the iPhone 5S is hard to justify for the price, the QX100, would have much much better quality pics but for $500 you jump into the territory of full on camera, DSLRs or a proper enthusiast camera.

I think this has its place tho, paired with a phone, this is a social media capture device i think.

Instagram/Flickr type people, maybe vloggers & youtubers.

• Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I don't think Apple allows a device like this to connect via bluetooth.

Based on what exactly? Where has Apple stopped anyone using Bluetooth for something like this?

• Reply 31 of 45
    mikejones wrote: »
    Based on what exactly? Where has Apple stopped anyone using Bluetooth for something like this?

I bought a OBDII for auto diagnostics and the unit can only connect with iOS device through wifi but that very same unit can connect to a Android device via bluetooth.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:

I bought a OBDII for auto diagnostics and the unit can only connect with iOS device through wifi but that very same unit can connect to a Android device via bluetooth.

Okay, but that isn't conclusive evidence that Apple stopped them. There are plenty of certified hardware peripherals that use Bluetooth on iOS why would Apple have prevented that random item from using it but not all the others? So Apple allows game controllers, POS systems, keyboard cases, etc. to use Bluetooth but somehow they are stopping that? And to further add, why would Apple have allowed this along with its approved app if they were somehow blocking Bluetooth for Sony's camera lens? Why would they allow you to connect via Bluetooth to a DSLR to take pictures yet block an attachable camera lens? Your claim seem highly dubious.

• Reply 33 of 45
    mikejones wrote: »

Okay, but that isn't conclusive evidence that Apple stopped them. There are plenty of certified hardware peripherals that use Bluetooth on iOS why would Apple have prevented that random item from using it but not all the others? So Apple allows game controllers, POS systems, keyboard cases, etc. to use Bluetooth but somehow they are stopping that? And to further add, why would Apple have allowed this along with its approved app if they were somehow blocking Bluetooth for Sony's camera lens? Why would they allow you to connect via Bluetooth to a DSLR to take pictures yet block an attachable camera lens? Your claim seem highly dubious.

This is over a year old so not sure if it's still entirely the case.

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Bluetooth
  • Reply 34 of 45

Most folks who would buy such product would probably opt for QX100, so I am a bit disappointed that AppleInsider chose to review QX10 instead. Having said that, usage issues and quirks are very good to know, and they reinforce my long held belief that Sony is capable of making good hardware but rarely software (games excluded).

I hope Sony believes in the direction of such product and improves QX10 and QX100 with better tethering (with Bluetooth Low Energy which any devices can use), support for 5GHz Wi-Fi Direct for less crowding, a dedicated case for iPhone models, and most of all, better software with full manual mode and RAW format support.

I would also like to see wider support for 3rd party apps, and partnering with popular app makers such as tap tap tap (Camera+).

• Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:

This is over a year old so not sure if it's still entirely the case.

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Bluetooth

That information is like 3 years old. It refers to "iPhoneOS 3.0", references only Bluetooth 2 and 2.1 and the latest hardware for the iPhone it mentions is the iPhone 4. You're going to need something far better than some random wiki with unsourced claims of what Apple was doing. Especially in light of what I linked to in my post which is both a DSLR and an Apple-approved app that uses Bluetooth 4 LE for connecting. There would be zero reason for Apple to approve such a thing and block Sony from doing the same. It's far more likely that Sony simply didn't include Bluetooth 4 LE.

• Reply 36 of 45
    This is only usefull when camera phones have only 1.3MP camera back in 2005. Why it tools 8 years for Sony to finally figure out something just to find out it no longer needed, duh??? With just 5 or 8MP camera I am just so happy with, and it takes just seconds to pull it the phone and start taking pics without any clunky things attached. I wear jeans and T-shirt at a football stadium with my iPhone in the pocket, have no room for this thing, I don't bring handbag of course. I am a boy, d d d d duh?
  • Reply 37 of 45

I would probably just invest in a decent DLSR POINT & SHOT CANON maybe, but my last experience with SONY was i spent almost $300 on that black boom box iphone radio speaker thingy and now its a GODDAM BRICK DOOR STOP after a little over a 1 year of sporadic use the thing just just started to give me an ERROR message and won't work and I am so pissed that SONY SUCKS AND I WILL NEVER INVEST IN THAT COMPANY EVER AGAIN!!! save your $$$ the photos lQQK like CRAP anyway and the WIF setup was DUMB and STUPID on SONY's part why not use the LIGHTENING CONNECTOR or BLUETOOTH WTF???!!! TOTAL AND UTTER FAIL!!!

• Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

I would probably just invest in a decent DLSR POINT & SHOT CANON 

Not being a hater on your crazy guy rant.

DSLRs are the opposite to a point & shoot camera, just had to throw that out there. 

Im no sony lover, but they currently make the best mirrorless cameras you can buy & the top enthusiast cameras, which the QX100 takes its parts from.

Calm damn, have a coke & a smile, just don't buy it if you don't like it. 

• Reply 39 of 45
    Sony failed on this. Thy have to develop a smaller lens to fit on a iPhone. This one is to bulky.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Seems like some highly paid executives missed out on that obviousness.

Considering how much these 'highly paid executives' are costing their companies it makes you wonder how their companies can continue to afford keeping such unprofitable advice, doesn't it?